• April 26, 2024, 10:44:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: J1772 "Handshake" Issues  (Read 917 times)

Killroy

• View Profile
J1772 "Handshake" Issues
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:21:59 AM »

Do any of the public chargers have issues with the Zero Charge Tank?

Specifically, the J1772 "handshake" / pilot signal.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: J1772 "Handshake" Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:18 AM »

The Charge Tank User Guide PDF (from their website) doesn't list any compatibility issues, so I assume they tested it widely.

Based on my experience with the DigiNow Supercharger, there are older stations that have no J signal at all and the power delivery is funky, like Blink, but generally they should work. In DigiNow's case, I can dial down power requested at startup to within their range before it decides follow the J signal. Some stations really only support 3 or 4kW, and the Charge Tank gets right into that range and might trigger badly set up stations. And sometimes the J signal is wrong for whatever reason, which would be the station owner's fault for installing it shoddily.

I recommend checking Plugshare for stations ahead of time for reviews, bearing in mind that most L2 car chargers only draw 3kW.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:33:23 AM »

Thanks.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:50:14 AM »

There is a discussion on BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum) and I realize that explaining public charging and fast charging to people new to EV is really confusing. 

Level 1, Level 2, NEMA, J1772, CCS, CHAdeMo ... adapter this/that ....

Blink, Charge Point ...

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »

I recommend checking Plugshare for stations ahead of time for reviews, bearing in mind that most L2 car chargers only draw 3kW.

That was true in 2012, where the chevy volt and Nissan leaf both had 3.3 kW onboard chargers, but since then almost all EV's have a 6.6 kW capable charger while the Ford focus EV has a 7.5 kw charger, the Tesla has up to 20 kW of on board chargers and the Rav 4 EV has a 10 kW charger.

The Zero charge tank listens to the pilot signal and has been tested with compatibility at 99.9% of all charge station types you will find in the wild.

There is a discussion on BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum) and I realize that explaining public charging and fast charging to people new to EV is really confusing. 

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314803&page=5

Wow its so funny to see that Zero got talked about in 2009 and then it took 7 years to be brought up again!  Nice job explaining stuff Killroy, it is like a foreign language when you don't know the terms.

I have another thread talking about the "potential" to add more modules for 200 mile highway range.  I wish that option was available today to mention to some of the people on the BARF forum.  It seems like for at least one guy that posted he'd buy a Zero tomorrow if it had that ability to upgrade.  But it seems like he is going out to buy another new gas bike tomorrow or something.

It was fun reading the posts from 2009
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:17:07 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »

Level 1, Level 2, NEMA, J1772, CCS, CHAdeMo ... adapter this/that ....

Blink, Charge Point ...

If you wanted to write up an article on the terms and issues for newbies, it would be a great addition to this site and ZeroManual.com
Pages: [1]