• April 26, 2024, 03:08:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Electric wheelies  (Read 5338 times)

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
Electric wheelies
« on: October 16, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »

I know the FXS can wheelie, but has anyone been able to do it on their SR yet?  I have been too nervous to try because I didn't want to crash, but I've been thinking about it a lot for some stupid reason.  I don't even try to do it on the R1, but I can't stop thinking about it- and I'm sort of a risk taker even though I'm getting old. 

So here's how I imagine it, right before the crash, lol...

Turn off ABS, get up to around 20 or 25, hold throttle steady and put left foot on passenger peg.  With the right foot, I hold the brake and pin the throttle, then let off the brake and yank the handle bars, putting my weight on the left foot.  Then I crash, hahaha!
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
Re: Electric wheelies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:20:31 PM »

Wow, read 101 times and no response.  I guess that's a big honking NO. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:06:44 PM »

none of the zero's i have ridden (which is all but the FX) are not as easy to wheelie as you would think. if you're hesitant towards trying it on your R1 which can do it at will in almost any gear, you might have some trouble on the SR.

my $.02,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »

none of the zero's i have ridden (which is all but the FX) are not as easy to wheelie as you would think. if you're hesitant towards trying it on your R1 which can do it at will in almost any gear, you might have some trouble on the SR.

my $.02,

laramie  ;)

I can wheelie very easily on the R1.  However, I avoid it because the bike is perfect and I don't want to mess it up.  That doesn't mean that the front doesn't pop up, I just don't go around riding long wheelies trying to get attention.  It also has pretty expensive bodywork.

The Zero plastics are cheap, so if I laid it down, it wouldn't be as bad.  I will eventually get around to trying it, and plan to get it on my GoPro.  I'll share the link and you can laugh at/with me.

2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:27:51 AM »

I wondered the same thing, if I could pop the front of the DSR I have... The torque is definitely there, but somehow the soft throttle response and 'slow'-start of the controller prevents throttle wheelies... I only manage to get the front off the ground by hitting a speedbump at about 30km/h, and go WOT right before the bump. The controller will hit full torque at the apex of the bump and the wheel will lift. I found the throttle to be a little unpredictive because of the response lag so didn't manage to keep the wheel up for long (yet ;) ) Mind you, I don't encourage such behaviour!

And I wonder why my wife says she has two daughters but three kids to take care of ;)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:44 AM »

I've lifted the front wheel on my '15 SR many times going over intersections at something like 30mph in cases where the cross road forms a smooth hump. But I don't know how to wheelie, so I let go off the throttle early. Once I got a wheelie on an intersection like that and it surprised me as it was unexpected. In all these cases I am not changing my riding position towards the rear or pulling up on the handlebars. If anything, I'm bending forward to avoid too much lifting, so I think the front would go higher if I let it and especially if I encourage it, but I don't want to risk it since I don't know what I'm doing. I doubt the SR would wheelie on flat roads without major weight shifting and jerking the brakes and what not.
'15 Zero SR

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 06:03:08 AM »

I've lifted the front wheel on my '15 SR many times going over intersections at something like 30mph in cases where the cross road forms a smooth hump. But I don't know how to wheelie, so I let go off the throttle early. Once I got a wheelie on an intersection like that and it surprised me as it was unexpected. In all these cases I am not changing my riding position towards the rear or pulling up on the handlebars. If anything, I'm bending forward to avoid too much lifting, so I think the front would go higher if I let it and especially if I encourage it, but I don't want to risk it since I don't know what I'm doing. I doubt the SR would wheelie on flat roads without major weight shifting and jerking the brakes and what not.

You must be a lot skinnier than I am, or your bike is faster, hahaha.  I've had the rear tire spin unexpectedly many times, and a few on purpose, but never had the front lift.  I bet if you installed the larger pulley for acceleration, you'd be able to pop it up much easier.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »

The answer for me is.. no. It wont wheelie.
The front wont lift under WOT acceleration (although it is light)
They only way to get it up is to chop the throttle, bounce, and use the suspension to lift it. You have to be hyper-aggressive.
Now... if it actually put out the literbike torque that the advertising materials claimed, it would be easy.... but in reality, at the rear wheel, the bike has about half the torque of a literbike. It can be regeared to be identical, but then you would max out at 40-something MPH

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »

I'm 200lb before gear, so not that light. On flat road it won't lift at all from just the trhottle, but as I said, if there is a large hump on the road, it will lift. I have not tried to jerk the bars and play with brakes and weight shifting (as MR Dude 1 suggests, "super aggressive"). But with a nice large smooth hump on the road it will lift. The type of hump on the road I'm talking about is for example a particular intersection near where I live, where if you cross it at 40-50 mph, you will catch a little air with both wheels (or 4 wheels if you are in a car) :) 

The rear tire has spun for me a few times too, but each time on less than ideal surfaces. Going straight on good dry asphalt in reasonably warm weather it has more traction than power and won't spin for me, just like it won't lift the front.

