• March 29, 2024, 02:29:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My very first Motorcycle ride in the rain. Not so good.  (Read 867 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
My very first Motorcycle ride in the rain. Not so good.
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

So Georgia in the summer might rain at any time I know this.  I see the sky is starting to get dark really early.  Ok time to head back to the house.  Black clouds to my back and pink sunset in front good deal. 
Oh yeah that turn.
Black clouds in front and big drops hitting my helmet.
Now the bike never got slick, I was slowing down to about 40 on back roads with one van behind me no big deal they were backing off being cool about it.
But everything was starting to fog up.  Helmet and glasses so where is a roof?
Gas section of Sam's Club good deal.
I pull in and then mess up.  I turn off the key.
Blinky city.  2013 DS liked the rain same as me, not at all.
Key on off on off no good and I'm trying to remember if I can reset the BMS and fix it, well the plastic vent piece covers the lower rubber cover on a 2013 so I couldn't get to it any way.
Called dad we go to get my truck and hitch hauler and when we get back the blinking has stopped but still got a warning code when I turned it on but it rolled so up in the hauler it went.  By the time i got home it turned on and rolled off just fine. 
Now I'm wondering where the water got in at?  Battery box or dash cluster or somewhere else?
If yall know where I need to seal just let me know.
I stress out way too much when this thing isn't right, it's like crack or something.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
My very first Motorcycle ride in the rain. Not so good.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »

Probably the pins in the aux power port above the motor. 2013 models don't come with a rubber boot protecting that plug and the battery might have opened the contactor thinking there was a short.

That said, my 13DS faired well year round in rainy Seattle. You could apply electrical insulating grease to entry points for the water, particularly the BMS where you checked.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:46:37 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: My very first Motorcycle ride in the rain. Not so good.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »

Do the logs show anything?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »

I haven't set the app back up since I got the battery replaced.  Might do it later.
So this is what I saw last night.
When I first turned off the bike the "charge" green light was blinking
When I turned it back on the warning light was blinking in what looked like the double 5 blink misc. warning, and it showed no battery bars and the gas pump icon was blinking.
The BMS seemed to show full 1sec. flash normal operation.
As for the connector for the Delta Q charger by the motor mine does have a cover but could have failed with heavy splash up I guess.
The black plastic Vent at the bottom of the battery pack has some plastic rivets in it, any way to remove them with out snapping them?
As always guys thank for your help.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »

You can find help on plastic rivet removal by googling, but the short version is that pushing the center pin in with a small tool (preferably non-scratching like a ball-point pen) will unlock it so you can pull each one out.

Re-inserting later involves reseting the pin to be above the rivet and then pushing the pin in once the rivet is placed back in the fairing hole.

It takes a bit of practice but this is easy with the right tool. It's also good to buy spares in case you wear them out, which does happen.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]