• March 29, 2024, 12:48:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bay Area people- monthly electric motorcycle meetup at Alice's [20 August]  (Read 1346 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

We had a meetup with Benswing Rich as he came through, and it was so much fun, we decided to do it every month.

Next one will be 20 August.

People coming from bay side, meet at Palo Alto Baking Company, kickstands up at 10 AM.   I'll be there early to at one of the six free Chargepoints nearby. 

People coming from ocean side, meet at Zero Motorcycles in Scotts Valley, kickstands up at 10 AM.

People coming from far away and needing a charge, charging is available at both meeting places, come early enough that you are fully charged by 10 AM. 

It is not limited to Zero owners, but this past time it was all Zeros, and all but one of us was on his second Zero.  And nobody laughed at my crazy yellow fairing.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• View Profile

This coming Saturday!  Don't miss it.

Last time we had Ben Rich, Brian T Rice, Terry Hershner, and two top Zero brass in attendance!  Even got some cool insight into how the Zero motor came to be (it was designed by a solar racer) and got a great group photo!  Last time it was all Zero owners, but maybe this time we'll have some others show?

f3flight

• View Profile

Will hopefully visit this event in October or November if it's still held and if all goes according to the plan in which I get myself and my ZEV LRC 10 to Bay Area. Looking forward :)

togo

• View Profile
Re: Bay Area people- monthly electric motorcycle meetup at Alice's [20 August]
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »

See you tomorrow?

togo

• View Profile

See you tomorrow?

No pre-meets this time. Just Alice's at 11. 

Will hopefully visit this event in October or November if it's still held and if all goes according to the plan in which I get myself and my ZEV LRC 10 to Bay Area. Looking forward :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Bay Area people- monthly electric motorcycle meetup at Alice's [20 August]
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »

I'll be there!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

f3flight

• View Profile

Hey folks, is the event dead? I've got my ZEV in Sunnyvale and curious to see other electric 2/3 wheelers, and maybe meet some good people! Let me know if there's still any event like this going.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile

Hey folks, is the event dead? I've got my ZEV in Sunnyvale and curious to see other electric 2/3 wheelers, and maybe meet some good people! Let me know if there's still any event like this going.

There's a meetup near Sunnyvale this weekend Saturday 29th April, see http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6778.0

I've heard some rumblings about Alice's some folks aren't too keen on the place at the moment. One of the key features to have for a meetup spot is EV charging access whilst people are gathered, which seems to be lacking at Alice's.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

There's a meetup near Sunnyvale this weekend Saturday 29th April, see http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6778.0

I've heard some rumblings about Alice's some folks aren't too keen on the place at the moment. One of the key features to have for a meetup spot is EV charging access whilst people are gathered, which seems to be lacking at Alice's.

Yes, we're definitely on for a ride from there to Zero HQ.

The situation with Alice's is that someone charging at their NEMA 14-50 plug (presumably us, and maybe me specifically but all of their stories have been too confusing to tell and we didn't trip any circuits or use more than 3-5kW at a time) overloaded their electrical system and cost them time and money recovering some very important systems on their circuits, which spooked them from allowing EV charging even from a 110V outlet.

So, we can't charge there until some sort of upgrade is worked out, and there's a lot of confusing crosstalk about whether they'll accept investment to upgrade.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile

Yes, we're definitely on for a ride from there to Zero HQ.

The situation with Alice's is that someone charging at their NEMA 14-50 plug (presumably us, and maybe me specifically but all of their stories have been too confusing to tell and we didn't trip any circuits or use more than 3-5kW at a time) overloaded their electrical system and cost them time and money recovering some very important systems on their circuits, which spooked them from allowing EV charging even from a 110V outlet.

So, we can't charge there until some sort of upgrade is worked out, and there's a lot of confusing crosstalk about whether they'll accept investment to upgrade.

I have talked to the restaurant owners, Brian, and that is about the size of it.  :(  It looks like trying to attract and accommodate electric vehicles of any type is no longer on their radar.

Plus, Alice's is so busy now that they are even cutting back on their evening hours because they can't get enough staff (and I suspect are getting kind of burned out) to run the place as many hours as their customers demand. They have even raised all of their prices during the weekends (they are lower on weekdays) apparently to either take advantage of the crowds - or to try to discourage them from visiting the place so often.  ::) 

I still go there every Sunday morning, just because I have been doing so for the past 40 years and when you reach my age you hate to make any changes in your routine.  ;)

Just a word of warning:  This Sunday is the Half Moon Bay Dream Machines Show at the airport north of the Pillar Point Harbor.  A great place to go if you want to see lots of planes, cars, motorcycles, military vehicles, old motorized equipment and tens of thousands of people.  But if you don't, stay away from the section of Highway 1 between HMB and Pacifica. The highway will be jammed.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile

At least you lucky mofo's get to lane split.  I hate you all.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Doug S

• View Profile

At least you lucky mofo's get to lane split.  I hate you all.

That's not much comfort to those of us who live in the Golden State but 500 miles away from the fun. I hate them all.

Lane-splitting is pretty cool, though. Maybe I'll go do it right now.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

togo

• View Profile

It's in the Motorcycle News section since it's not strictly Zero related.  You missed my comment about that : - )

And it's not at Alice's, it's at Rumble Fish, leave from Big Basin Cafe in Saratoga, kickstands up at 10 AM.

Come meet Electric Terry, and Charger, the electric dog. 
Pages: [1]