• April 24, 2024, 06:44:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29431 times)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2017, 04:50:07 AM »

What's your opinion on using it externally? I find it's rather too heavy for top case and takes quite some space.
Don't. Install it in the tank area if you don't have a Power Tank, otherwise mount it in a reinforced top case or something like a Pelican case.
Any recommendation on what "reinforced case" is? I was hoping that 6.6 unit will fit into tank area but now that I've seen the size 3.3 unit, I'm not 100% sure (although there might be a way depending on how cooling system is implemented for 6.6 I suppose).
Don't worry about the 6.6 not fitting there. I spoke to Brandon about this when I was installing mine. Essentially they're going to be stacked and share a fan, or something along those lines. He said that it'll fit, so there's no need to worry.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:40 AM »

Don't worry about the 6.6 not fitting there. I spoke to Brandon about this when I was installing mine. Essentially they're going to be stacked and share a fan, or something along those lines. He said that it'll fit, so there's no need to worry.
I was under the same impression but wasn't exactly sure if that's the case ;)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:38 AM »

It should definitely fit. I've seen a 6.6 setup in person and also modeled it in CAD to be sure.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »

Short note on modular connector. I'm sure this was/is obvious to many people here on forums but if you're like me and never had Elcons or any other chargers (thus no experience with external power), I didn't really understand how modular cord is supposed to work by just looking at few pictures available.

Modular J plug (left) and 14-50 plug (right):

Connectors are seemingly exactly the same on both ends:

However if you turn one of them 180 degrees, they plug into each other like so:

This is brilliant idea and all the wiring components are super solid.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »

Anderson connectors are really designed well, considering how simple they are!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »

What's your opinion on using it externally? I find it's rather too heavy for top case and takes quite some space.
Don't. Install it in the tank area if you don't have a Power Tank, otherwise mount it in a reinforced top case or something like a Pelican case.
Any recommendation on what "reinforced case" is? I was hoping that 6.6 unit will fit into tank area but now that I've seen the size 3.3 unit, I'm not 100% sure (although there might be a way depending on how cooling system is implemented for 6.6 I suppose).
Not your standard givi monolock, that way there is too much force on that.
A good top case should be fine but it should be mounted (semi)permanently, with perhaps some extra struts on the Zero tail.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2017, 01:59:43 AM »

@anton make sure your aux plug is connected in all the way. The charger won't start if it is not. *Safety first* If the fan is not on, it is not charging. I'll give you a call later today to make sure you got it hooked up.

@everybody start paying attention to your voltage more than your SOC. Sometimes the SOC is way off. Your bikes charge upto 116v and most can go to 118v *if you know how to do it* for extra range or power but we do not reccomend anyone do it.

Any way, point is always look at voltage, it is the source of truth. If you see 116v or 115v and 50% SOC you have to press the reset button on your battery to get appropriate SOC again.

When on a road trip I do this like every other charge for the day. And voltage doesn't lie, but the percent does.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »

Not your standard givi monolock, that way there is too much force on that.
A good top case should be fine but it should be mounted (semi)permanently, with perhaps some extra struts on the Zero tail.

The strut support is more important than the case itself - as long as the mass is centered above the top plate (forward bottom of the case), I wouldn't worry about the case as much as the rack.

I've used padding to modestly even out the load and eliminate oscillations of the rack under load when going at highway speeds over bumps, but my Elcon 2500 (at 16lbs with cables) ultimately wound up strapped to the passenger seat in a duffle bag or (recently) a pelican case because it was starting to strain my top rack and the OEM side rack over time.

Terry's top rack has load-bearing tubes running from the plate all the way to the passenger peg mounts. I'd like to get a design for that set up to reproduce regularly.

Note: a 6.6kW SuperCharger unit weighs as much as the Elcon 2500, which illustrates a power/weight ratio improvement of 2.64.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2017, 07:42:23 AM »

Short note on modular connector. I'm sure this was/is obvious to many people here on forums but if you're like me and never had Elcons or any other chargers (thus no experience with external power), I didn't really understand how modular cord is supposed to work by just looking at few pictures available.

Modular J plug (left) and 14-50 plug (right):

Can someone explain this white J1772 plug. Shouldn't the charger have a female connector?

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:25 AM »

Can someone explain this white J1772 plug. Shouldn't the charger have a female connector?

Charger has female connector, so if you want to charge from Level 2 station you just plug connector from station into charger's inlet.

Now if you want to charge from 14-50 RV outlet, you connect these two together. One side goes into 14-50 outlet and the other one plugs into J inlet on your bike.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »

Technically the charger side is male and the J1772 is female but because of the design of the plug you also have some 'male plastic pins' on the J-plug that mate to some 'female plastic pins' on the charger side.  Hopefully this pic helps clear things up.

2014 Zero S

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »

Clean install @mrwilsn  :o

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

Here is a photo of one of the R&D validation units for the 7.9 this does between 6 and 7 kw depending on SOC voltage plus the onboard gets you around 8kW which is why it is the 7.9 kW unit

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:28 PM »

Charger has female connector, so if you want to charge from Level 2 station you just plug connector from station into charger's inlet.

Now if you want to charge from 14-50 RV outlet, you connect these two together. One side goes into 14-50 outlet and the other one plugs into J inlet on your bike.
Thanks Anton!

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2017, 02:08:10 AM »

6.6 comes from the charger and 1.3 from your onboard. If you run the onboard from the same jplug as the units and the station can not handle that much power it may trip the breaker or current fault.

So the recomendation is to use a second JPlug for your onboard charger so you can get a full 7.9 kW charging. In the US most stations will trip if you pull more than 6.6 so we recommend using 1 Jplug for the SC and a 2nd JPlug for the onboard.

so the charger is "dumb" and wont roll back current so its draw matches the J1772 request? it just keeps pulling the same?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21