• March 29, 2024, 06:44:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tesla PowerWall 2.0 and 21700 cell format  (Read 1856 times)

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Tesla PowerWall 2.0 and 21700 cell format
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:08:17 AM »

So Tesla officially announced the new PowerWall yesterday, which has about twice the capacity while being about a third smaller and a third heavier. The rumors are that it uses the new packaging and cooling technology that enabled the P100 cars and the new cell format slated for the Model 3. I'm guessing the shrinkage in size is mostly better packaging. The 21700 format, from my math (and I make math mistakes all the time), is about a third larger in volume than the old 18650 format. That would explain being a third heavier. So possibly the new 21700 cells have about twice the capacity of the old, or possibly they can be stressed more - discharged and charged more fully without damage. This is all just guesses of course, so please free to shoot me down. Any implications for motorcycle tech, despite being cylindrical cells rather than pouch cells?

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla PowerWall 2.0 and 21700 cell format
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »

I just watched the powerwall 2.0 and solar roof launch.  Pretty cool stuff.  Apparently they converted houses that are on the Universal Studios set where shows like Desperate Housewives was filmed.  Anyone that needs a new roof should give this strong consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfwDyiPTdU

Any implications for motorcycle tech, despite being cylindrical cells rather than pouch cells?

The cells themselves...no. Possibly the chemistry being used could have implications for motorcycles.  Cylindrical cells just can't compete with pouch cells for a motorcycle application.  There is just too much wasted space.  Pouch vs. cylindrical is really just a difference in form factor.  Any battery chemistry that works for cylindrical could also work for pouch cells so given the choice you would always want to go with pouch.

However, I do think that having more lithium ion batteries available on the market in general is a good thing.  Not every application needs the most energy dense battery pack (e.g. the powerwall) and more batteries means lower prices through economies of scale.  These batteries will be around for a long time and that's a good thing.
2014 Zero S
Pages: [1]