• April 26, 2024, 09:41:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clicking sound coming from near the rear axle (Warm/Hot Days)  (Read 3196 times)

joystix2

• Electric Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Clicking sound coming from near the rear axle (Warm/Hot Days)
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:00:41 AM »

All,
   Im getting a loud clicking noise from my rear axle area when I lean to the left. It does not happen on my commute to work in the morning cold air but when commuting home and its hot Outside like in the 90's it gets really bad after my 20 mile ride home. I have uploaded a video of the sound holding my cell phone pointing towrds the rear axle. I have taken it to my local Dealer (BMW motorcycle off of San Carlos St in San Jose, Ca) and they said they would send the Video to Zero but I havent heard anything back from them in the past few months. I was thinking it may be bad bearings but not sure. Any thoughts?

Video: 

Ric
2014 Zero SR with Ext Bat
2014 Zero SR w/ extended Power Tank
Zero OEM Windshield
RAM Mount Cell Phone attachment
Bar Ends Rear View Mirrors

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Clicking sound coming from near the rear axle (Warm/Hot Days)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:51:52 AM »

I don't know what is making that click, but I am pretty sure it is not a bad wheel bearing. They typically make a continuous rumble and you can't hear the noise while the bike is running unless it is going to fail right away. It sounds to me like maybe some sort of chassis part is loose. Likely the reason that you haven't heard back from Zero is that they have no idea what it might be, either.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ser15

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »

A few months ago I had a similar noise. After much searching at the end was noise coming from the belt. I was solved with dry silicone spray. Only happened at low speeds (no more than 20 k/h)

Enviado desde mi 6045B mediante Tapatalk

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:21:50 AM »

It is a bad bearing, almost positive. Had the exact same problem on my FX.

Just have the dealer take the wheel off and check. Its a simple procedure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »

Possibly a bad bearing but maybe the drive pulley is loose and it's a keyway clicking noise, not too sure, can you make it do it or is it intermittent?
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 06:24:23 PM »

I also am almost certain it is a bad wheel bearing.  Heard that noise many times on my severely overweight 2012 Zero Vetter bike and it was always the rear wheel bearing on the single side opposite the drive belt, the drive belt side shares two bearings side by side.

Starting in 2015 all Zero's got heavy duty wheel bearings, but 2014 and earlier they can go out around 20,000 miles give or take.  This isn't mentioned in Zero's marketing material, they usually focus on the fully adjustable smoother and beefier Showa suspension, J Juan and Bosch ABS brakes, Pirelli tires, but the new wheels and bearings are the biggest reason I feel if you own a 2014 or earlier Zero to eventually plan to upgrade to a 2015 or newer Zero when you can.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »

Just for reference Terry is the axle much bigger?
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 01:30:24 AM »

I also am almost certain it is a bad wheel bearing.  Heard that noise many times on my severely overweight 2012 Zero Vetter bike and it was always the rear wheel bearing on the single side opposite the drive belt, the drive belt side shares two bearings side by side.

Starting in 2015 all Zero's got heavy duty wheel bearings, but 2014 and earlier they can go out around 20,000 miles give or take.  This isn't mentioned in Zero's marketing material, they usually focus on the fully adjustable smoother and beefier Showa suspension, J Juan and Bosch ABS brakes, Pirelli tires, but the new wheels and bearings are the biggest reason I feel if you own a 2014 or earlier Zero to eventually plan to upgrade to a 2015 or newer Zero when you can.

Thanks for this Terry. Based on the video from the original post and your description, I think my bearing has gone too. At 7,800 miles in my case. I'll ring my local dealer tomorrow and see about getting it sorted.

joystix2

• Electric Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:44:26 AM »

I had no luck with my dealer. I took it to them twice. The first time they couldn't get it to make the sound so they told me to take a video which I did and then they said the would send the video to Zero and get back to me. That was about 3-4 months ago. It usually happens on hot summer days during or after a long ride. It hasn't made the clicking noise in a while and Im thinking its because its cooler weather or because I loosened the axle bolt about 1/4 turn
2014 Zero SR w/ extended Power Tank
Zero OEM Windshield
RAM Mount Cell Phone attachment
Bar Ends Rear View Mirrors

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 01:54:19 AM »

I had no luck with my dealer. I took it to them twice. The first time they couldn't get it to make the sound so they told me to take a video which I did and then they said the would send the video to Zero and get back to me. That was about 3-4 months ago. It usually happens on hot summer days during or after a long ride. It hasn't made the clicking noise in a while and Im thinking its because its cooler weather or because I loosened the axle bolt about 1/4 turn

1/4 turn might have taken some pressure off the bearing!  Sorry the dealer couldn't replicate the issue.  The 2017's will be announced in a couple weeks.  This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a 2017.  Although the in stock 2016 Zero's should come down as well as the 2015's.  Not that I want you to just give this problem to someone else, but you obviously ride a lot.  And for anyone who really uses their Zero, I recommend everyone try to get a 2015 or 2016 for about 20 reasons.  One of them of course is the wheel bearings.  Soon I hope I can recommend a 2015, 2016 AND 2017, making the 2015's cheaper for those who have had a 2014 or earlier and haven't been able to upgrade yet for financial reasons.  I hope the bearing makes it through the winter for you joystix2, and hope you have options available for perhaps a newer model Zero in spring sometime.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »

I also hear some "wobbling" sound in your video. Not only from the brakes, but it appears to be from the wheel/belt. This tells me something is not quite well aligned back there, possibly loose...
'15 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

Check your axial nut torque (75lb ft) and your motor shaft key for play.
If not those things my money is on your wheel bearings.  Mine went out and it sounded pretty mush the same.  I had trouble recreating it for a while but when they get real bad you hear it all the time.
It also sound like your belt might be grazing the belt guard which would be the wheel wobbling too.

Good luck.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »

Just for reference Terry is the axle much bigger?

Not sure how I missed this before.  The axle is exactly the same size.  So it is possible with some custom made wheel spacers to use a 2015+ wheel on a 2014 or earlier.  I used a 2015 wheel on my 2012 Vetter bike and machined some spacers.  However I never ran a rear brake, I just used some custom setting for massive wheel locking capable regen, so not sure how a mechanical brake will work.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:07:12 AM »

I've managed to book my bike in for Tuesday. Does anyone have experience of riding on failing bearings for a significant amount of time? I hate getting the train to work...

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:34:15 AM »

I've managed to book my bike in for Tuesday. Does anyone have experience of riding on failing bearings for a significant amount of time? I hate getting the train to work...

Worst case event they all lock up and/or the races inside disintegrate. This happened on a Subaru car I drive (all-wheel drive) and I managed to run another 6 months once I suspected there was a problem, until I had to drag the car's locked up drive train over to a parking lot.

Don't risk it on 2-wheels, man.
Pages: [1] 2