• March 28, 2024, 06:03:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plugless Power (Wireless Charging)  (Read 1291 times)

ZeroMark

• 2014 Zero DS 11.4 Cruising in the Vegas Heat!
    • View Profile
Plugless Power (Wireless Charging)
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has looked at anything like plugless recharging like they have for the LEAF, VOLT, Cadillac ELR and Tesla?  The units (www.pluglesspower.com ) sit on the floor and you drive over it and once it lines up with the induction unit on the car (or bike!) then charging can begin.  The units they show on their web site do 3.3Kw Level 2 wireless changing.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has looked into induction charging, and if anyone has anything working like this?

Ashley Harris at mailto:aharris@evatran.com is tracking interest in EV's and so if anyone wants something lke this, you could always drop her a note about your Zero.

In any case, the idea seems forward thinking even if the efficiency doesn't.  What do you guys think about it?

Mark Hripko (ZeroMark)
Zero is my Hero...

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Re: Plugless Power (Wireless Charging)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »

I suspect it wouldn't work well due to small surface area.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Plugless Power (Wireless Charging)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:05:52 AM »

I'm not a fan of inductive charging for EVs because of the inefficiency and need to park in the same spot. For a car, I wouldn't be surprised if you lose enough energy to run a 2nd refrigerator. I'm also into rituals, so plugging in isn't a issue for me. There are people, thought, that I've observed who don't want to plug in even if they pass the cable and the charging port on their way into the house.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR
Pages: [1]