• April 23, 2024, 04:35:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The UK electric motorcycle grant (up to £1,500) Has finally arrived  (Read 1536 times)

WDavis4692

• View Profile

You'll find the information at this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/plug-in-motorcycle-grant-eligibility

This literally came out just today!  I guess you could call it breaking news for our UK viewers!  As far as I'm aware it's 1,500 GBP or otherwise 20% of the bike's value.  There may be some delay until we can still take advantage of this grant as individual manufacturers have to apply to have their vehicles listed as eligible, and meet a set criteria.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:11:19 AM by WDavis4692 »

Fred

• View Profile
Re: The UK electric motorcycle grant (up to £1,500) Has finally arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »

I had an interesting chat yesterday with Stevie from the Motorcycle Industry Association. They were a big part of petitioning the UK government to sort out the grant. The reason I was chatting is that apparently I was the first person to make use of it and they want to sort out a press release about it.

One interesting thing I found out (maybe you all knew) is that the grant isn't just intended to be a way to encourage people onto 2 wheeled EVs, but also to be an assurance of quality. There are some strict criteria that the manufacturers have to fulfil. One is that the battery has to be warrantied for 5 years. The details are on the OLEV site, but not really prominent to a purchaser. I just saw it as "a Zero is more affordable" but then again, the fact that I'm on here means that I've already got all the info I could have on quality and reliability.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/plug-in-motorcycle-grant-eligibility/plug-in-motorcycle-grant-eligibility

Stupid government and DVLA delays means I still haven't actually got the bike yet. It's been sitting in a crate at the dealer for about 4 weeks and is likely to be there 4 weeks more.   >:(
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »

Reading that, it looks like Trikes are covered as well (see 2.7)  ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

I've heard that only the Zero range and a BMW scooter are currently eligible. Is anyone likely to ever make a trike? Maybe shoehorn a Tesla motor and battery pack into a Reliant Robin. :-)
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »

I've heard that only the Zero range and a BMW scooter are currently eligible. Is anyone likely to ever make a trike? Maybe shoehorn a Tesla motor and battery pack into a Reliant Robin. :-)

I don't think we'll see a first party electric trike anytime soon, oem ICE trikes are pretty rare after all.
It just amused me that it is in there.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Fred

• View Profile

Well, the grant is definitely here now. I picked up my FXS (apparently the first one to make use of the grant) on Saturday. I decided that it was so close to the 17 registration that I'd register it from today. It was tough waiting those last 4 days and not riding it on the road!

The Motorcycle Industry Association wanted to get a few photos and do a press release about it.
http://mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/Press-Releases/Article/First-UK-customer-to-benefit-from-plug-in-grant-for-e-motorcycles-takes-to-the-road-today.aspx

Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile

@Fred nice participation for the press release! Thanks for confirming.
Pages: [1]