• April 25, 2024, 04:11:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Electric Motorcycles, monthly at Alice's. Oct 15.  (Read 1046 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Electric Motorcycles, monthly at Alice's. Oct 15.
« on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »

The first time, it was all Zero owners, and we were joined by the actual designer of the electric motor that powers the Zero, as well as Charger the electric dog and Terry the electric motorcycle record setter.  Aaron from Zero was gratified that this was the first get-together sponsored by owners without company or dealer involvment.  And almost everyone had owned more than one.

The second time, we had one of the engineers from Faresis the battery manufacturer, and two Energicas showed up.  That's a full 2/3 of the USA inventory.

Who will be here this time?  Come and have a good brunch/lunch.  11:00 to beat the rush at Alice's, and ride up with Terry and Charger from Zero HQ, or with me from Palo Alto Baking Co. at 10 AM.

It's not clear if you can charge at Alice's but there is charging for Zero owners at Zero HQ, and there are lots of free ChargePoint stations within a block or two of PABC.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

SoundMusic

• View Profile
Re: Electric Motorcycles, monthly at Alice's. Oct 15.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:22:03 AM »

I will plan on being there this time around.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »

Would love to join a Zero group ride now that I've actually got one, but Alice's is a little far for me. If anyone ever finds themselves in Marin and wants to ride, give me a shout.
2016 DSR

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »

I will plan on being there this time around.

Very cool!  See you there!

This coming Saturday,

Meet at 11 at Alice's Restaurant, or ride up from Palo Alto Baking Co or Zero HQ at 10.

F'bookers join https://www.facebook.com/groups/1593227270969926/

(This is the Alice's Restaurant that's on the Peninsula / Santa Cruz Mountains ridge, between San Francisco Bay and the Pacific ocean.)

This will be fun.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:07:16 AM »

Would love to join a Zero group ride now that I've actually got one, but Alice's is a little far for me. If anyone ever finds themselves in Marin and wants to ride, give me a shout.

Dave's coming from Sacramento!

I'm going from San Francisco myself.

If charging is the issue, both Terry and and Farfle have functional fast-chargers, I think, and have helped charge people in the past.  You might contact them.  Sadly, Brian T Rice won't be coming this time and my fast-charger is needing some troubleshooting. 

Sorry, not meaning to badger.  I do visit Marin every couple of weeks, usually on a Tuesday, I go to Sonoma for business hours.  Would love to go on a ride.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »

I plan to be there too, likely after eating breakfast with some friends that morning.  Eating two meals at Alice's in just one day is going to be tough.   ::)

Don't plan on doing much charging at Alice's, especially from the 240V outlet on the side of the gas station. That is no longer permitted by the owners.  However, they will let you charge from their 120V outlet located chest-high, under a metal cover, just behind the side yard gate next to the realty office downhill of the gas station.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• View Profile
Good weather after all Re: Electric Motorcycles, monthly at Alice's. Oct 15.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »

Zero chance of rain until this afternoon, and then the chance is low.

Come on out!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:15:05 AM »

I showed up at 8:30 on my Zero, had breakfast with some friends, stuck around until 11:30 when two other Zero riders showed up.  Then it started to rain lightly and the wind started blowing strongly, so I chickened out and headed back home.  Photos attached of the latest aero fairing modification by the big guy.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Was good to see Richard and Swimlane. There was a little misting but got home well before the storm. Y'all are pussies.  : - )

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »

Was good to see Richard and Swimlane. There was a little misting but got home well before the storm. Y'all are pussies.  : - )

I agree.  It is true.  Being retired I just don't do much rain riding any more and riding up in the Santa Cruz Mountains on those roads on a weekend really makes me nervous.  (I had my only serious crash on Highway 84 twenty years ago while riding slowly around a hairpin turn, heading down the hill to Woodside. Both tires slipped sideways on the wet and oily corner, causing my BMW K1 to fall over and land on me - which really hurt.  So when it rains up there, I start getting bad memories.   :(  )  Plus, having just finished breakfast, I still wasn't very hungry.   :-[

Anyway it was nice to see both of you and hopefully the weather will be better next month. 

Also, I discovered that in spite of what one of the Restaurant owners told me, they placed a "No EV charging allowed" sign even on the L1 outlet located behind the rear yard gate that I had been using since 2012 to charge my Zero. That is really getting kind of nasty, as I doubt a few hours of charging from that outlet would cost more than $1 and certainly wouldn't place any strain on their electric system.   :(

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 02:58:18 AM »

Yeah wet weather is not "fun". Being from the Vancouver, Canada area, I do it all the time but you really have to watch it!

It's a shame about Alice's I really, really wanted to stop there, but the no EV charging is immediately a non starter.  Most places are more than accommodating such as the Ragged Point inn & restaurant, Big Sur and being able to charge for free really loosens my wallet even if there isn't a need for me to get anything. 

I encourage others to do the same and to voice this to the staff or management of an establishment. 

In the Canadian parries there is a small supermarket chain called Peevy Mart (I think).  They have noticed rapid growth in sales since installing their 80 & 100 amp sun country chargers.  Coincidence?  Nope!  Retailers who embrace the electric revolution will and should do well while others will likely see an untimely demise if we follow this kind of practice. 

Anyways wish I could have been there!  Would love to meet and ride with you all on my way back up from LA!  Those are amazing roads up there!  Similar to home😁

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

togo

• View Profile
Electric Motorcycles, monthly at Alice's. JAN 21
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »

JAN21
Electric Motorcycle lunch/brunch ride

Meet at Palo Alto Baking Company, ride to brunch/lunch! Alice's again, as per usual.

Charging is available at three lots between Molly Stone's and Pieology, eight Level 2 stations total.  Come early if you'll need to charge- there are lots of places to hang out on California Ave.

F-bookers can RSVP at the f-book event.
https://www.facebook.com/events/558939204296831/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:14 AM »

I'll be there with a fairing. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »

I'll be there with a fairing. :)
Really?? What fairing did you get? Pics please!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S
Pages: [1]