• April 27, 2024, 04:20:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29439 times)

Lecram

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »

I finally have mine at home, they should be getting installed somewhere in May. The 13.2kW fluid cooled version sure comes with a lot of wires :o With the next winter ahead, I'm wondering what the right coolant for the system is, red or blue.
Cool! Does that mean that you have the 13.2 kW version? How do you wire this at 3 fases?
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2017, 08:36:06 PM »

I'm wondering what the right coolant for the system is, red or blue.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2017, 01:57:59 AM »

Here is the 6.6 kW Diginow under the locking tank with plenty of room for another 3.3 kW module, or some Californian Epic Burritos warmed by the chargers.

Today, I was at another station and there was a normal NEMA 5-15 outlet right next to the EV charge station so I could also plug in the on board charger for a total of 7.9 kW.  YEAH!
So you cut off storage container itself from the rest of the tank plastics?

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2017, 02:33:57 AM »

Yes, I took a dremmel and cut out the storage 'bucket' with exception to the section that gets held to the frame with 2 screws. The sins of the cut are mostly hidden under the tank.  It looks good.

I also had to remove the helmet lock, which was not easy, but there is some information on it on the "unofficial manual".  And there is a ground terminal that I had to screw down somewhere else.   

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2017, 02:36:41 AM »

Yes, I took a dremmel and cut out the storage 'bucket' with exception to the section that gets held to the frame with 2 screws. The sins of the cut are mostly hidden under the tank.  It looks good.

I also had to remove the helmet lock, which was not easy, but there is some information on it on the "unofficial manual".  And there is a ground terminal that I had to screw down somewhere else.

What was the need to remove helmet lock for?

I currently have '16 PowerTank plastic with J inlet mounted on it but thinking about switching to your style.

How weatherproof is the lid itself?

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:12 AM »

I have a 2015, so it came with a helmet lock and the zipper bag (just to be clear).

The 2017 locking tank interferes with the 2015 helmet lock, but it has 2 helmet lock features built in to the tank that can lock a helmet when you close the top and lock it.  I can't use it if I'm charging, but I can use my top case. 

The helmet lock was not great in that location anyway.  I was never able to lock a helmet there without a cable loop!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2017, 03:59:35 AM »

I finally have mine at home, they should be getting installed somewhere in May. The 13.2kW fluid cooled version sure comes with a lot of wires :o With the next winter ahead, I'm wondering what the right coolant for the system is, red or blue.
Cool! Does that mean that you have the 13.2 kW version? How do you wire this at 3 fases?
IIRC only two phases are used at this moment, each 6.6kW unit has it own phase.

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 28, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »

You can probably use the third phase for the onboard charger.
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2017, 12:43:12 AM »

Anymore reviews of the DigiNow? 

I'm wondering if all the bugs are worked out and what is the availability of 6.6 kW.

v1 upgrades seem to be proceeding rapidly, and there's a rumor that engineers at Zero and Faresis now own units.

My two-unit config is giving 5800 watts, a pretty safe value for a single j-plug these days, and with two-jplugs I get close to 10KW, 1C for a nominial 10KWH bike (ZF11.4 battery)

Pretty sure - based on videos and social media postings - the two and three module configurations are good to go, electrically speaking. There's probably some lead time for manufacturing that's holding things up while the thermal management prototypes are fabricated and developed... I don't think I've heard anything to indicate that the three module configuration has gotten further than electrical systems testing, so if you wanted 1C right now it's not all going to mount cleanly under the cowl yet.

Not intending to utterly complicate things, I did confuse the dealership and Brandon briefly with a request to hold out for the three module under-cowl setup. Since my 2016 Fathers Day SCV1 order was converted to a SCV2 two module in deliverable value, and to get things moving I was shipped an one module system, I'm going to buy the third module under-cowl system and take delivery of the next two modules at once. The thermal management I must presume is very different for the two and three module configurations, so it is my hope to wait it out and get 1C charging capability.

There's not much to review on the one module system, you plug it in and it works without any effort. I've got the bracket installed and have some miles on that setup now.

Today I made some updates to the Unofficial Manual wiki that includes some more photos of my initial setup with a Chargetank inlet bracket and chargetank plastics.

Thanks for posting the unboxing videos!

Yes, two bricks fit neatly, third brick is awkward to try to get under cowl.  The stack would be too tall, and it's not bolted together with the first two, which have two very effective fans that pull air through shard heat sinks, exit at the end.  The third is more independent,  stacks awkwardly, and has its own larger fan.  If you tried to fit it under the cowl, you'd definitely need an opening on top, but it's too tall, really.  Maybe if you made a spacer, lifted the whole thing up...?

I made a quick four-hole piece on the way home at techshop to keep the third brick neatly in place on top of the first two, without sliding, just big enough capture the bolt-heads and otherwise allow airflow.  My own intent it to fab myself a new cowl tall enough to lay my chest on, and a narrower than stock so I can bring legs in closer, narrow the big fairing, reduce my aero cross section.

So, yeah, I don't mind the stack being too tall to fit under the cowl.  I'll take some pictures later, and also share plans for whatever I fab.  It'll probably be lasercut plywood since I can iterate fast on that, get toward a good shape, and then either cover that in carbon fiber and epoxy or recut in something more durable.  Clear acrylic might be interesting, but something lighter might be good.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »

You can probably use the third phase for the onboard charger.
I've discussed that with EC but in the end we choose not to do it since even without you're getting close to 1C charging in most situations.

Also, like I kinda expected if you're planning to fly with these make sure to receive some extra attention from the TSA ::)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »

In the last week I have put on over 600 miles using mostly the DigiNow 6.6 kW charger and it works great. 

I never had a J1772 socket to charge before, so not I have more options to charge and faster.

I purposely went to as many different kinds of charge stations as I could find (Charge Point, Clipper Creek, Siemens, Schneider, SemaConnect, AV, Volta).  As long as the there was no previous issue with the charge station when I rolled up, the charge worked.  I did try and charge at a Volta station that had a fault, I called the help number, but since it was after business hours, no one called back, so I just moved to another station near by.  Apparently, Volta stations have, get faulted by cars and get stuck that way for a while.

Here is the hardware and you can see the two 3.3 kW units bolted together with the two boxy fans.

Here is the space that it goes in.

Here is it installed.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »

Man I wish my bike was as "clean" as Killroy's lol I worked last weekend to try to straighten up the "flipped" birds nest a bit in preparation for the chargers being in the place where I use to have all my wires. (Yeah all my wires are on TOP of the battery ... which is still a 2013 battery btw so my install should be "unique" as it has to run through my controller)

My SC2 should be coming in sometime in the near future as well ... same unit as yours with a later expansion to a third unit >:)

But before that ... I am going to install a CA HC unit on the bike, there is likely to be documentation to come with this and a new post when I have time to write one up. :D

Just thinking about the CA-HC and I just realized this is yet more crap I am putting on my bike I am going to have to find a location for :/ ... I might have to make another "mod" to the bike before this to better manage accessories.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »

I was asked on Facebook if the DigiNow can be used with a European  Mennekes Typ 2 socket.  Anyone know of any issues?

Why did they go with 2 standards for a EV plug???

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 01, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »

Mine has one.
No idea(and yes the Mennekes is superior to the J1772 ;D)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 01, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »

2. The bottom picture was in Campbell right of of HWY 880 @ Hamilton.  There is a Kokls there and there is no fee for that charger and it is really close to my house. 

Do they still turn that one off when the store's not open?

You got the liquid cooled because of hot climate?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21