• April 25, 2024, 11:05:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vibration between 15-30mph after rear tire replacement  (Read 1408 times)

evdjerome

• View Profile
Vibration between 15-30mph after rear tire replacement
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:03:48 AM »

I removed my 2015 DS rear wheel and brought it to the dealer for a tire replacement. New tire is a Shinko 705. Front is still stock Pirelli.

I put the wheel back on myself, did the belt tension procedure, and went for a ride. It now vibrates annoyingly between 15-30mph. No problem outside that range, although I haven't taken it up past 45 mph with the new tire.

So I adjusted the tension down a little, went for a ride again and it still vibrates in that speed range.

I assumed the dealer would've balanced as part of the fitment, but didn't confirm. When I gave them the wheel it had weights on it. I didn't pay attention to whether it had weights when I first got it back, but it doesn't now. Of course they might've replaced the weights with beads. I'll call tomorrow to ask.

Could this be a balance problem? I thought balance problems were more noticeable at higher speeds?

2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: Vibration between 15-30mph after rear tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:51 AM »

For me it was alignment that caused vibrations after a tire change.

The tire was centered but the belt tracking was too far to the left.

Ultimately I "safely" lifted the rear tire and engaged some throttle and adjusted alignment to track just right of the ridge on the rear "sprocket" and the bad vibrations went away.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »

Mine did the same thing, it may be riding too close to the lip on the rear pulley , just a turn on the drive side tension adjuster and recheck the belt, sometimes it takes several tries to get it to track right, then equally adjust both sides to get the tension right, I do it on a stand and use the rear brake to simulate load, I was typing this at the same time as ctrlburn
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:48:42 AM »

Thank you both! I'll try out your suggestions.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:31 AM »

If you suspect the tire isnt balanced, try taking the belt off it completely, and checking if it has a heavy spot.
are there weights on your wheel? if not, its not balanced.

Not every tire shop bothers to balance the wheels.

if you have access to a bead breaker, you could always break the bead, rotate it 180* and try again.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:36:27 AM »

I have found that you can check your wheel balance by removing the wheel and allowing it to spin on the axle, while you either hold the axle in your hands or mount it between two level supports, such as a couple of concrete blocks or something similar. Most wheel bearings have low enough friction to be able to act as wheel balancers.  If you spin the wheel and it stops at the same spot every time, you know that the wheel is unbalanced.  If it is, you can buy stick-on wheel weights from an auto or motorcycle accessory store (or online, of course) and use them to balance the wheel yourself. While a dedicated motorcycle wheel balancer (such as sold online) will work the best, the wheel spinning in its own bearings will work well enough for the speeds that Zeros travel at.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]