• April 25, 2024, 05:53:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vibrations  (Read 1731 times)

Low On Cash

• View Profile
Re: Vibrations
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »

Hello - Just curious if they said what was actually wrong with the tire, not quite sure how a bad tire would make a high frequency vibration on the bars. Usually its more of a shake. Let us know! - Thanks!

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »

Hello - Just curious if they said what was actually wrong with the tire, not quite sure how a bad tire would make a high frequency vibration on the bars. Usually its more of a shake. Let us know! - Thanks!
I never said high frequency- about the vibrations i experienced. I can't really tell where you would put the limit between "vibrations" and "shake" which may well describe the same thing to me (im not a native english speaker).

What i can say is that it caused the bike to vibrate enough that lifting both hands off the steering wheel would feel dangerous-in particular around 50-60 km/h. At 110km/h it would discourage me from going much faster at all. I am new to motorcycles, but the new front tire doesn't do these things- although it does perhaps has more "high frequency" vibrations due to a different pattern (better for rain) it does feel glued to the ground at all speeds.

The guys changing the tire said that some brands does simply not go well together. I weren't given any detailed explanation. My conclusion would be that the bike tolerances perhaps match some tire tolerances better than other- which reflects what the guys at the shop sees- all those complaining about the Pirellis (i had) left happy with the Metzelers. It seemed to me that they had some experience with this type of problem before they started servicing zero's.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:09:34 PM by yhafting »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

You can get a similar (hands-off) experience from loose steering bearings.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

tigerbike

• Zero DS-R 2016, Photovoltac-charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 11:02:09 PM »

I never said high frequency- about the vibrations i experienced. I can't really tell where you would put the limit between "vibrations" and "shake" which may well describe the same thing to me (im not a native english speaker).

What i can say is that it caused the bike to vibrate enough that lifting both hands off the steering wheel would feel dangerous-in particular around 50-60 km/h. At 110km/h it would discourage me from going much faster at all. I am new to motorcycles, but the new front tire doesn't do these things- although it does perhaps has more "high frequency" vibrations due to a different pattern (better for rain) it does feel glued to the ground at all speeds.

The guys changing the tire said that some brands does simply not go well together. I weren't given any detailed explanation. My conclusion would be that the bike tolerances perhaps match some tire tolerances better than other- which reflects what the guys at the shop sees- all those complaining about the Pirellis (i had) left happy with the Metzelers. It seemed to me that they had some experience with this type of problem before they started servicing zero's.

Vibrations are only to be felt in the handle bar, not to be seen on the wheel itself and are mainly caused ( on the front ) by damaged bearings or wheels or a tire with
an unbalanced behavior ( Braking flat spot e.g. or the other way round ( one part is too heavy ) ). Shaky or shimmy is a left-right movement of the handle-bar if you losen your grip. That can be caused by many reasons, also from the rear of the motorcycle (rear wheel) or by mixing different tire-types or profiles or even I have had that, by changing only the rear tyre with sameone, but new. The shimmy-discussion is filling terabytes in "normal" motorbike.forums.
Pages: 1 [2]