• April 24, 2024, 09:47:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charging Problem  (Read 5697 times)

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
Charging Problem
« on: July 19, 2016, 08:12:13 PM »

First time poster!

Quick question about my 2016 Zero SR. I bought the bike about two weeks ago and I love it! However, tonight when I plugged it in to charge (at 63%) it's not charging and I can't find any info about it in the owners manual. There are no error messages other than 44 and 45.

When I plug it in, the display goes through the start up procedure. It then displays the current battery life but the time left to charge reads 00:00 and the green charging light flashes about 10 times then stops.  The BMS has lights 1 & 2 illuminated for approx half a second then off for four seconds. I can't find anything in the user manual about that flash pattern (key is off and cable plugged in).

I left it like this to see if it would charge. I checked on it about 20 minutes later and the whole display was flashing all 8's and the warning light was continuously flashing. The BMS isn't flashing at all (still plugged in and keyed off).

Has anybody experienced something similar?  I emailed Zero but will call them this afternoon if I don't hear a response.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Charging Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »

I don't know about the 2016 models, but on my 2014 S, when the dash goes crazy like that, it apparently means that the charger failed a self-test and may not be feeling well.  That happened to me one time and I solved my problem by disconnecting the power cord and plugging it back in after a few minutes.  I haven't had a problem since.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »

I don't know about the 2016 models, but on my 2014 S, when the dash goes crazy like that, it apparently means that the charger failed a self-test and may not be feeling well.  That happened to me one time and I solved my problem by disconnecting the power cord and plugging it back in after a few minutes.  I haven't had a problem since.  ???

Yeah I tried that. I haven't tried resetting the BMS yet. The weird thing is that I can't find info on the display flashing. If it's capable of flashing in that manner, it means it was programmed to do so. Why not say why in the user manual?

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:29:01 AM »

Update:

When I got home today I drove it around the block and tried charging it. After plugging it in the display went through its start up. The battery is still at 63â„… and the time remaining to charge still says 0:00 but the green charging light is still flashing indicating it is charging. As I as standing by monitoring I heard a CLICK and the green charging light stopped flashing. 5 seconds later I heard another CLICK and the light began flashing again. I'm waiting to see if it will increases the charge by 1â„… before I try anything else. My next step is going to resetting the BMS.

dgwillim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »

Do you have a power tank? I ran into "everything on the dash flashing" charging error a few times early on. I have a 2016 SR w/PT.

Ended up being a combo of a few things - firmware, and the BMS getting used the main pack+power-tank.

Happened twice after the firmware upgrade, haven't had an issue for the last 5 months.

I usually leave it plugged in.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:11 AM »

I don't have any type of upgraded charging capabilities. Just the standard 110v outlet charger.

Update:

It started doing the crazy flashing thing again. I ended up taking it to my dealer. Well see what they find.

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:46 AM »

Here's a video of the flashing display

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »

I don't have any type of upgraded charging capabilities. Just the standard 110v outlet charger.

The power tank is the extra battery that goes in the tank area. The charge tank is the charging upgrade for the tank area. You have neither, right?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

The power tank is the extra battery that goes in the tank area. The charge tank is the charging upgrade for the tank area. You have neither, right?

Yeah, sorry.  I have neither.  Just the standard base model SR.

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:01:18 AM »

Update:

They diagnosed that the charger was bad.  Should have a new one installed and ready to ride by Tuesday.  All covered under warranty.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »

Yeah charger are a bit of a weak point on some Zeros, gladly they at least acknowledge the problem and don't make a big fuss about replacing them.

mrrshotshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 06:00:35 AM »

New charger was overnighted to my dealer. Bike was ready to go by Friday. Impressed with Zeros customer service. Glad they stand by their product. Shout out to Revolution Moto in Santa Rosa for a fast job diagnosing and repairing the problem. Hopefully it doesn't fail again!

avernon82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 11:08:31 PM »

I just started having some goofy problems with a '16. error codes 15 and 47 were popping up, not charging. Power cycled the bike, error codes went away. Tried riding and it was working fine at low speed. As soon as I twisted the throttle to accelerate, the power would cut with no error code. Turning the bike off and on reset, and bike was rideable again, but power would cut as soon as I twisted the throttle again.

Bike is going in tomorrow. I feel like a beta tester.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 03:59:31 AM »

I just started having some goofy problems with a '16. error codes 15 and 47 were popping up, not charging. Power cycled the bike, error codes went away. Tried riding and it was working fine at low speed. As soon as I twisted the throttle to accelerate, the power would cut with no error code. Turning the bike off and on reset, and bike was rideable again, but power would cut as soon as I twisted the throttle again.

Bike is going in tomorrow. I feel like a beta tester.
You're not a beta tester.... you're an early adopter.  When you're an early adopter, sometimes all the kinks haven't been worked out. It's a fact of life. It's not realistic to have every issue worked out prior to selling to the general public.  Eventually, every product needs to be released to the public where issues will be discovered that you never saw during testing because people use stuff in ways that you never imagined. It's a reality of engineering.

I would try to reset the BMS and see if that fixes your issue (press button under the rubber cap on front of battery for 3 secs).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »

Darn,

My replacement charger just died. I will drop off my 2015 SR Tuesday for "diagnosis" but we all know what the issue is. My first charger lasted 2426 miles, the second lasted 13,000 miles or about 400 charge cycles. If we want to be accurate the current charger is actually the third charger that has been in my bike; the first "replacement" charger did not work at the shop at the time of install. Bring on charger number 4!!!!

I was extremely disheartened to see that the 2016 models have the same issue. I would like to see the charger issues and limited charging power thoroughly addressed before I buy another Zero. I am thinking of getting a supercharger just so I avoid downtime but I would be getting it for the wrong reason and that would just be sad.

Overall I think the hassle the charger has caused is worth it because Zero motorcycles are pure magic.
Pages: [1] 2 3