You must be a lot skinnier than I am, or your bike is faster, hahaha.  I've had the rear tire spin unexpectedly many times, and a few on purpose, but never had the front lift.  I bet if you installed the larger pulley for acceleration, you'd be able to pop it up much easier.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:21:42 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »

just got to be in "that" spot in the throttle. a little jab of the front brake always helps as well as being back in the seat. it really is a timing thing. i was messing around on the back roads coming home from work today with this thread in mind. i'm getting better and still was only able to pull off about 35% of the attempts. i'm decent but have never been one of "those guys" that can ride one all day long. most today were on the flats, i really don't like using big bumps, tendency to climb to fast as you fall back down the other side.

on another note;

anyone who likes to "race" their bike will really like the app "track addict." i have no affiliation but tried it saturday morning just goofing off and was impressed. took it again on sunday morning and figured out how to actually use it and was very happy. was able to shave 3 secs from the beginning to end of the session per lap. also gave me G-loads, speed, braking, and more other things than i can mention. very cool app, also free.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

What_clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »

I'm pretty good at wheelies and I've attempted it on my SR with no luck even with my left foot on the passenger peg being used as leverage it'll only lift the front wheel up about 6 inches or so. Have no issues on my other bikes as seen here

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »

I mentioned this on another thread that someone was complaining about the rear tire breaking loose when accelerating from an intersection.  It shouldn't do this unless you hit sand, paint, water, have too high tire pressure etc, but one way that has been found to fix that is the Corbin seat by sliding a rider ~200 pounds gear a few inches back to put more weight on the rear tire and less on the front.

I have noticed being able to accelerate harder in turns without the back end stepping out as well. 

I don't wheelie on my bike because I carry a dog, but for those who like to, and want to make it easier, I'd say 2 accessories to get would be the Corbin seat first which won't have any draw backs.  2nd would be to get the 25 or 28 tooth front sprocket.  Although because of the tighter turn radius, and less surface area to contact teeth, changing the sprocket will make it more likely you will break belts, so if you order the lower gear, also order at least one or two belts as a replacement.  Shifting the weight back with the Corbin seat is probably the easiest.  Ride to 15-25 mph, let off the throttle with regen set to 100% while bending over close to the handlebars, and then right away as the fork is bouncing back, give it full throttle push off the bars, slide back in the Corbin seat and pull up on the handlebars.  Anyone with a Corbin seat try this yet?  Not that I'm recommending you do this of course. ;)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 05:15:38 AM »

Despite peoples thoughts that power is somehow limited in the controller for a less violent launch and more power can be somehow programmed, this isn't true.  The power ramps up because of torque times RPM, and the torque doesn't drop off until about 4000 rpm so the bike will make more power the faster the motor turns up to that point.   Then if torque drops faster than RPM's increase, then power will drop off.  But there aren't any aftermarket programmable configurations to get more power at a lower rpm in the controller through electronic settings.

used this advice from the "other thread" mentioned above, and was successful almost 100% of the time lifting the front wheel.

just saying....

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

What_clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

Lifting the wheelie is different than actually wheeling..if I couldn't do it with the extra leverage on the passenger peg there's no way a sit down wheelie is possible on the SR. I gave it a few try's today at higher speeds and I could only get it up about a foot..I'm going to give it a shot on a steep hill, I think that might get it up there and if I do I'll post up a video to prove it'll wheelie.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »

A Zero WILL wheelie if you remove the 180 pounds battery and replace it by a 13 pounds the same power and put a SR controlelr into it and do the 0-60 in 2.7 sec =)...

at 85% max torque setting !

even at 60% it wheelie !!

then you need a custom made wheelie bar  8)

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: [1] 2 3