• April 27, 2024, 03:52:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?  (Read 2748 times)

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »

Hi, have been lurking on this forum since Feb. 2015. Initially was deciding between a 2014 or 2015 S or SR. Finally decided to go with the SR and wait until the 2016's. October 2015 rolled around and decided to buy a summer home (couldn't pass up the deal) so had to put my Zero dreams on hold. Now I am waiting for the 2017's to come out, and wanted to see if anyone has lowered their bike and if so how much? Hoping to get as close to flat footed as I can, being only 5'3 most bikes that I like are just a bit too high. There is no question about it, I am getting the 2017 SR regardless, but like the feeling when I can flat foot my bike. Good news on waiting, a new Zero dealership opened up very close to me. (Now I have 2 under 25 miles from me!) Looking to get mine in April, gives me a little more time to get my funds in order.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

WoadRaider

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »

I'm sure someone has, I'm assuming you've searched the forum thoroughly? I would call Zero's customer service and see what they can do, as well as talk to the dealer.
perspective, use it

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:23:10 AM »

I'm sure someone has, I'm assuming you've searched the forum thoroughly? I would call Zero's customer service and see what they can do, as well as talk to the dealer.

Yes, I started a thread in 2015 and was hoping that someone since then would've had it done and willing to share their experience. The dealers around me really aren't that informed with the lowering aspect.  I have communicated with Zero in 2015 about this, and they mentioned a few things. Just hoping someone who actually had it done could let me know what they chose to do, and how low it got.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:42:22 AM »

I don't have a problem flat footing, but I did make a fender eliminator.  Due to the stubby rear and soft suspension on my SR, the back tire touched the license plate while I was riding and bent/scuffed it up.  I had to bend the plate to avoid the tire.  Just something to keep in mind if you're going to reduce the amount of suspension travel and have plans for a fender eliminator.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:48:10 AM »

I re-read your '15 thread and figured adding my .02 couldn't hurt, so here goes... hopefully it will make up for my unhelpful post in the other thread... :)

Assuming the '17 SR is similar suspension-wise to the '16, the most you can realistically expect to lower the rear end of that bike easily (i.e., by shortening the shock) and without affecting rear suspension action excessively is about 2" or so.  This will lower the seat height about 1.6" max, unless you lower the front end too.  I assume you've test-ridden a '15 or '16 SR?  If not - or you want to go again - you can bring a couple of short pieces of 2x4 (@ 1.5" thick) with you to put under your feet, to get an idea of how much lowering is needed.

When you get your new bike, ask the dealer to adjust the shock preload adjusters completely up, as far from the swingarm as possible (this is not the same thing as minimum preload) and also raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps about 1/2" or so (you can raise it more later if it handles OK).  These two simple adjustments - which were mentioned in the earlier thread - may lower your seat just enough if you're lucky, or if not, at least enough for now.  I'd also really check out the suspension on rough/uneven surfaces and see if it's set up right for you, which may need fixing too (might as well do it all at once, no?).  Zero tends to set their bikes up very stiff which didn't work for me, and also maximizes that tippy-toe feeling.

If you decide you need work done, there's a shop in Allentown I saw recommended on a Yamaha R6 forum that does racing suspension work and also provides trackside support on race days (i.e., delivery) - Metric Devil Moto (E-mail mike@metricdevilmoto.com, (610) 833-8271).  Tell them you've got a super-fast electric bike with a 40mm-piston Showa that needs lowering; you may get a call-back just from curiosity.  Being a race-oriented shop they obviously deal with much more involved suspension work (which IMO makes them an excellent choice), but even if they can't help you themselves for whatever reason, they may well know someone who can - provided they're still in business, of course.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »

I re-read your '15 thread and figured adding my .02 couldn't hurt, so here goes... hopefully it will make up for my unhelpful post in the other thread... :)

Assuming the '17 SR is similar suspension-wise to the '16, the most you can realistically expect to lower the rear end of that bike easily (i.e., by shortening the shock) and without affecting rear suspension action excessively is about 2" or so.  This will lower the seat height about 1.6" max, unless you lower the front end too.  I assume you've test-ridden a '15 or '16 SR?  If not - or you want to go again - you can bring a couple of short pieces of 2x4 (@ 1.5" thick) with you to put under your feet, to get an idea of how much lowering is needed.

