• April 27, 2024, 07:17:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 14020 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Fairing suggestions
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:42:05 AM »

So I've decided that I want a nice tour fairing on my DS, contacted a local guy who is willing to mount and paint it but now is the question, which one? My previous bikes were a BMW Deauville and a BMW K75RT and I liked both of them.

I'm a tall guy(1,90M) and spend a lot of time on the motorway so a high windscreen is a must, I'm currently eyeing the local marketplace for a FJR fairing but if you lot have a suggestion I'd love to hear it!

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:10:23 AM »

Subscribing to this topic, since as a tall rider myself at 192cm, it would be nice to have a fairing and a screen farther away to the front and higher.

Are you also looking for the lower bodywork for the front/side of the battery, to offer some lower leg shielding too?
'15 Zero SR

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »

Have you thought about what you will do with the tank?  The main reason I haven't done something like @quixotic is because I haven't figured out what to do about the tank.  He used an airtech CR4501 that gives it kind of a cafe racer look.  He just put a board over the tank which works for him I guess but wouldn't work for me because of the DigiNow.

I'm sure you must have read his thread if you are asking about fairings.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5838.0
2014 Zero S

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:10:03 AM »

It's a bit of a gamble, but you might want to look through the Airtech website, and if something looks good, ask Walt for some measurements.  Then it's over to Gustafsson for a matching windshield.  I've done it twice now (once with an old Beemer), and have been quite satisfied.  I also adapted a Parabellum fairing for the Beemer.  They are much more solid than the Airtechs (though if you put enough brackets on the latter, they're fine...and they tend to look cooler than the Parabellums). 
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »

Subscribing to this topic, since as a tall rider myself at 192cm, it would be nice to have a fairing and a screen farther away to the front and higher.

Are you also looking for the lower bodywork for the front/side of the battery, to offer some lower leg shielding too?
If that's included in the donor fairing yes, but I will not install an otherwise perfect fairing because it lacks side fairings. Getting my head and upper body out of the wind is the goal, extra is bonus.

Have you thought about what you will do with the tank?  The main reason I haven't done something like @quixotic is because I haven't figured out what to do about the tank.  He used an airtech CR4501 that gives it kind of a cafe racer look.  He just put a board over the tank which works for him I guess but wouldn't work for me because of the DigiNow.

I'm sure you must have read his thread if you are asking about fairings.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5838.0
Jup read it, what to do with the fank depends on what I can find, it will probably end up in sawing of those strange spikes at the front.

It's a bit of a gamble, but you might want to look through the Airtech website, and if something looks good, ask Walt for some measurements.  Then it's over to Gustafsson for a matching windshield.  I've done it twice now (once with an old Beemer), and have been quite satisfied.  I also adapted a Parabellum fairing for the Beemer.  They are much more solid than the Airtechs (though if you put enough brackets on the latter, they're fine...and they tend to look cooler than the Parabellums). 
I'm on the lookout for a bit more tourier than what Airtech has to offer. Also I'm in Europe so shipping will be a nightmare.

Found this listing for a Honda NTV fairing not to too far away, this one might work for me :)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:27:51 PM by Erasmo »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »

Also, has somebody replaced the fender of a DS for something that is a bit closer to the wheel?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »

Did a rough mockup, doesn't look too bad:

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 12:24:18 AM »

Also, has somebody replaced the fender of a DS for something that is a bit closer to the wheel?

Nope. That would require considerable fabrication. The fender itself could be displaced downwards by up to 1 inch (using spacers for the 4 mounting bolts) without interfering with full suspension travel, IF you brace it so the end of the fender doesn't wave around into the wheel at the extreme of travel. (I have looked into this for a project in progress.)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »

But why not move it on the bottom part of the suspension S style?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:45 AM »

But why not move it on the bottom part of the suspension S style?

I would prefer it, I'm just saying no one's gone through the effort of making it. Mainly it needs a secure mounting bracket.

I guess with the right measurements I could get it machined from aluminum. But I've got too many projects going right now.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »

I'm looking at a Super Tenere front fender to replace the current fender, only I'm away from my bike until the weekend... Does someone know the distance between these bolts?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 11:04:58 PM »

Bought the red fairing!

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 12:38:57 AM »

Looking forward to see some photos once you got it installed!

Bought the red fairing!
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 12:52:20 AM »

It will take some time, it needs some fitting and it will also be repainted. And I still need to find a new fender.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »

It's getting closer. Does somebody know where to find the RAL codes for Zero's?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10