• April 27, 2024, 04:39:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DS/DSR truck bumper hauler  (Read 2253 times)

Kd5drs

• View Profile
DS/DSR truck bumper hauler
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

Wondering if anyone here has a truck bumper hitch cycle hauler that they recommend or recommend against.
I see two the fit my needs a 100$ 500lbs capacity dirt bike hauler and a 600# street bike hauler.  I like the dirt bike hauler as it appears to be able to roll off forwards but looks marginal on durability. 
I brought my 16 DSR home on regular ATV trailer and a strap came off and luckily it fell onto its kick stand,  major pucker factor, so looking at more dedicated smaller hauler.

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-500/

http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-steel-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-600/

The height of the DSR is a little concern for loading/unloading by myself any input appreciated

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: DS/DSR truck bumper hauler
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »

I have one just like the first one in your link. I use it for my CR500.
I chose it because its steel and cheap. I figured I could weld it up if it sucked.

It came in a big box:

When I first bought it, I bolted it together and put it on the jeep. it wiggled and flexed a bit and wasnt that awesome.

So I used a silver sharpie to mark where every part touched together.  I took it apart, and ground the powdercoat off where the sharpie marks were left.
I then re-assembled it and welded it solid.
It was now rock solid, but it moved around in the hitch.

It has a cool hitch pin bolt that pinned it from wiggling side to side, but it had this up-down bounce to it.
I used a U-bolt and a piece of angle iron to make an anti-rattle clamp.

once I did that.. it was rock solid. REALLY solid. I would trust any bike on it now. no wiggle. no flex. if you strap the bike down tight, it moves only with the vehicle. no wiggles bounces or worry.

That said, getting it up there with the stock ramp sucked. I have a 3 way folding aluminum ramp that I use instead of the short ramp it comes with.  The CR500 is a fairly light bike, and it is impossible to just walk onto the carrier with the short ramp. its just too steep.
I took some angle iron and bolted it to my folding ramp. It then has a lip to grab the carrier.

All this sounds like a ton of work, but I did it all in one evening and its worked flawless ever since. I think its money well spent.
It is very heavy to move around though.. but once its on the Jeep, its so much nicer than a trailer.

Kd5drs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »

Looks like you got it set up just right and thanks for feedback.   The loading ramp was a big concern as the DSR is rather tall like a straight up dirt bike and at 430# it's not light. I dread loading and unloading it on any ramp which is why I wanted some recommendations.  I have a Z-71 which adds height to loading.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »

I also have the same carrier, I don't have pics but I can recommend a few things
1- straps rub the tank area if they aren't out to the ends of the bars , I used a small strap side to side to keep the straps in place
2- I run a set of straps from the ends of the carrier to the stake pockets on either side
3- I have a 2013 s so when the suspension is compressed the charger/skid plate hits the centre of the carrier where they have the braces (probably not an issue for the ds)
4- have a strap ready to hook on the bars so it doesn't tip while you strap it down

Other than that it's easy to run the bike up while standing beside it and then run it down when unloading,
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:50 AM »

A bit off-topic, but what's the advice on using a hitch attachment that only lifts the front wheel and the rear is rolling? Basically, towing the bike? I would think some heat will get generated in the motor from this... on the plus side, if the battery is low, I suppose one can charge the bike-up through regen of it is turned on...

I have a small car so a hitch carrier is not an option, but a small trailer or jut a carrier for the front wheel would work great. On occasion I've rented a motorcycle trailer from UHaul, but that thing is heavier than the bike and affects the car's mileage and performance too much, so I don't want to do it regularly. I've been looking for one of these 2-wheel trailers that are just a rail for the bike (not a platform) so that they fold for storage and are very lightweight. Anyone using one of these? Advice? 
'15 Zero SR

Chief_Lee_Visceral

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:32:55 AM »

I could be wrong but isn't 450lbs pushing the limit of a bumper hitch? Just saying maybe you should verify the capacity spec before you buy.
Current bikes:

2016 Zero DSR
2014 KTM 1190R
2011 Husaberg FE570S
2012 KTM 500EXC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Honda CRF450X Rally
1987 BMW K100RS

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 03:02:56 AM »

A bit off-topic, but what's the advice on using a hitch attachment that only lifts the front wheel and the rear is rolling? Basically, towing the bike? I would think some heat will get generated in the motor from this... on the plus side, if the battery is low, I suppose one can charge the bike-up through regen of it is turned on...

I have a small car so a hitch carrier is not an option, but a small trailer or jut a carrier for the front wheel would work great. On occasion I've rented a motorcycle trailer from UHaul, but that thing is heavier than the bike and affects the car's mileage and performance too much, so I don't want to do it regularly. I've been looking for one of these 2-wheel trailers that are just a rail for the bike (not a platform) so that they fold for storage and are very lightweight. Anyone using one of these? Advice?
Since the Zero has no way to disengage the motor such as a neutral, you would need to drop the chain or belt in order to safely tow the bike with the rear wheel on the ground.

