• April 26, 2024, 06:13:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odometer went crazy, or did I have a really long ride today  (Read 2141 times)

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
Odometer went crazy, or did I have a really long ride today
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »

Has anyone seen this?  I'm at about 1500-ish miles on my 2016 SR.  Tonight when I was plugging it in, I noticed (panicked) the odometer is a little off, by most of a Megamile. (It reads 899,157). Several of the app values are way off too.  Haven't done anything other than use the built in charger and quiq; and the official phone app to look at things.

Any ideas?  Any way to force a reboot other than turning off the key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Odometer went crazy, or did I have a really long ride today
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »

Cool...you saved over $118 million!! haha

Try resetting the BMS on the front of the bike/battery.  Instructions here:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Battery_Management_System_.28BMS.29
2014 Zero S

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »

Good idea, just tried it, but it didn't work.

Tried both hard and soft restarts on the BMS.  Same odometer reading.
BMS lights look normal -- when off, rightmost light single flashing; when on, just the red light (since it is low on charge right now.)

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »

Try pulling all the fuses under the seat and then put them back in after a minute.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »

Thanks for the further ideas, but...  Nope...  Still the same thing.  It doesn't appear that anything relevant goes through that fusebox though.  (ABS, accessory, just the backlight for the odometer)

Starting to feel like this is going to be bad news.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »

Your SR has a secret new battery chemistry, or so it seems, that will enable you to do that kind of mileage in a short period?

But serously, keep us posted when visiting the dealer. Good luck!
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »

Downloaded the log file...  Here is the gem:

07909     08/27/2016 21:31:08   b'Dash ODO 2147483648km > MBB ODO 2894km.  Setting MBB to 2147483648km'

No amount of turning it off/on is probably going to fix that.

Turns out that 2147483648 is a number that has bitten me before, more easily identified as 2^31...  Someone responsible for programming the MBB might need to learn about handling signed/unsigned integers and error flags correctly.   :P   My guess is that the MBB code here looks to align itself with the ODO regularly, but in this case, the ODO didn't know what was up, or a communication failure happened, etc, and it got a -1, but instead of handling it as -1 or an error flag, handled it as a positive number, and then later rewrote it back to the ODO...

I guess I could try riding it forward for a mile and see if it goes to zero, or if it starts counting backwards. Regardless, I highly doubt it will go back to the right number without help of someone with the secret commands.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »

Wow, crazy bug!
Please keep up posted on how it was resolved.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48:43 AM »

Good catch on the #! Probably something overflowed - that # is the biggest integer with a sign that a 32 bit binary can express. So the dash must be a 32 bit device that got confused or not initialized properly... or maybe Zero is missing a 0 somewhere ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2147483647_(number)#In_computing
'15 Zero SR

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
Odometer went crazy, or did I have a really long ride today
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »

In case this is later helpful for anyone else... Dealer isn't open until tomorrow.
Rode it today a little bit; reset trip 2 as it was a crazy large number too.  ODO doesn't change when moving, so it appears to understand it is at its max. Trip 2 counts up normally.  Trip 1 was meaningless numbers, and doesn't reset automatically, but now at least seems to count up normally. Trip wh/mi numbers are 0 (since mi is infinitely large)...  Poor thing is confused; I'm hoping that they can just clear and reset it.

Also very interesting- if I change it to km, the ODO shows 0, and the trip numbers get smaller rather than larger...

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:25:44 AM by jnef »

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »

You bike is possessed!  Forget the dealer...take it to an exorcist!!

Haha
2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »

I think if you get this issue put up to the proper people at Zero, they will jump on fixing it ASAP.  Incorrect Odometer readings are a big oopsie in the eyes of the federal government.

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »

They are shipping out a new dash unit. Apparently they have to replace the whole thing.

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »

Update:  Got the bike back yesterday.  They replaced the dash unit with a new one.  The MBB had remembered the incorrect info from the ODO.  They upgraded the MBB firmware to 49; and performed a full reset to defaults.  Lastly, they had to get on the phone with Zero for the secret commands to set the ODO to the right number.  Everything looks good again now.  Lifetime Wh/mi values are now significantly low (it was always about 20% low anyway), but the trip wh/mi and range works again.  Very happy with Zero and the dealer (Rocket in San Diego).

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »

Update:  Got the bike back yesterday.  They replaced the dash unit with a new one.  The MBB had remembered the incorrect info from the ODO.  They upgraded the MBB firmware to 49; and performed a full reset to defaults.  Lastly, they had to get on the phone with Zero for the secret commands to set the ODO to the right number.  Everything looks good again now.  Lifetime Wh/mi values are now significantly low (it was always about 20% low anyway), but the trip wh/mi and range works again.  Very happy with Zero and the dealer (Rocket in San Diego).

Its awesome that they can reset the ODO to the proper miles... most bikes cant do that.
Pages: [1] 2