• April 26, 2024, 06:46:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: power cuts off  (Read 1792 times)

flexydude

• View Profile
power cuts off
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:56:30 PM »

the last few times i rode , i turn key on, get on bike, put stand up and power cuts off for a few seconds with an audible click, then comes back on. It has happened a few times, and once when i came to stop, without touching sidestand, cut out, then came back on in a few seconds. All power stops, as if turning off the key, no lights or instrument panel. Going to bring back to dealer next week since still under warranty. It's a 2014ds

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: power cuts off
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:32:08 AM »

Did you email your logs to Zero and your dealer?  What did they say?
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »

i don't know how to email logs, i'll let the dealer do that

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »

i don't know how to email logs, i'll let the dealer do that

You can do that directly from the Zero mobile app. The rightmost tab is a service interface, and lets you do this.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:28:10 PM »

App? the bike didn't come with one of those smartphone thingy's, I'm not buying one, not getting caught in that trap

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:22:09 AM »

That is a really cool answer.  ÷1 !
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 03:19:48 AM »

Ahem, fine. If you want, you can use the OBD-II port to get logs, or you can buy a "non-phone" mobile device with bluetooth and WiFi (used iPod Touch or some cheaper Android tablets, say).

Otherwise, you're going to be very dependent on your dealer. Good luck.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 06:53:32 AM »

App? the bike didn't come with one of those smartphone thingy's, I'm not buying one, not getting caught in that trap

Any tablet computer that is built with Android OS system software will run the Zero app just fine. You should consider investing in a small tablet or older smartphone for maps and navigation anyhow. There is no requirement to buy a cellular service provider plan in order to use apps or maintain a smartphone.

I was given a Samsung Galaxy S3 and use it for music playback, maps, and the Zero app. I do not have a cellular plan for it.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

My '15 SR has done that for the last year since I bought it. Two months at the shop and I got her back with a new charger...and a few weeks later the problem started again. I've been putting it off since I don't want to be without for that long again, but I'm hoping they can fix it this second round. My logs show nothing, the dealer pulled them or when I used the app to pull them.

Does your screen and headlight cut out for a second or two also? Then the lights and screen come on, like you're first turning the key?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »

yes. the screen, and lights go off, and i can hear a click, just as when key is turned off, then clicks back on after 1 second.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »

The click would seem to be the contactor, but the contactor opening by itself shouldn't cut off the dash. Definitely get it to a dealer.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 03:48:05 AM »

I'm taking mine in any weekend now. If you get yours fixed first, please tell me what the solution was!
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »

dropped off at dealer today, now the wait begins. Also had a problem with the front end, on hard braking there is a loud clank, or snap sound from somewhere in the front end, i'm thinking steering stem or bearings. It has always clunked and rattled going down dirt roads, but this sounds more serious

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »

Keep us posted!
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »

So I am assuming you have got to kidding, right?  You are obviously aware of technology having an electric motorcycle, but I can't imagine not owning a smart phone and having a Zero. 

How do you find charge stations?  Do you carry paper maps with you on the bike?   And connecting to the bike to set custom settings as well as the dashboard feature to see motor, controller, battery temp, energy usage, etc.  Zero's now are extremely reliable now, but what if something ever happened and you needed to look something up you remember from this forum or call someone new to ask a question? 

Since my phone does the same job that about 30 separate devices did for me 15 years ago, I feel the value of a smartphone given its size is priceless, especially for someone who has an electric motorcycle.

Regardless, glad the bike is at the dealer.  Curiosity has me wondering if you would elaborate on the conspiracy or trap you believe phones have.

I am going to take a wild guess, and forgive me if i'm wrong, just trying to see if I can figure this out if what you said is true as it is perplexing me that this could be possible. 

1)  You got an electric motorcycle because you enjoy the idea of saving money on things on an ongoing basis like gasoline, but that same logic has you not wanting to pay monthly for data and cell service because that will just go on month after month after month and possibly forever.  And communicating with others holds very little value to you compared with the idea of saving money.

2) you lived close to Three Mile Island in the late 70's and had flashbacks a few years later with Cherynobyl and are extremely concerned with electro magnetic radiation holding a milliwatt transmitter right up to your ear for fear of one day getting brain cancer?  Although this seems unlikely, since irrational fears about cancer are improbable if you are willing to have a 75 kilowatt device a few inches under your balls.  Scratch this one.

3) You are a well trained doomsday survivalist, and in the post apocalyptical world, you know cell towers will be out of service anyway, gas stations will be empty, but you can use the solar panels on your roof to charge your Zero so you can ride down to the river to get fresh water and fish and survive like that for decades without the need for anyone else.  Just you and your Zero accelerating with 106 foot pounds of torque when you see the Zombies coming.  They don't stand a chance.

4) You worked closely with Eric Snowden back in the day and you know better than anyone that the government is using phones to track your every move, and secretly it listens to you all the time.  You use cash for your transactions, change your routine often, ride a stealthy electric motorcycle that they can't hear coming and can let you quickly evade "them" cause they are trying to follow you.  You don't have to worry about convenient store or gas station cameras ever seeing your vehicle since you never have to stop at them.  You charge only at home under a camouflage cover the satellite images can't see.  You have night vision goggles and have the bike wired to cut all lights. 

Right before getting home you ride a half mile at least up the river in a 5 foot section for a few reasons.  It cancels the scent so the german shepards get confused, and it takes any heat out of the motor that was there so the infrared sensing flir drones can't see any heat signature.  And if you were ever being chased, their gas motorcycles would inhale water and break their connecting rods on the first compression stroke, letting you get away. You know you need to stay 2 steps ahead of them at all times.  And a Zero motorcycle easily helps you stay at least 3.

I really am hoping it's the last one!  ;)

Lol, Sorry flexy it's almost 1 AM and I'm tired but can't sleep for some reason so my brain is trying to entertain itself to get tired.  Hope you don't mind me having a little fun with this.  I am genuinely curious to your response.  Although I still think there's a chance you're pulling our chain, but I just can't imagine what the motivation would be to do that, although I'm trying to think outside the box but am drawing a blank so far.

Anyway, aside from not having a phone if that's true, I'm glad you got your bike to the dealer and they are getting it fixed so you can be back on the road.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:55:37 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1] 2