• March 28, 2024, 07:09:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: My Diginow has arrived!  (Read 10140 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
My Diginow has arrived!
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:45:17 PM »

Here's my Diginow charger, fresh out of the box. The boyz said it's okay with them if I document the process here, so I'm going to do that. If anybody wants to re-post on the Facebook site, have at it. I don't do sociable media myself.

The input cabling is on the left; it consists of a J1772 connector, a fairly long cable with a protective shroud (which apparently has an embedded pilot signal generator in it), and a high-power Anderson connector and a ground lug at the other end, for connection to the charger and (presumably) a frame bolt. The J1772 isn't going to be very friendly with the Zero charge tank housing, so I'm going to have to get a little creative there...but it should be doable. I'm an EE, not a mechanical guy, but I'm not completely incompetent with the mechanical stuff. I'd prefer a shorter cable, but I'm not going to shorten it. I don't have the crimper for these giant crimp terminals, and I'd much rather rely on the crimp connections Diginow made. They obviously made the cable a bit longer so there's some mounting flexibility for things...people putting their chargers in different locations will appreciate that.

The output cabling is pretty simple; a high-power Anderson connector and a smaller waterproof connector connect to the charger output and the control module, respectively, on the input side. The signal wires are clearly intended to interface with the MBB on the bike to throw the main contactor for the charging cycle. On the output end, the standard Anderson connector will be plugged into the Zero external charge connector, but to allow for snaking the cable through the frame to get there, the connector crimp terminals haven't been installed into the housing. The individual wires will be routed where they need to run, then the terminals installed into the housing before plugging into the Zero connector. The one marking I can see is pretty smudged, but the high-power cabling seems to be 6 AWG silicone wiring, both on the input and output sides of the charger. Nice.

There wasn't any mounting hardware included, however, and I'm waiting for the guys to respond to my email about that. We discussed the mounting hardware, so I'm sure there was supposed to be some included. I have all sorts of ideas running through my head for mounting the controller, but I want to do it the way the Diginow guys intended.

Also not in the box were the 14-50 and CHAdeMO adapters I ordered. I'd be surprised if the CHAdeMO adapter even exists yet, so I'm not concerned about that, but I do plan on using the 14-50 a lot, perhaps more than the J1772. I know that adapter exists because they showed it to me. I'll want that soon.

I'm eager to get working on it, but I want to wait to clear up the mounting issue first. As much as I want it done fast, I'm even more determined to get it done right.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: My Diginow has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »

Here's my Diginow charger, fresh out of the box.

I admit I'm jealous but Brandon sent me an email last night asking about shipping so that combined with the fact that you have yours should mean that I just have a little bit longer to wait...patience grasshopper  ;D

If anybody wants to re-post on the Facebook site, have at it. I don't do sociable media myself.

I don't do Facebook either but... I hate to break it to you but you just posted to a social media site.  A social media site dedicated to like minded individuals with a common bond of electric motorcycles...but a social media site non the less.  I'm not on FB because I don't like many of their business practices but I also don't think it works as a site because of the fact that it doesn't have that common bond that a site like this one does.  I much prefer going to an Android website to talk to people about Android stuff and an electric motorcycle website to talk about electric motorcycle stuff.  But I digress...back to the electric motorcycle stuff!

The J1772 isn't going to be very friendly with the Zero charge tank housing, so I'm going to have to get a little creative there...but it should be doable. I'm an EE, not a mechanical guy, but I'm not completely incompetent with the mechanical stuff.

Hmmm...too bad.  The Charge Tank without the charger doesn't have the J-plug and the DigiNow isn't plug and play with the Charge Tank plastic.  Too bad but if it can be made to work I will still be interested to see your final solution.  I still haven't decided how I'm going to set mine up...if I want a permanent install or if I will put it in a top box and only bring it along for trips I think it will be used.

Also not in the box were the 14-50 and CHAdeMO adapters I ordered. I'd be surprised if the CHAdeMO adapter even exists yet, so I'm not concerned about that, but I do plan on using the 14-50 a lot, perhaps more than the J1772. I know that adapter exists because they showed it to me. I'll want that soon.

:( Too bad about the 14-50.  I'm sure they will get it to you ASAP.  I convinced my landlord to install a 14-50 in my garage so I am planning to use that a lot!

I didn't even know you could order the CHAdeMO yet.  I know they said from day 1 that it was planned but I didn't know they were taking orders.  I do want a CHAdeMO but I should be able to get by just fine without it just with the J-plug and 14-50 for a while.  I don't have any fast charging right now so this is going to be a huge upgrade already.  I was told they still need more testing to get the DC charging to work so I will wait until they get it working and they are shipping the adapters but then I will probably order one...If you are planning to do any touring (and I am) then having the flexibility to use as many different charge options as possible is a good thing.  To that end I would really like a CCS adapter too...eventually.
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:55 PM »

The 14-50 omission definitely seems like a momentary oversight.

Your description is very accurate. I don't know the current story about mounting hardware; I've tested a revision for the tank mount that works very simply but had issues with DS vs S plastics internal clearances.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:34:51 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »

Great to see! I'm told mine will be shipped around Aug 19th. Were there any written instructions you could share with us?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »

Were there any written instructions you could share with us?