When you get your new bike, ask the dealer to adjust the shock preload adjusters completely up, as far from the swingarm as possible (this is not the same thing as minimum preload) and also raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps about 1/2" or so (you can raise it more later if it handles OK).  These two simple adjustments - which were mentioned in the earlier thread - may lower your seat just enough if you're lucky, or if not, at least enough for now.  I'd also really check out the suspension on rough/uneven surfaces and see if it's set up right for you, which may need fixing too (might as well do it all at once, no?).  Zero tends to set their bikes up very stiff which didn't work for me, and also maximizes that tippy-toe feeling.

If you decide you need work done, there's a shop in Allentown I saw recommended on a Yamaha R6 forum that does racing suspension work and also provides trackside support on race days (i.e., delivery) - Metric Devil Moto (E-mail mike@metricdevilmoto.com, (610) 833-8271).  Tell them you've got a super-fast electric bike with a 40mm-piston Showa that needs lowering; you may get a call-back just from curiosity.  Being a race-oriented shop they obviously deal with much more involved suspension work (which IMO makes them an excellent choice), but even if they can't help you themselves for whatever reason, they may well know someone who can - provided they're still in business, of course.

Ray

I appreciate your response. I will definitely try and do the easiest things first to try and achieve a good height. Thanks for the information on the suspension shop in Allentown, that's very good to know.

I did demo a 2015 SR, and do not remember the exact amount I would need the bike lowered. I was just having too much fun, it wasn't a crazy amount. I would love the 1.6" lower seat height though. It is more for stop and go riding that we all occasionally get caught in. My confidence rises the more I can flat foot, but I also know that it is not necessary. 
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »

I'm 5'2" myself. I have to tip toe it but it's not too bad. I ordered a Corbin seat and asked them to lower the seat pan a little. I did talk to another guy who said it was possible by lowering the front forks so the front end is lower but the rear will only go down as low as you can adjust the shock. I haven't tried it yet I want to wait on the Corbin seat to see.

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »

Also your inseam is really the deciding factor. My inseam is only 28".

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 06:44:29 PM »

I'm 5'2" myself. I have to tip toe it but it's not too bad. I ordered a Corbin seat and asked them to lower the seat pan a little. I did talk to another guy who said it was possible by lowering the front forks so the front end is lower but the rear will only go down as low as you can adjust the shock. I haven't tried it yet I want to wait on the Corbin seat to see.

I'd be interested to hear how your seat works out. If you go any other routes please keep me updated.

Also your inseam is really the deciding factor. My inseam is only 28".

BTW my inseam is almost 30 inches.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:48:56 PM by Straightedg4lif »
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

SM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 12:05:22 AM »

What do you mean "adjust the shock preload adjusters completely up, as far from the swingarm as possible (this is not the same thing as minimum preload)"?

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 12:35:27 AM »

With the bike on a stand, the point of minimum (zero) preload is when the adjuster is just barely contacting the spring.  Often the adjuster(s) can be turned (CCW when viewed from above) past this point, and sometimes way past it.

This recommendation is intended only as a quick & cheap way to get some lowering for the OP's first ride home from the dealership, and/or until the OP's suspension can be set up properly.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »

Have you sat on one?
They're already ridiculously low.

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:34:34 PM »

Have you sat on one?

I have sat on one, and demoed it. It may be easy to say that they are ridiculously low if you are not short. Unfortunately I am, and that makes it a little higher than I like it to be. I think it has a lot to do with the width of the seat, my legs feel quite splayed out. I have 6 months to go until I get my Zero, so have plenty of time to figure it out.
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »

Have you sat on one?

I have sat on one, and demoed it. It may be easy to say that they are ridiculously low if you are not short. Unfortunately I am, and that makes it a little higher than I like it to be. I think it has a lot to do with the width of the seat, my legs feel quite splayed out. I have 6 months to go until I get my Zero, so have plenty of time to figure it out.

I'm with you. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and I think the S or SR is at the edge of being too high for low speed, heavily congested lane splitting. I use my toes while crawling and can get the inner side of my feet down when stopped. I felt more confident on the bike after I got my cases, which I load up for work, and after the rear shock broke in. I also bounce the rear after I stop to make sure stiction isn't keeping the bike up.

When I demoed my bike, I also asked to check out the DS and FXS. Just trying to get on them I knew they were too high. Comparing my SR to the bikes at work, the seat is among the high ones.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »

Just checking in to see if you received your Corbin seat and if so did it work for you? Does it make a nice difference?
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
Pages: [1]