• March 29, 2024, 12:16:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2.5 years... past warranty, right ?  (Read 2744 times)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 years... past warranty, right ?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

That is good news. Good job Zero.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 02:58:16 AM »

Got a call from the dealer today, bike is fixed and ready for pickup. So 2 weeks since I took it there. Unfortunately it's still at the other location
where I can't pick it up, they said they will take it to the first dealership for me, so will have it next week.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 08:51:40 AM »

Any time you get jerked around by a dealership, always call the manufacturer.  You might be surprised by the response. 

I am on my 4th charger.  The first three were crap, one didn't even last through the first charge.  This current charger has nearly 7000 miles on it and works great.  I have had excellent customer service from both Zero and Hap's Honda, including when some old hag ran over the bike in a parking lot.

Over 9,000 miles now on the SR, even did some light off roading today.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »

I am on my 4th charger.  The first three were crap, one didn't even last through the first charge.  This current charger has nearly 7000 miles on it and works great.

Were you under warranty with those 3 chargers ?

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 05:14:59 AM »

I am on my 4th charger.  The first three were crap, one didn't even last through the first charge.  This current charger has nearly 7000 miles on it and works great.

Were you under warranty with those 3 chargers ?

Yes, everything was under warranty and the dealer was really good, gave me two different loaner bikes. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 03:53:07 AM »

Yes, everything was under warranty 

Yeah, that's all cool while the stuff is under warranty, but there is no guarantee they won't start burning out
again when the warranty is out.

and the dealer was really good, gave me two different loaner bikes.

Now that's the kind of service I can only dream of. Instead, I was without my bike for 3 weeks when there
was a motor recall, and another 2 weeks this time when the charger went out. I use that bike for my daily
commute, year round, so needless to say that was a major inconvenience. My biggest worry is that troubles
aren't over, and there will be more of this in the nearest future.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 04:59:10 AM »

Yes, everything was under warranty 

Yeah, that's all cool while the stuff is under warranty, but there is no guarantee they won't start burning out
again when the warranty is out.

and the dealer was really good, gave me two different loaner bikes.

Now that's the kind of service I can only dream of. Instead, I was without my bike for 3 weeks when there
was a motor recall, and another 2 weeks this time when the charger went out. I use that bike for my daily
commute, year round, so needless to say that was a major inconvenience. My biggest worry is that troubles
aren't over, and there will be more of this in the nearest future.

True, it could happen again, but it's now been a year and a half and 12,000 trouble free miles since my last problem.  I'm pretty confident in the current charger.

And yes, I can't praise Haps Honda in Sarasota enough.  Their customer service is above and beyond.  If I didn't love my SR so much, I'd go back and buy another bike from them.  It's a keeper though.  Anyone within 100 miles of them who hasn't stopped by and had their insurance inspected by the "momma" of the whole place is also crazy.  That lady saved me a ton of money and increased my coverage at the same time.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »

Here it goes again... replacement charger got fried after just 8 months or so :( Luckily it blew out at 94%, as I was 50 miles away from home with 34% remaining...

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »

You could just get a diginow supercharger and forget about installing any more calex chargers.  Both myself and LiveforPhysics acutally removed our stock Calex and have the Diginows custom mounted in the skidpan (requires modification) but you can put them in the tank, or a top case, or mount them on the side crash bar mounts.   Call Hollywood Electrics and ask them what they recommend.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 11:01:18 PM »

You could just get a diginow supercharger and forget about installing any more calex chargers.  Both myself and LiveforPhysics acutally removed our stock Calex and have the Diginows custom mounted in the skidpan (requires modification) but you can put them in the tank, or a top case, or mount them on the side crash bar mounts.   Call Hollywood Electrics and ask them what they recommend.

My worry is that there is something wrong with the bike which causes for the chargers to go out. Unless of course those calex chargers are indeed very low quality. Your suggestion sounds interesting otherwise, though I just lost my job and can't really spend money on trying that out :)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »

yes I had 2 Calex's die and decided it wasn't worth it to replace with another, because I could fit 13,200 watts of charging in the same spot as 1300 watts of Calex.

But yes the calex chargers get very hot and fail often.  They don't have any cooling fins or fans.  It's the most common item to fail on the new generation Zero's. 

Good news is you don't need it with a fast charger anyway.  As you can run the fast charger off 110 at home just the same.  It enables the bike and the bike performs cell balancing.  The Calex is better served as a paperweight and not worth carrying the weight of it around on the bike anyway.  Lol can you tell I'm not a fan?

100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »

Unless of course those calex chargers are indeed very low quality.

That seems to be the general consensus.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »

Which brings up the question. ???  Why does Zero still use them?  It appears that they have been using Calex chargers since at least when my bike was built in December 2013. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »

Which brings up the question. ???  Why does Zero still use them?  It appears that they have been using Calex chargers since at least when my bike was built in December 2013.

well, lets pretend we're them.
we just contracted a company to supply the UL/EU/etc approved chargers with custom canbus firmware at the  low volume we sell. yay!
1yr later.. eh.. they have highish return rates on them, but they say they can fix it.
1 year later... the return rates have really dropped, but they're not gone. lets look for other suppliers that fit all our needs.
crap.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »

Would be great if zero offered the diginow as an optional replacement instead of Calex for new bikes and as replacement part for faulty chargers. Would be win win for both companies.

Diginow should also look at selling a mount for replacing original charger location.
Pages: 1 [2] 3