• March 29, 2024, 07:49:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29272 times)

anton

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2017, 02:05:50 AM »

Anymore reviews of the DigiNow? 

I'm wondering if all the bugs are worked out and what is the availability of 6.6 kW.
There was a harmless bug with the oldest revision of the control board (I'm pretty sure no one has those anymore) that Brandon fixed in newer revision. Did not affect charging or running in any way, just some log lines being printed out. Plus new board boots up very quickly now.

I've been running 6.6 kW PowerTank cover setup for a while now for semi-long trips (~600 mi) and it has been pretty much flawless as far as I can tell. Unless someone posts installation photos sooner than next week, I could probably take it apart and document.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2017, 03:37:16 AM »

I've been running 6.6 kW PowerTank cover setup for a while now for semi-long trips (~600 mi) and it has been pretty much flawless as far as I can tell. Unless someone posts installation photos sooner than next week, I could probably take it apart and document.
I have not seen any photos showing the upgrade of a single 3.3kW module to a two module under-cowl. Would like to see how that is, and how it sits in the tank area.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »

Rode 200mi this morning, am about 120mi along the return trip and charging. For a 400mi day trip that works out to three full charges between legs of the trip, 2.5 hrs each charging session. 7hrs+ just charging... too slow for my liking. When will three module SCv2 be ready :P

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »

I rode from the Bay Area to Los Angeles today using 4 SCv2's right at the 1C charge limit (I have a powertank, otherwise you can only use 3 Superchargers) and went about 400 miles in under 10 hours carrying a dog and a dog crate full of empty SCv2 boxes down to Brandon's house so he can use them for shipping.  I'm bringing up 8 more SCv2's to the Bay Area tomorrow for installs Brandon is doing Tuesday for BrianTRice, ToGo, and a Zero owner from Farasis.

So this will be about 800 miles in about 20 hours of riding.  Someone with a 2016 or 2017 13.0 and a 3.3 powertank could perhaps attempt an Iron Butt (1000 miles in 24 hours) with the DigiNow SCv2's.  I have a 2015 with a 12.5 monolith and my aero is pretty bad carrying a dog and a dog crate full of chargers.  Surely someone out there could do a lot better than I did today.

Brandon did a few more installs today in the Scotts Valley area for Luke and Killroy.  He couldn't carry enough tools and chargers in his Nissan Leaf so he sends me down on the Zero to pick up 8 more chargers, lol.

But by far this was my fastest trip on my non Vetter Zero.  These SCv2's are small, light, and powerful and don't overheat like the SCv1 did.  Very efficient meaning more power from the station goes to charging the battery instead of making waste heat!

Its been 5 years of waiting but there is finally a charging solution to make Zero's road trip worthy that is weather proof and isn't heavy and bulky.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:42:25 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »

So this will be about 800 miles in about 20 hours of riding.  Someone with a 2016 or 2017 13.0 and a 3.3 powertank could perhaps attempt an Iron Butt (1000 miles in 24 hours) with the DigiNow SCv2's.  I have a 2015 with a 12.5 monolith and my aero is pretty bad carrying a dog and a dog crate full of chargers.  Surely someone out there could do a lot better than I did today.

It is on my to do list :D By my estimates the key to an ironbut is 1C charging and 1 - 1.5 hours of riding at 70mph. (minimal speed) What I haven't figured out yet is how I will deal with 1 hours of rest throughout the day and how it will affect the attempt.

I have done 600-800 on day trips with my gas bike when I had one and those lasted "all day" ... leaving at 7am coming home at 11pm and were a mix of highway and mountain roads. Your butt gets pretty sore by the end of one of those trips ... and your legs can get weak; so much so it is easy to drop the bike when "parking" it toward the end of the day >__<  (did this on several trips when I finally got home)

When I get my 1C equivalent chargers installed I will start taking "day trips" again to test the waters and see what it does. First day trips will likely be 300-500 miles (might sound like a lot but it isn't) just to see how it goes then build up from there.

Then I will build out a plan to see how I might best do an iron butt and avoid traffic issues. Since I am on the east coast and it is hard to find good clear highways which have high speeds, and we cannot lane split here :/ This might mean I will have to make more than one attempt but we shale see.

