• March 19, 2024, 02:42:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Grip size  (Read 1754 times)

c-fut

• View Profile
Grip size
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »

Hello all. I have a 2016 S and want to put on some fatter grips so I don't have to twist the throttle as much. Looking at the Progrip 719. Are the grip size the same as a sportbike? 7/8" and 1" inside diameter?
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Grip size
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »

You will still have to turn the angle the same, you will just have a little more leverage with a larger diameter grip. 

A throttle rocker is nice. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »

Here is another option for you:  http://www.advdesigns.com/orgrbuhacogr.html

It is what I have been using for the past 5 years on a couple of my IC motorcycles that vibrate a little more than I prefer.  Relatively cheap, easy to install and remove and they make the grips thicker and softer.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

c-fut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:49:38 AM »

Here is another option for you:  http://www.advdesigns.com/orgrbuhacogr.html

It is what I have been using for the past 5 years on a couple of my IC motorcycles that vibrate a little more than I prefer.  Relatively cheap, easy to install and remove and they make the grips thicker and softer.  :)

I looked at those but wasn't sure what size to get so I ended up taking the Progrips off of my gsxr since I haven't been riding it lately and putting them on the Zero. They fit and feel good.
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

schleppy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »

pro grip 737 have always been my favorite grip. big, soft, and sticky.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »

I've got these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPGQ828/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and couldn't be happier with them. They're a large diameter, which I like, the rubber cushions are very soft, but the billet portion gives them a lot of stiffness if you lean on them hard.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »

I've got these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPGQ828/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and couldn't be happier with them. They're a large diameter, which I like, the rubber cushions are very soft, but the billet portion gives them a lot of stiffness if you lean on them hard.
Would too-small grips be why my arm and hand are cramped and tingly at the end of even a half-hour ride? I don't think I am gripping too hard... The other possibility is that my gloves may be too tight/restrictive.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »

My money is on tight gloves.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:29 PM »

Would too-small grips be why my arm and hand are cramped and tingly at the end of even a half-hour ride? I don't think I am gripping too hard... The other possibility is that my gloves may be too tight/restrictive.

It's possible. If you're new to riding, it may just take a while for your body to adapt to long periods of a rather unique position. Other than that, I'd say if you're not comfortable when you get on the bike, it's going to be worse after riding for a while. If your gloves have been broken in and they feel too tight, they probably are, but remember that new leather will stretch a bit and conform to your hands as they break in. There's nothing better than a properly fit and broken-in set of gloves. That's why people never want to get new gloves.

As far as grips are concerned, you can always go the motorcycle store and just grab onto a bunch of grips and see which feel best to you. I prefer a larger diameter, and a fair amount of cushion, but I know some people prefer smaller diameter, harder grips.

Also, when you're riding, just visualize and think about where you're uncomfortable. Take one hand off the bar and hold it a little higher, or a little bit further back, see if maybe a different shape of handlebar might feel better for you. Uncurl your hands as if using a larger-diameter grip and see if that feels better. Swap bikes with somebody and see if it's more comfortable for you, and try to figure out why that is. You can get rear-sets for the footpegs, all different kind of handlebar shapes, grips, the Corbin seat is available for Zeros now, there's a lot of customization available. The trick is to figure out where your problem areas are without spending a ton of money trying all the different possibilities.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »

Most likely you're death squeezing the bars and you dont even realize it...  after that, maybe the gloves are wrong. Its unlikely to be the grips.

That said, my fav grips are Renthal G148...

The G149 are firmer and black.
the G148 are medium grips and I love them. They only come in gray.
the G147 are super soft and squishy, but you will wear the diamond surface off after a couple thousand miles. too soft for me, but some people love them.

heres a link, but you have to select the firmness.. default is hard G149s
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BOV6E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: note these are THINNER than stock, not thicker. But I like them so much I had to share.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:28:09 AM by MrDude_1 »

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts on the digression. My money is on too tight gloves too, fwiw. Should do some shopping!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 01:29:05 AM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]