So far no, no instructions. But Brandon also said he'd be sending me the app, so maybe he'll send that at the same time.

I'm looking at the housing trying to figure out how to to mount the J-plug, and it's not going to be trivial because the housing is curved in two dimensions. A flat plate isn't going to do it.

Looking at the underside of the housing, you can see that it's made of three pieces, staked together. It doesn't seem to me that it would be TOO difficult for some bright ME with the right resources to scan the center piece, modify it slightly to accommodate the connector Diginow is supplying, and stake it to the two stock side pieces. Seems like it would be cheaper than a whole new set of plastics.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »

Oh, that's interesting mount hardware!

FWIW I joined a centerpiece from some powertank plastics to my stock DSR plastics for the install. I documented the general idea on the wiki - basically use a soldering iron to de-weld the plastic around the lock washers, or carefully use a pair of pliers to twist until they break off.

This was very handy because they were iterating and testing a lot and it was handy to be able to pull the centerpiece off quickly to check everything without taking off the entire tank. I used it road-side.

I've sent you a copy of the documentation for your usage and review.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »

Thanks, Brian, I got it and it does explain a few things.

The stock charge tank housing is really a beautiful piece and I kinda hate taking an axe to it, especially a virgin piece that never did get used for its intended purpose. But if you want to make an omelet, you gotta crack a few eggs.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »

I hate dremeling plastic; it's soft and melts at a low temp, so you have to run the tool at high speed and advance it very slowly, or you'll turn everything into a gooey mess that jams the tool and stinks like hell. Then you have to trim everything with a sharp knife because it leaves hangers everywhere. At least it doesn't throw a bazillion microscopic chips like some materials do.

But that mounting boss for the Zero connector doesn't work with the Diginow-supplied connector, so it's going to have to go. I'll figure out how to replace it with a piece that works for the Diginow connector soon enough.

I think it turned out okay. This molding is quite thick around the pivot bolt, but it just takes a little longer through there.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

Congrats and good luck with the install!

Subscribe to Benswing on YouTube to follow my summer journeys.
Like Ben Rich - Electric Biker on Facebook.

First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Gimli1844

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »

I have invoice number 11 and I also believe I am the last one in the DigiNow list.  So it looks like I am going to have to wait until after August 19th to get my hands on my super charger.  At least I will be able to learn from everyone install experiences before hand.  When first ordered it I was not yet aware of this forum and I sill refuse to join Facebook.  So  for I while there I was thinking I spent a lot of money on Vaporware.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »

Sorry, wrong thread. Deleted post.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:55:18 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »

I hate dremeling plastic; it's soft and melts at a low temp, so you have to run the tool at high speed and advance it very slowly, or you'll turn everything into a gooey mess that jams the tool and stinks like hell. Then you have to trim everything with a sharp knife because it leaves hangers everywhere. At least it doesn't throw a bazillion microscopic chips like some materials do.

But that mounting boss for the Zero connector doesn't work with the Diginow-supplied connector, so it's going to have to go. I'll figure out how to replace it with a piece that works for the Diginow connector soon enough.

I think it turned out okay. This molding is quite thick around the pivot bolt, but it just takes a little longer through there.

i have "modified" countless pieces of moto plastic over the years. i use the large, metal cutting wheel on the dremel, then get out my pencil torch, and use it to smooth out the edges. if you are careful and plan your cuts well, you can make the edge look almost factory. only someone who knew the original would know that it had been modified. i highly recommend the torch or a heat gun if possible (ie- the plastic is off the bike or in some place where excessive heat isn't going to damage other parts on the bike). just start with low heat, work slowly, it will make that look a lot cleaner.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 03:21:51 AM »

i have "modified" countless pieces of moto plastic over the years. i use the large, metal cutting wheel on the dremel, then get out my pencil torch, and use it to smooth out the edges. if you are careful and plan your cuts well, you can make the edge look almost factory. only someone who knew the original would know that it had been modified. i highly recommend the torch or a heat gun if possible (ie- the plastic is off the bike or in some place where excessive heat isn't going to damage other parts on the bike). just start with low heat, work slowly, it will make that look a lot cleaner.

laters,

laramie  ;)
good tips, I use the heatgun and a propane torch to clean up the edges of plastic too.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »

After the busy weekend, time to get back to work!

I've fire-polished plastics, too, but it's not worth bothering with this time. It's all going to get covered up anyhow. Fire-polishing works on plain glass too, but not if it's been heat-treated or anything.

So when I was planning to roll my own charger, I bought TusconEV's J1772 box, which has a connector in a tiny little NEMA-approved box, with a pilot generating circuit and a momentary switch attached. I have no use for the box any longer, but I have plans for the plastic lid! The connector appears to be identical to the one supplied by Diginow, except for the name embossed on it, so I'm going to make a bracket out of it to mount the Diginow connector.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »

So I took the components off of the lid, trimmed it up, tacked it in place with hot glue, and fiberglassed over it. This is just the first application, to give it some strength so I can work on it harder. Tomorrow, when it's fully cured, I'll trim, fill the underside with bondo and glass it over, and do another layup over the top. Should be good to go then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9