• April 26, 2024, 08:52:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Considering a Zero SR for commuting  (Read 5054 times)

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
Re: Considering a Zero SR for commuting
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 07:59:36 AM »

Do yourself a favor and buy one.

I commute 5 days a week on an SR. 45 miles each way, 2000 miles per month when the weather is good. I get to work with 55% remaining and some of my commute is at 80 MPH but I would guess the average speed is about 55 MPH. Get the SR if you like to have fun. I think 140 kM is very attainable as long as the speeds are not too high, just tuck in behind a big vehicle and you can go forever. I typically get about 100 miles per charge with the majority on highway.

I bought a puig universal windscreen and it is really nice. No helmet buffeting at all and the wind hits the top of my shoulders which is just about right. It is very adjustable and it adds to the styling.

You will love the SR, it is my all time favorite motorcycle.

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »

The Zero SR will definitely handle 140km (87mi) in one charge. A 13kWh 2016 should be able to handle 100 highway miles (160km) easily, although variables like headwinds and high speeds without a fairing or windscreen will eat at that. The stock charger will recharge from completely empty in about 9 hours like the specs claim.

A top case is a great idea, and will not affect your range very much at all (no one has been able to measure a difference). Presumably the air as it goes around you just re-attaches around the smooth edges of a Givi top case, so there's only a tiny penalty at best. You won't notice - I use a Givi Maxia E55. The OEM side case option impacts range very slightly but only about 5% or so. Boxier side cases would make more of a difference.

Zero's touring windscreen is the best OEM option for drag/range and only mounts to the handlebars so is easy to deal with. It should give you about a 10% range increase and you shouldn't have to tuck much to get behind it.

I've gone further and installed a very large Parabellum windscreen which seems to offer 15% range increase at least: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5525

That said, I am looking forward to a prebuilt or DIY fairing like quixotic's.

I would say the reliability factor is just about the turnaround time dealing with a Zero problem, which can be highly dependent on your dealer or location in the world. I keep my very reliable V-Strom as backup, but I prefer the Zero whenever I can.

Thanks for your response!
My main worry is the range, but judging from your response that should not be an issue. That is reassuring :-)
This afternoon, I will test-drive the SR and hope that I will like it. Will surely consider the touring windscreen if I decide to purchase the bike.

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

I'll try and post a photo or two tonight on the "fairing fitment" thread.
Looking forward to see pictures of your fairing. I like the idea of mixing classic style with high-tech machines like the Zero.

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »

I'd say, keep two things in mind. First, nobody squawks when their bike doesn't break down, so there's a pretty significant confirmation bias. You only hear about the problem children. Problems are almost always reported, but the lack of any problems is rarely, if ever, reported.

Second, it may seem new and unfamiliar, but it's really just like any other vehicle. If it breaks down, you get it to the shop, get it repaired, you're back on the road. I suspect that for several years, Zero had more reliability problems than most motorcycle makes, and repairs may have taken longer, strictly because they're a new manufacturer and they are using a different drivetrain technology than the others use. But most of us with 2013/2014 bikes have found them quite reliable, and my understanding is the newer bikes are even better.

I think just about every single person on this forum would tell you not to let the fear of the unknown keep you from the wonderful experience these machines provide. They are WORTH it.
Reliability is very important for me, but not my main concern. My main concerns are:
- range (which should be OK judging from the response of @BrianTRice, @Blotman, @oregonrider89 and @Manzanita)
- price (is it worth the investment? for the same price you can get "premium" bikes like my current one with active suspension, traction control, corner ABS, etc.)
- road-handling, brakes, driving fun (which I hope to find out later today)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:13:45 PM by guppie70 »

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »

Looking forward to see pictures of your fairing. I like the idea of mixing classic style with high-tech machines like the Zero.

The up-to-date photo is on the other thread now.  Yeah, I'm a big fan of those curvy 1960's.  Agostini's MV Agusta was perhaps the most beautiful bike ever made...in my opinion.  These days, everything seems so angular ("reptilian" is how I heard someone describe it).
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »

driving fun (which I hope to find out later today)

When I did my test drive, I found that the most difficult thing was trying to wipe the silly grin off my face   ;D
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »

Well Guppie,les us know how testdriving went..?
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

I just came back from my test drive on the Zero SR. The dealer just received a new demo SR and still had to remove the plastic foils that guard the fender/tank/etc when the bike is transported. Brand new :-)
Find it a bit difficult to describe my conclusion of the drive, because there are quite a few contradictions…

Let me first try to sum up the good and the bad:

Good:
- acceleration (even though it’s not mind blowing)
- stability on the highway
- weight
- manoeuvrability (of course related to the weight)
- belt drive (I hate chains)
- ABS
- relaxing (no sound, very easy to drive)
- warranty on battery

Bad:
- price
- design
- brakes (compared to my K1300 at least)
- mirrors
- charging times
- no traction control/corner ABS/other fancy driving aids
- very simple dashboard
- no fairing

Simply put: for more-or-less 20k EUR you pay a premium price, but do not get a premium bike (personal opinion of course).
I understand that it’s a lot cheaper to ride (energy costs, less chances for things to break because the whole concept is so much simpler than with an ICE, less costs for braking pads because of the regenerative brakes, etc), but why isn’t it at least a futuristic looking bike? The Harley looked stunning (en though it’s a completely different cruising-style machine) and also felt like it had more torque.
The acceleration is really good, but seems to slow down pretty soon after you have opened up the throttle. Since this is ride-by-wire it could be that the software is limiting it for some reason. It also does not lift the front wheel, which is something I would expect with that amount of torque.
The brakes were ok, not nothing compared to the stopping power of my K1300. I think it will improve when the brakes have settled in (the bike was brand new), but I really doubt if it can match the brakes of my current bike after that period. Why didn’t they put some high spec Brembo’s on it?

So:
Did I like it: yes!
Was I blown away: no…

My problem is that I do not want to own two bikes. I want one bike that does it all: safe commuting, low maintenance, decent fuel consumption. I understand that the Zero has it all, but with some (serious) limitations. For me, my current bike still has a better overall score. And you can’t really use a Zero for vacation trips to the Alps, unless you plan it really well in advance and that you can live with the charging times.

As it currently stands, I don’t think that this Zero would make me trade in my K1300. But maybe with some improvements in 2017?

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »

The up-to-date photo is on the other thread now.  Yeah, I'm a big fan of those curvy 1960's.  Agostini's MV Agusta was perhaps the most beautiful bike ever made...in my opinion.  These days, everything seems so angular ("reptilian" is how I heard someone describe it).
Wow! That fairing looks stunning!
Compliments for taking such a gamble by ordering this non-OEM set from the internet, customising it and fitting it so neatly on your machine!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »

For what it's worth, the economics dictate that half the price is for the battery which has a long lifetime. So, it's a good $8k bike with a powertrain that will outlive it.

I'm keeping this in mind while I try to figure out my plans for my 2013 DS...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:03 AM »

For what it's worth, the economics dictate that half the price is for the battery which has a long lifetime. So, it's a good $8k bike with a powertrain that will outlive it.

I'm keeping this in mind while I try to figure out my plans for my 2013 DS...
Well that is an interesting angle :-)
That put's the SR price in another perspective. With the progress that is being made in battery technology, I think that the battery is outdated faster than the rest of the SR hardware (chassis, etc.). Maybe Zero should be considering more premium base hardware with an option to upgrade the batteries at a reasonable price. Batteries can easily have a second life in houses for instance where they can be used for storing solar energy.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »

For what it's worth, I was commuting 32 miles each way on my 2016 Zero S for months. I'd regularly have 35%+ left when I got home, which puts me roughly at [tap tap tap] 102 km = 65% of the charge capacity for 13 kwH battery.

Previously, I rode a 900+ lbs. cruiser. Which was nice and all, but a hard look at my motorcycle use made me realize that I commute on my motorcycle and not much else. I saw no reason to upgrade my bike to another monstrosity because the wife agreed to get on the back twice per year. In the meantime, I was heaving a huge motorcycle around a parking lot.

I believe we shop for vehicles by the edge cases. We buy huge trucks because twice per year, we haul something to the lake & back. Or we buy a huge 4-door saloon because we drive the coworkers to lunch once per month. Or we might want to store 3 bodies in the trunk. Whatever. 90% of the time, we just go to work and back and maybe run an errand on the way home.

I do love my Zero S. It's unlike any other ride out there. I liked Project Livewire when I saw it, but Harley Davidson is four years away from being where Zero is now, albeit with better styling. My Zero has enough torque to keep me entertained, enough range to get me where I need to go and can break the speed limit when I ask of it. I goes when I turn the key and twist the throttle. I don't really need anything more.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »

...I don't really need anything more.

What about Pac-Man sound effects?  I'm thinking about a sound generator that makes the chomp chomp noise at low speeds and plays the theme song at "idle".

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 08:16:34 AM »

Well dammit... I didn't think I needed anything more. I stand corrected.  ;)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4