I currently use a 2006(?) Stinger trailer that I found on Craigslist which works surprisingly well.  The Stinger rattles like crazy without a bike, but tows very nicely when loaded.  It weighs something like 150 lbs and will fit in the back of a larger SUV when folded.  I need to unbolt the tray from the axle (6 bolts) to get it inside my Honda CR-V so I can transport it without it rattling.

I have used a U-Haul before and it works well enough, but I really felt the weight when towing and they rattle pretty bad, especially when unloaded.

Kendon also makes some nice trailers that are in between the U-Haul and Stinger in size and weight.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 05:30:10 AM »

I have hauled my 2014 Zero S using this type of hitch.  Here are a few notes.

1. I found aluminum and steel construction.  Obviously steele can carry more but it also weighs more.  I found an aluminum carrier that could carry 400lbs (curb weight on 2014 Zero S is 399lbs).
2. Verify the total tongue capacity of the tow vehicle.  Tow capacity is how much you can pull. Tongue capacity is how much weight you can have on the hitch.  Since this isn't a trailer all the weight of the bike PLUS the weight of the carrier is on the hitch.  The tongue capacity of the vehicle needs to exceed the weight of the bike plus the carrier.  I found an aluminum carrier that weighed 34lbs as opposed to steel which all weighed about 100lbs.  So for me I needed a tongue capacity of 433lbs.  My car only had a tongue capacity of 350lbs  :(  I was over but used it anyway under the assumption that it was bad for the suspension and tires and I might notice vehicle handling affects but that the bike was not going to fall off the back of the vehicle.
3. Be prepared to watch the bike shake...a lot.  As the bike rocks back and forth you are going to keep thinking its going to twist off....every bump....every turn....every gust of wind.  I only used it once because of this.  I still have it but I would only use it as a last resort.  Also, I don't have a car anymore but that's beside the point.
4. Getting the bike on is really easy because the electric drive makes it a breeze to walk it up the ramp and use the electric motor to assist.
5. Getting the bike off was a pain unless you buy a carrier that lets you roll forward to get off.  Pulling the bike backwards off the carrier with the rear wheel lowered into the last rung was a pain.  The second time (on the same trip) I pulled the bike back a bit to get the ramp under the front tire so I could drive off forwards...worked much better once I got the ramp under the front tire but getting it under the tire wasn't easy since I was doing it all myself.  It wouldn't be that bad with another person.  However, If I was planning to use it again I would just create a spot to latch the ramp to the other side so I could drive on and then drive off just by putting the ramp on one side or the other....without having to roll the bike back a little to get it under the front tire for driving off.
6. As someone else mentioned you need to watch the straps on the tank.  I would actually recommend just taking the tank off for the trip.
7. Don't run straps through the lower hole where the swing arm connects to the frame.  The straps will get cut by the edge of the hole/swing arm.  I think you actually need a little bit of flex between the carrier and the attach points on the bike.  Front connections have a little play because of front shock.  After I cut one strap using the swing arm hole I used loops on the frame which got a little flex from the rear shock.
8. Stop to check the tension on the straps...a lot....it seems like every time I stopped I could go back and tighten it down some more as things kept shifting and settling.  The fact that I was checking it so often is the reason I found out the rear strap going through the swing arm hole had been cut.
9. When I was using mine I scraped the tail end of the carrier on the ground when going down a slant onto level ground (like out of a steep driveway onto a street that is level).  I could avoid it by going in/out at an angle.  You can see that my Nissan Murano was pretty weighed down carrying the Zero.  If I put some stiffer shocks in the back to even things out it would have helped but I think I still would have had to be careful not to scrape.
10. Make sure to relieve the pressure from the shocks using the little screw at the top when you take the bike off the carrier.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:40:15 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »

Looks like I got the same one as your first listed one the 500lb one.  I've hauled it around about 5 or 6 times now.  I have a 13 DS and a 2007 Tundra (that I may have bought to haul the bike) but the trucks will work very well as after I LOCK that thing down with four ratchet straps rated at 450lbs I criss cross two 1000lbs straps from the furthest back corners of the rack across the seat and to the rear tie downs of the truck bed. Even though the Tundra has a class III hitch with a good tongue rating for this bike and hauler the straps to the truck bed tie downs help take a lot of that weight off the hitch and give some to the tie downs. I put a rag over the left bar grip and it touches the tailgate with everything locked down quite tight.  I don't trust any wiggle or wabble.  The thoughts of that thing coming off scares the crap out of me as it could kill anyone behind me and even if no one was there the bike would be a total loss.  But no clutch you just turn it on and real easy whirr it up on the carrier.  Coming off I have knocked the ramp off like two times by tring to go too fast and getting it off center.  Oh one last thing criss cross your straps to the center of the handle bars not on the grips.  That throttle isn't very tough and can break under tie down.  The bar swells up at the center and gives the strap hooks something to lock onto. 
If your in a SUV ummm never mind all that :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:57:07 PM by NEW2elec »

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:51:07 AM »

I used one once to bring a 2013 Zero S to the dealership on the hitch of my Suburban.

