• March 29, 2024, 09:28:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thinking to buy an FXS, but in doubts  (Read 3114 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking to buy an FXS, but in doubts
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »

Electric vehicles are not better for environment, and they pollute more than a gas ones.

This is a pure BS statement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084440_does-the-tesla-model-s-electric-car-pollute-more-than-an-suv

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/21/tesla-pollute-more-hong-kong-than-gas-cars/

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

Etc,etc,etc. I don't care about gas savings by electric vehicles.  It's all hype to up the sales. I'm not considering to buy an electric bike because I'll save on gas.

Did you even read the articles you linked to or did you just read the headline?!?!  The very first article you linked to DISPUTES the idea that EV's pollute more than an ICE, it doesn't corroborate it.  ::)  All three are based on the same BS analysis that doesn't take into account several key factors and the motivation of the author of that BS analysis is in obvious question.  It's ridiculous that anyone would try to promote oil/gas/coal by pointing out that oil/gas/coal are dirty. EV's get cleaner as the grid gets cleaner.  An ICE gets dirtier with every mile driven.  The fossil fuel industry is using the same tactics that were used by the tobacco industry.

If you don't want to buy a Zero or any other EV then don't....but the idea that "Electric vehicles are not better for environment, and they pollute more than a gas ones." is BS just like I said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkh5nnMac7U

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »

on the otherhand... I suppose ANYTHING could pollute if you try hard enough...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/a-malfunctioning-flaming-wind-turbine-is-actually-quit-1784760987

Pollution or not that just looks cool  8) haha
2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »

I can only surmise that Progressive Insurance believes that an electric motorcycle has a higher possibility of causing property damage than does a large, fast and heavy IC motorcycle.  If that is the case, I wonder how they arrived at that conclusion?   ???

Insurance is strange from the perspective of the end users because its based of math and trends that you cant see the data for.

Its not that your bike will cause higher property damage, is that its more likely they have to payout more for a claim.  Given the low volume of the bikes, It would only take a couple  expensive battery replacements to make insurance higher.
that doesnt include any bike-caused fires, exotic accidents and other strange things that may have happened.

Bike insurance is strange in that they tend to use only new OEM parts for liability reasons, and everything is pre-painted from the factory... meaning that if you have a scratch on an engine cover they buy a new cover.... in the case of a zero, a dent or scratch in the monolith from a small accident could be a multi-thousand dollar claim for monolith replacement.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

But in my case, I don't have crash or comprehensive protection, just third-party liability insurance.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »

So I've already committed to begin avoiding petroleum as a transportation energy source. Sounds weak but it is a big course change.

I dabbled in BioDiesel but the diesel motorcycle market has a hard time passing environmental restrictions. (and now even regular diesel is becoming a tapestry of lies)

What then is the best motorcycle choice?
A Zero Motorcycle.  That is why I bought one.

If a Zero is too expensive, then it is too expensive for you to buy - so this is an important hurdle to clear.
(I don't always make the most frugal decisions, so I am not driven to recoup costs or limit every decision I make by the long term financial payout.)

I do not foresee selling my Zero, your worries of a lower resale value may mean cheaper long term insurance.
I still have the motorcycle I bought 30 years ago. So I expect to have my Zero 30 years from now as it is my established trend.

Consideration for the environment isn't really just the refuge of the environmentalists.
In the US most common pollutants have been falling for decades.
This is not because environmentalists made independent purchasing choices in denial of their environmental concerns.
It is through additional pollution controls on automotive vehicles which everyone is buying and only a few are bypassing for performance, or spite.
Being kind to the environment was a successful national endeavor for the major pollutants of the time.
it just needs to go further than combustion can take us.

The campaign to vilify the basic ideals of environmentalism (seen here and elsewhere) is one of the reasons why - whenever I do burn gasoline, I make unreasonable efforts to be sure none of it comes from the Exxon-Mobile Supply chain. The only reason Exxon is not being charged for this well documented deception scheme is the statute of limitations for fraud is just 7 years. And their campaign is now carried willingly by others and unwilling by certain posters. I missed sanctioning them for the Tetraethyl Lead poisoning of millions.

(That flaming windmill - the petroleum lubricants are most of what would burn)

I avoid BP. Because of the spill. No not Deepwater Horizon, but Prudhoe Bay in 2006. Coupled with very active price fixing schemes and scandals the executives at BP can count me out as a patron. Anyone smart enough to drop them after Exxon Valdez, I apologize for waiting for strike two.  If you still pull into the BP pumps and your retirement isn't dependent on the British Stock Market, research where your dollars go and what they are used for and you should reconsider.

And the list goes on.... (oh yeah as a landowner at risk of losing my clean groundwater I'm suing a too close pipeline company bent on expansion to comply with insurance requirements - so I'm no friend of theirs either)

There are then so many Petroleum Companies one should not in good conscious patronize - switching to EV is at least a relief of options. Yes, now I'm stuck with one megalomaniac generally incapable of price fixing thanks to monopoly status corporation (actually worse its a Co-op). At least they delivering 50% renewable power to my house over a wire, it should make it to 100% renewable in the next few years as more sources come on line. If I decide I can't wait - I'll go solar myself.

yugi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »

I finally bought a new 2016 KTM Duke 390 for $5200 OTD. Zero - may be next time. I'll monitor prices closely.
current: 2007 BMW R1200S, 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150
past: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2004 BMW R1100S, 2004 BMW R1150RT-P, 2003 Buell XB9SL, 2006 Buell Blast, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2014 Honda Grom

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 02:23:09 AM »

bad choice, the FXS is faster off the line and a lot more fun to ride.. if you can afford it.

yugi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »

bad choice, the FXS is faster off the line and a lot more fun to ride.. if you can afford it.
I can afford it, but not with these kind of specs and price. FXS 3.3 is faster than Duke by a whopping 0.5 seconds 0-60 mph. But it also costs around $2600 more even after all the incentives, and the range is around 100+ miles shorter. Zero is just not there yet. Maybe next time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:24:28 AM by yugi »
current: 2007 BMW R1200S, 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150
past: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2004 BMW R1100S, 2004 BMW R1150RT-P, 2003 Buell XB9SL, 2006 Buell Blast, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2014 Honda Grom
Pages: 1 2 [3]