• May 02, 2024, 03:53:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 Zero DSR controller relocation -- heat concerns and other thoughts?  (Read 618 times)

pinaero

• View Profile

Hello electrics-heads!

At this time, this is no more than a curiosity that I have been trying to ignore for the better part of a week now. I am toying with the idea of relocating my controller to where the tank bag used to be located on my DSR. I will attach pics of my measurements, but I don't even know if it would physically fit in the space. Before I go through the labor of unbolting the controller, disconnecting the wiring and fishing it up and forward I wanted to get feedback from people who are smarter and or more experienced than I with electrical components and the concerns that surround them.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and concerns. Please be gentle and understand this is, at this time, just a curiosity, and I am not "dead-set" on getting this done.

My concerns:
-Will the controller get hot enough to damage components that are currently "in the tank area"?
-Will the controller get hot enough to damage the brake lines (or brake fluid itself, for that matter) that run along the frame under the tank / above the battery?
-Will the cooling fins get hot enough to make me uncomfortable on long rides.

My thoughts:
-My motivation would be strictly cosmetic. Clean up the tail, and make the "empty space" where my tank used to be, look more "electric" by having the cooling fins exposed up top.
-To contradict my above statement, as of the last day or two, I kind of really like the fins where they are, they look cool (heh no pun intended) back there.
-If the controller can be moved, maybe that would allow a little more freedom for moving the seat lower, or even lowering the bike and not worrying about impacting the controller under full compression (a bit of a stretch, I know). [Disclaimer: this thought was more for the community at large, and not directed to my own bike]

Thanks in advance for any input you guys would like to share.
I did try to search on this topic, but was not able to find anything relevant, I apologize if I missed something.

Cheers,
pinaero

(p.s. I hope you can see the measurements, I just learned of the size limit for attachments)

pinaero

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero DSR controller relocation -- heat concerns and other thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:31:10 PM »

Hey guys,

Wanted to attach a pic to show my tank area and how it looks now.

Cheers,
pinaero

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2016 Zero DSR controller relocation -- heat concerns and other thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »

How are you going to safely reroute the cables that transmit hundreds of amps at 116V forward past the frame bracket separating the seat from the battery?

(This sounds like it could wear the cables and would very likely void your warranty.)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]