• April 27, 2024, 12:08:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SDG Custom Seat  (Read 3536 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
SDG Custom Seat
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Thanks to a reference in a recent seat-height thread, I just had my spare '14-'16 FX seat redone by SDG USA.  The Web site is dirt-oriented, but Jeff told me he could do seats for just about any bike, and was quite familiar with Zero.  I sent him a complete seat and diagram (below), and the finished item fits perfectly.  If you're going to get your seat done, I'd recommend doing it this way if at all possible, rather than just a diagram or description (custom pans can involve a lot of extra time & effort, and likely some guesswork re final fit unless the bike's on hand to refer to).

Here are LH and top views of the seat - the '13 MX seat I was using before is at the bottom (I imagine we all know what the stock FX seat looks like):

Diagram:

The seat is slightly different from the diagram but turned out to be just what I needed, and lets me stand up with almost no effort.  The taller seat works well with the high bars & low pegs to give me nearly the same riding posture as my YZ, but with more room and 'stretch'.  The slanted sides keep my legs away from the battery rails - now I have to squeeze my legs together to feel them.  The bike also seems thinner now, even though the new seat is wider at the bottom than the MX one.  The foam is nice and firm, so the added height doesn't get lost in squash-down.

As far as looks go...  I knew it would look like a tall seat - IMO they always do - but the Zero layout is already so different from the dirt-bike 'norm' it doesn't stand out nearly as much as I thought it would.  I really like how it follows the line of the rails and rear side covers, which was one of the reasons I used the FX pan (it's also a little longer & wider than the MX pan).  Next time I'd go with no logos, though. :)

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: SDG Custom Seat
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »

Great idea Ray, and nice that you were probably able to keep the old cover/foam in case you want it for resale.

Sounds like the added height was your main motivator?  The length might also help for a passenger.  I thought I would really dislike that the MX seat was narrower than the battery rails, but the difference ended up being negligible while riding, for me anyway.

Did SDG provide a job number, or any other identifier in case someone wants to order the same design?

Any chance you can reveal the cost, so people can weigh this option vs ordering the MX seat?
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »

I think they retained the bottom layer of foam, as it was already fitted to the pan - they cut it off level, then added the center and sides (the invoice reads '3-stage foam', which may refer to center-section layers).  I got the OEM cover back, though.

I did it mostly for the added height, but also for a longer usable seating area in case I needed to slide front or back.  I had them cut some off the back to square it up, but they could've left it as-is or maybe even added some length if needed.

The SDG invoice # is 5819, the total w/shipping was $205, and I think the seat work took them a few days to complete.  I paid $70 for an FX seat and $100 for the MX seat.

Ray

'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:23 AM »

Apparently, the Honda CRF450's seat (years 05-07) is a direct bolt on replacement to the FX!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:05:21 AM by odedmaz »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:15:34 AM »

And here is the Honda CRF 450 seat on my Zero. Some adjustments are needed to the front fastener, and the rear bolts. Nothing major.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »

Cool!  :)
Pages: [1]