• April 25, 2024, 04:33:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turn signal indicator blocked by cables?  (Read 1689 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Turn signal indicator blocked by cables?
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »

Didn't see anything with a search for the topic.  The cables that come up and loop back down in front of the dash block my view, especially of the right turn signal indicator.  I did noticed it when I did test rides, but it wasn't a show stopper.  I hadn't seen any other discussions about it on here, and figured I'd be able to reroute the cable.  Now that I have the bike, it doesn't seem like a good plan to try to do so.  Am I the only one that has an issue with this?  The bike I own is an FXS, but I noticed it on the other models as well.
  Even if I can't see it, if the sound were a little louder, I'd be able to hear it and not ride for a mile with my turn signal going.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Turn signal indicator blocked by cables?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:54:48 AM »

Very common problem.  I have a loop of velcro around the handlebar tube and on the cables to keep it slightly out of the way but not restrict it from sliding around with steering.

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »

Same here.  I've gotten into the habit of frequently disengaging the turn indicators, just in case they're still on.
2015 Zero FX

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 02:48:39 AM »

The armored cables for the FX/FXS and DS/DSR all have this issue. I'm habituated to cancel my turn signals, but it's a bit of an issue for most.

This hack to provide vibration feedback is something I've seen in person and seems like it'll be a cheap kit to order and install if you're okay with it:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6138
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »

I just pushed the cables further along the clamps in to the space between the handlebars and the chassis...i.e.from left to right. It only needed two inches of adjustment to fix the problem on my FX, and there is extra flexibility that is unnecessary under there now while turning, but no negative result I can fathom. The grand question is why ZERO didn't do this for me!?!?? Could they not make the cable two inches shorter themselves or attach the guide clamps in such a way as to not block the view of the controls?!?!! You would think so but perhaps too small an issue to get "bent out of shape" over. Sorry couldn't help it had to do something special for first post! :p

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:52:28 AM by AdEPT Erik »

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »

I just pushed the cables further along the clamps in to the space between the handlebars and the chassis...i.e.from left to right. It only needed two inches of adjustment to fix the problem on my FX

Sounds like an easy fix.  Can you post a pic of how you moved/supported the cable?
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »

I just pushed the cables further along the clamps in to the space between the handlebars and the chassis...i.e.from left to right. It only needed two inches of adjustment to fix the problem on my FX

Sounds like an easy fix.  Can you post a pic of how you moved/supported the cable?

Yup will try to get the done later when home from work, but really it's not too technical ... literally just grabbed the cables and force fed them down into the guts of the machine. I assume since they come up from the front brake that they eventually lead to the front brake caliper....so by shoving them out of my way all I did was create a larger loop inside the guts somewhere. The cables one black small one and one larger silvery one are held in place by clamps, and they are very tight, but with enough force, and I think I pulled down with my free hand below the first clamp while also pushing down with my right hand, I was able to slide them along the first clamp on the right. I used no tools and literally just grabbed the cables and slowly but forcefully pushed them down towards the clamp which eventually let them slide down from their original position. I tried the clamp leading up to the control box from the front wheel assembly, but it was too tight and it would have looked dumb to have extra cable sticking out there....so I concentrated on the right side pushing down instead of the left.

So to answer your question I did not support the cable with anything extra, just used the existing clamps and pushed the cable such that the arc in my face was smaller, and the arc somewhere in the gut was obviously bigger...but I didn't actually see where exactly.... The display obfuscated my view in a good way there.

One pet peeve while doing this though was that I noticed my head lights wires are not shielded at the ends...is this by design or just lazy !?!??! Will I wreck anything if I go in there with some black electric tape and wrap up the red and white ends a bit? Just seems like water or dirt and road grime could get into the wiring all exposed like that?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:21:56 AM by AdEPT Erik »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

...Will I wreck anything if I go in there with some black electric tape and wrap up the red and white ends a bit? Just seems like water or dirt and road grime could get into the wiring all exposed like that?

PVC tape is not recommended, it will make a messy residue and will not protect against corrosion. Perhaps dielectric grease is more suitable?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 07:38:14 AM »

How much can the brake lines be safely bent?  I loosened the gauge cluster on my FXS and routed the cable and brake line underneath it, like so:

I'm pretty happy with the end result, but want to make sure I'm not over stressing something.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:44:30 AM by domingo3 »

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »

Are the brakes engaging and releasing smoothly like that?
When you turn the handlebars to full lock on either side, is there no pinching or overstressing?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »

Are the brakes engaging and releasing smoothly like that?
When you turn the handlebars to full lock on either side, is there no pinching or overstressing?

I've noticed no change in brake performance.  I don't know how to evaluate if the line is overstressed, but the sharpest bend is where I have the arrows pointing in the photo.  The way I have things routed, there is sufficient slack on either side of that point so that it does not have any additional stress when turning the handlebars lock to lock.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 02:25:43 PM »

Can you snap a few more pictures?
I might give this a shot on my FXS

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »

Sorry it took me a while to get pics up.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »

Looks so much better!
That bend is worrying me a bit though...

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 07:25:25 AM »

Sorry for the delay...nit good with how to post pics...

image uploading site

image posting
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:38:36 AM by AdEPT Erik »
Pages: [1] 2