Oh ... and I still have the 2013 battery pack on my bike (working on getting it replaced) so it will be "interesting" to see how much 1Kw makes when the swap happens.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2017, 02:36:36 AM »

I rode from the Bay Area to Los Angeles today using 4 SCv2's right at the 1C charge limit (I have a powertank, otherwise you can only use 3 Superchargers) and went about 400 miles in under 10 hours carrying a dog and a dog crate full of empty SCv2 boxes down to Brandon's house so he can use them for shipping.  I'm bringing up 8 more SCv2's to the Bay Area tomorrow for installs Brandon is doing Tuesday for BrianTRice, ToGo, and a Zero owner from Farasis.

That's really impressive! Exceeding 40mph average overall trip speed is a great benchmark and probably a record for an unfaired Zero on the Bay-LA run. My best was still between 11 and 12 hours (between my early stumbling runs and later when I took it slow through Big Sur, I didn't get much of a record attempt in, mostly playing it safe). And thanks for making a speed run in the name of delivering more of these. :)

I know that with aero improvements and a power tank, we might get that run down to 9 hours. I'm trying to focus to get something together soon and might be really busy with that for a while. I really want to reach that point and enjoy this riding season as much as I can on a Zero.

Brandon did a few more installs today in the Scotts Valley area for Luke and Killroy.  He couldn't carry enough tools and chargers in his Nissan Leaf so he sends me down on the Zero to pick up 8 more chargers, lol.

But by far this was my fastest trip on my non Vetter Zero.  These SCv2's are small, light, and powerful and don't overheat like the SCv1 did.  Very efficient meaning more power from the station goes to charging the battery instead of making waste heat!

Its been 5 years of waiting but there is finally a charging solution to make Zero's road trip worthy that is weather proof and isn't heavy and bulky.

Thanks for helping us get there!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:11:38 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »

So does this mean Brandon has to do the 6.6kW SCv2 installs? Or is he just installing it to make sure it's done right?

I'm just curious since I have my 3.3kW installed right now and am eager for the other half.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2017, 08:05:13 AM »

So does this mean Brandon has to do the 6.6kW SCv2 installs? Or is he just installing it to make sure it's done right?

I'm just curious since I have my 3.3kW installed right now and am eager for the other half.

I'm just up here getting feedback and test data for 1C tests. Doing the SCv1 upgrades while I am here.

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »

I'm just up here getting feedback and test data for 1C tests. Doing the SCv1 upgrades while I am here.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know!

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »

Here is the 6.6 kW Diginow under the locking tank with plenty of room for another 3.3 kW module, or some Californian Epic Burritos warmed by the chargers.

Today, I was at another station and there was a normal NEMA 5-15 outlet right next to the EV charge station so I could also plug in the on board charger for a total of 7.9 kW.  YEAH!

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »

Nice Killroy!  Glad you are charging fast too now!  I like it with the tank cover and storage area! 

Also where is that dual head ChargePoint station in your picture? I don't recognize it.

Here are some pics from yesterday.  The real shame and tragedy in the whole thing was carrying around 40 kW of chargers and only being able to use 13.2 kW of them.  ;) ;)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2017, 09:07:24 PM »

Good old CalPoly. My parents went there. Great pics!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »

Also where is that dual head ChargePoint station in your picture? I don't recognize it.

1. The top picture is Saratoga City Hall (CA).
2. The bottom picture was in Campbell right of of HWY 880 @ Hamilton.  There is a Kokls there and there is no fee for that charger and it is really close to my house. 
3. The location of the charge stations that I was referring to with the additional NEMA outlets was in San Jose on 1st street.  https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/94717

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »

@ElectricTerry nice modules placement on the drop bars. Do you also use the on-board charger or is that too much power into the battery system?

Having a PowerTank installed is definitely more compelling when combined with 1C charging for the system, and some place to mount those chargers.

How does the mass of 4x SCv2 modules on the drop bars feel in terms of bike handling?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »

I finally have mine at home, they should be getting installed somewhere in May. The 13.2kW fluid cooled version sure comes with a lot of wires :o With the next winter ahead, I'm wondering what the right coolant for the system is, red or blue.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21