• April 20, 2024, 10:10:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dropped Bike - replacement parts?  (Read 2599 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Dropped Bike - replacement parts?
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »

My daughter backed our car into my SR's front tire, tipping it over on its right side. Front brake lever is bent forward in a J shape (still works). It will need to be replaced, though it seems just fine to operate with two fingers. The right foot peg was stuck up, but when I pushed it, it came right back down and seems fine. The foot brake lever was apparently pushed inwards when the bike fell over it and it scratched the frame next to where its tip is - seems fine otherwise. The plastic handlebar end cap is smashed in and deformed, will need to be replaced. The edge of the  white plastic at the end of the  throttle is chipped, but the throttle seems to rotate fine. There is a barely visible scuff on the bottom outside edge of the plastic covering the battery. And the mirror housing is scratched some. I did not see any other damages.

So looks like a new brake lever and a new end cap is what I need...

Darn it! I'm still mad at my daughter for not looking back - the car's got a backup camera and the bike should have been clearly visible in the side mirror too...   

Any thoughts - should I get OEM brake lever or use the opportunity to replace with something else?
'15 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Dropped Bike - replacement parts?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »

I would really like to find a better brake lever that fits the Zero. I haven't seen anyone with one, or if they have, it hasn't been described well enough to document. And the few I've tried to "eyeball match" didn't seem like the right fit.

I really like the ASV levers I installed on my V-Strom; for the most part that came down to clutch control, but the brake lever is just easier to operate now.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:45:33 AM »

I'm not sure about the brake lever...I have thought about a short lever but to be honest I can't really find fault with the stock lever to mess with it...but in your case since it's already bent it's certainly worth checking on possible upgrades.

I would definitely get some aftermarket bar ends.  Prior to 2015 the Zero bikes didn't even have bar ends...you had to change your grips and then buy some aftermarket ones.  In 2015 they started to come with bar ends but they are cheap plugs that just push in to the end of the bar and pop right out when the bike goes down.  I would definitely get some quality metal bar ends that will stay in and actually hold up in a fall without just popping out.
2014 Zero S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »

See: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Front_brake_lever

and perhaps if you're thinking about getting hand guards:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Handguards

And... while we're at it...  any suggestions for a hi-viz weather cover that fits the DSR?    I was guessing maybe:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QDC6GRK  Dowco 04822 Guardian Hi-Viz Motorcycle Cover (Medium size) $40

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 04:58:20 PM »

My FX tipped over due to high winds with cover on. It was parked next to a railing so luckily the only damage was a tweaked front brake lever. I ordered a new one straightaway after searching for an alternative but nothing else was compatible. I figured I could straighten it but didn't want to risk busting it and not being able to ride. My dealer always gets parts in 1 week. Most parts are very reasonably priced but that lever was $55 or so with my discount! Once it came I removed the bent one, put it on the work bench, and gently pounded it back into shape with a deadblow hammer. Greased the pivot and reinstalled. At least I've got a spare now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:56:56 PM by Say10 15FX 16FXS »

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »

My daughter backed out right into my truck. It too was impossible not to see.  Wife did something similar as well. Apparently they don't teach women to look in the rearview or mirrors.  Please keep us up to speed on what you use to fix it.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »

The stock bar ends are a load of old arse. These are the business and don't stick out if your into lane splitting, or ride trails etc.

http://www.motosport.com/msr-billet-bar-ends

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

The bent brake lever will break, if attempted to straighten it, as others have also reported. The end of it just broke off. The good news is that I have enough of it left that it seems like I might not even need to replace it. It is almost a perfect "shorty" lever now. But maybe I'll have it replaced anyway.

The handlebar guards I am a bit confused about. Why would I want a rigid metal guard there? OK, if I wipe-out at speed, I suppose it might save my handlebars ends, but it would also transfer the impact rather than absorb it. Wouldn't it be better to have a metal guard to protect the end of the handlebars that also has a shock-absorbing sacrificial plastic or rubber end? The plastic guard on he Zero I think did exactly what it was supposed to do in my situation - when my bike fell, it deformed and needs to be replaced, but it protected the handlebar and I guess absorbed the impact and not transferred it to and through the handlebars to other areas of the bike. It stayed put in my case and did a good job, but I agree it will not do anything if this was a sliding accident - it'd just come right off or shear the protective end off very easy. That's why I'm thinking a combination: a soft tip/bumper for if I bump into something (like it would protect my car's finish and garage door if I bump into it maneuvering the bike in my garage) or if I drop the bike stationary. And a sturdier metal piece behind the bumper to protect the handlebars in case of a moving wipeout...
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »

Update: rode the bike for about 40 miles today to do some errands. The "shorty" front brake seems fine, but the foot brake lever has been apparently bent inwards and it does not fit under my foot as it should. I'll have to replace that most likely, if it is aluminum, as bending it back into shape might weaken it.
'15 Zero SR

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

Similar story for me except it was my 18 year-old son. He hopped on the bike a couple of days ago and tried to coast down the driveway and just as I was yelling at him not to do it, he dropped it. ("Gee Dad, it's heavier than I thought"). Needless to say, I was a little ticked off as it was the first time that it had been dropped. It bent the brake lever back and I can confirm that it will break if you try to straighten it - very brittle. I was also left with a functional shorty but I didn't like the look of it so I made my own extension out of a carbon fiber tube with a bicycle handlebar end plug to finish it. I think I like it better than the stock lever. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

RoarG66

• Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:33:34 PM by RoarG66 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »

If you have to ask on an Internet forum whether a brake lever fits, the answer is "no". Brake levers are typically cast to a specific mount geometry.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]