• March 29, 2024, 06:40:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 13904 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:23 PM »

I think it's really beautiful. Do please tell us what effect it has on range when you've had the chance to ride it. That's quite a project.
I'm expecting it to have a slight positive effect on the range. The frontal surface has increased a bit but the whole also got a lot slipperier.

This looks great! I wish my dustbin looked even remotely as good or well-fitted as that.
Well it did take almost 4 months to adapt, fit and paint everything. Can't wait to ride again!

Very nice work ! I would certainly have chosen the fairing option in case Zero proposed it  ::)

I expect you will enjoy it from all points of view: wind protection, noise, range,...

By the way, how did you solve the problem with the brake handle being too close to the fairing?

Shaved a 2cm gap in the right side where the brake handle falls into it. If you don't know it it's barely noticeable.

Looks fantastic! This is close to looking OEM.

Please share your experiences with the fairing (for example comfort, wind/noise, energy consumption, ergonomics, behaviour in different weather/street conditions etc). What was your total cost (including external work hours) for the prowjct?

If there was a way to buy a fairing like this for a reasonable price I'd be highly interested.
I'm picking it up on Wednesday. I expect a little buffering in the helmet in the upright position but nothing that a spoiler or a vent in the low part of the screen can't fix.

The price breakdown is about this:
- Fairing: €100(got a nice deal)
- Front fender and headlight: €55
- Fitting and painting: €850

Now this was a bit of a project but my panel beater says he could fit an R6/R1 faring much easier. So if you don't mind a bit smaller that should be more easy, especially because there is a big aftermarket in (race)fairings for those bikes.

I agree.  A really impressive project that looks factory-designed.  If only Zero would do the same.   :)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

It was time for the first proper ride home:

First impressions, wow what a difference! It's riding a complete different bike. When sitting completely upright you get a little helmet buffering but not that bad.

And the range?

This was taken after riding mostly motorway at 90-100km/h with the first 10km filtering through a traffic jam. Now the wind was in my favour but not bad increase for a 2015DS.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »

So you can easily get 200 highway kilometres out of it (assuming a reasonable speed). That's quite an improvement. Combine that with a DigiNow SC V2 and you are pretty much touring ready.

Congrats!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Fairing suggestions
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »

Nice result! Definitely would like to see how robust the improvement is in a headwind.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »

Outstanding work, Erasmo! Color me orange with envy.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2017, 02:48:46 AM »

Clearance to get it through the back door of my house is 5cm, totally planned that of course ::)

So you can easily get 200 highway kilometres out of it (assuming a reasonable speed). That's quite an improvement. Combine that with a DigiNow SC V2 and you are pretty much touring ready.

Congrats!
Should be totally do-able. I'm picking up the SC this weekend ;D

Nice result! Definitely would like to see how robust the improvement is in a headwind.
I'm surely gonna ride a lot to collect data and such.

Outstanding work, Erasmo! Color me orange with envy.
Thank you, the color is a little bit off because the '15 plastics aren't painted but full colour and the colour scan thingamagingy had trouble getting the right color. But I'm happy with it.

This type fairing really changes the motorcycle, I can highly recommend it.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2017, 12:37:19 AM »

As requested by Brian some pics of the mountings: http://imgur.com/a/sUiWx
I hope this works because it is hard to take pictures inside of the fairing. Only one extra hole in the crown plate was needed, for the rest it is all mounted on existing threads for the crash bars etc.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2017, 04:30:04 AM »

Nice, thank you! I can see what you mean about not having friendly weather for photographs.

The shoulder bracket and the low fender brackets look pretty simple and could probably be made into a CAD drawing with a little work. Anything you can show (or better, measure) of those when convenient would be helpful.

The bracket around the front forks looks really complex, but the general idea and mounting points seem straightforward. I'll ask a relevant fabricator if something is in the works already that will fulfill this role.

What are the rear swingarm photos meant to convey?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

Those aren't of the rear swingarm but of the mountings for the new front fender.
A few pages back there should be some photos of the bike with only the brackets mounted.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

Wow, the photos were so close in that I confused the scale. Got it.

I'd really like something closer to a real scan or drawing. We need the ability to reproduce work like this.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »

I'd really like something closer to a real scan or drawing. We need the ability to reproduce work like this.

100% agree. I did a bit of research on the fairing but couldn't quite find the right model as there seem to be a lot oft options for the Honda NTV 650 that are all relatively similiar.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »

Personally I am most intrigued by the front fender mod...so you ended up modifying a BMW GS fender?
2016 DSR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

I hope this works because it is hard to take pictures inside of the fairing. Only one extra hole in the crown plate was needed, for the rest it is all mounted on existing threads for the crash bars etc.

Nice work.  I'd like to see a little more context as to the upper attachment points.  You are coming into the triple clamp, which bolt holes?  Some nice welding there, the geometry escapes me.  Do you have drawings?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »

I remember that David Hiley  (Dgh853) took some RSV4 and CBR1000 fairing on a Zero.. it was nice!!

http://evtricity.com.au/zerosr/

Doc

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:36:20 PM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2017, 02:07:37 AM »

That's a though one, I reused the existing mounting that came with the fairing and it needed almost no adaptions.

100% agree. I did a bit of research on the fairing but couldn't quite find the right model as there seem to be a lot oft options for the Honda NTV 650 that are all relatively similiar.
The brand is Schurgers, it's from the Netherlands.

Personally I am most intrigued by the front fender mod...so you ended up modifying a BMW GS fender?
Yup, that took some effort because the upside down forks, as you can see it is pretty close to the tires. I hope that the next set of more roadish tires will offer some extra space. The bracket for it mounted behind the fork protectors and the fender is on the bracket from above. My bike is in the shop getting the SC fitted but I'll try some pictures when it gets back.

Nice work.  I'd like to see a little more context as to the upper attachment points.  You are coming into the triple clamp, which bolt holes?  Some nice welding there, the geometry escapes me.  Do you have drawings?
Ah so that's the English word for it. Sorry no drawings because it is an mostly existing mount. I'll try to get some better pictures again when the bike is back.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10