They work pretty well!  Be sure to strap them down well, though.  When strapping them down, follow the instructions re: bleeding the forks.

Kd5drs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »

I think I have a class iv hitch but know it is at least a class three so the toungue weight is not a problem.  My biggest concern was the loading and unloading as I'm not as young as I used to be and the DSR is a little taller than the SR so was concerned on the difficulty of loading and unloading without losin balance and dumping it off the ramp 1/2 way up.  Once loaded I'll strap the heck out of it

The cheaper one you don't have to go backward to unload but ramps look smoother and maybe a little lower to ground on the 600# one.  The more expensive one also has the tie downs extended away from bike which I think would help with the tank issue y'all have mentioned

Thanks for insight

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »

I think I have a class iv hitch but know it is at least a class three so the toungue weight is not a problem.  My biggest concern was the loading and unloading as I'm not as young as I used to be and the DSR is a little taller than the SR so was concerned on the difficulty of loading and unloading without losin balance and dumping it off the ramp 1/2 way up.  Once loaded I'll strap the heck out of it

The cheaper one you don't have to go backward to unload but ramps look smoother and maybe a little lower to ground on the 600# one.  The more expensive one also has the tie downs extended away from bike which I think would help with the tank issue y'all have mentioned

Thanks for insight
There is a difference between tongue capacity and hitch capacity.  Hitch capacity is based on the size of the hitch and the way it attaches to the vehicle.  Tongue capacity is based on vehicle weight and stiffness of suspension.  Tongue capacity is vehicle specific.  If you are using a class IV hitch, your hitch capacity is fine (hitch won't break off vehicle) but you need to make sure your vehicle tongue capacity can support the weight of the bike plus the carrier. If you exceed the tongue capacity you will be really weighted down in back and you are really going to notice the affects of road bumps (the weight causes back end to bounce a little).  If you are a little over the tongue capacity you should be OK...but if you are already on the edge or over then picking a beefier carrier that weighs more is going to make things worse.

Most full size trucks or full size SUV should be fine but you will need to verify if you have a mid or small size truck/SUV or other vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »

A couple of tricks that can help secure a bike, especially in this case...

Strap rings
https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dancer-Tie-Down-Strap-90009/dp/B0068ESQTY
  • These are rings that let you create new connection points for your straps.
  • These can lower the strap connection points, giving better lateral stability.
  • They can help you avoid damaging the handlebars or nearby controls.
  • Unfortunately, these may not fit on most Zeros, because the triple clamp bolts are slightly recessed in a counterbore.
  • For my FX, I was able to incorporate them into the the inner bracket of the hand guards.  They're a little higher than the triple clamps, but still an improvement vs my handlebar connection options.

Fork brace
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-MotoCRoss-Suspension-Transport/dp/B000UHDUQE/
  • This is a brace between the front tire and the fender.
  • Allows you to tighten the front straps without compressing/pressurizing the forks.
  • Prevents the shock from bouncing during transport, reducing the likelihood of a strap popping loose.
  • Can be replicated using a simple block of wood (for my FX, I use a block of wood that is approx 2.5"x3"x7" tall).

2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 11:51:07 PM »

A couple of tricks that can help secure a bike, especially in this case...

Strap rings
https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dancer-Tie-Down-Strap-90009/dp/B0068ESQTY
  • These are rings that let you create new connection points for your straps.
  • These can lower the strap connection points, giving better lateral stability.
  • They can help you avoid damaging the handlebars or nearby controls.
  • Unfortunately, these may not fit on most Zeros, because the triple clamp bolts are slightly recessed in a counterbore.
  • For my FX, I was able to incorporate them into the the inner bracket of the hand guards.  They're a little higher than the triple clamps, but still an improvement vs my handlebar connection options.

Fork brace
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-MotoCRoss-Suspension-Transport/dp/B000UHDUQE/
  • This is a brace between the front tire and the fender.
  • Allows you to tighten the front straps without compressing/pressurizing the forks.
  • Prevents the shock from bouncing during transport, reducing the likelihood of a strap popping loose.
  • Can be replicated using a simple block of wood (for my FX, I use a block of wood that is approx 2.5"x3"x7" tall).
The strap rings are cool. Never saw them before. thanks!

The fork brace works well too.. I used to use one, until I broke it (unrelated to use).

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »

I have one, I don't use it anymore.   Was using it to carry a 400c on back of  a motorhome.  While the hitch was strong enough and I wasn't worried about that, on one trip thru NJ (worse roads in the world) the heaves made the whole carrier move back and forth, even though the bike was strapped perfect.  The end of my handlebar was 12' from back of motorhome, yet it moved back and forth to bang into the back grill causing a lot of damage to the vehicle.
Pages: [1] 2