• April 25, 2024, 11:07:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BMW C1-E Electric Enclosed Scooter  (Read 1782 times)

mKlRivPwner

• View Profile
BMW C1-E Electric Enclosed Scooter
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

BMW reinvisions their 2000-'02 C1 enclosed scooter (gas) with a one-off Lithium-Ion powered concept, the C1-E.  The BMW features compnents similar to the Vectrix's VX-1, which reaches 50mph in 6.8 seconds, has a range of 35-55 miles and a top speed of 62mph.

Supposedly offering "carlike safety on a single track bike, ...the rider [does] not need a helmet to ride it safely."  Most nations would be hard pressed to make exceptions to their safety laws.  This is what led to dismal sales and the very abrupt end to the C1 in the first place.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=158967

Looks kinda silly if you ask me.  Way too much frontal area to make those specs, it seems.  And a windy day would be a B*.

mpipes

• View Profile
Re: BMW C1-E Electric Enclosed Scooter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:41:42 AM »

Anyone else think being strapped into a 2 wheel vehicle is a major safety issue?

Sure, you're not gonna pop off of it unexpectedly but that one time when you *need* to ditch the bike and bail off, you can't.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »

I would prefer to be in that for a head on collision... I think. I hope my arms did not land under that chrome side bar when it fell over. You gotta think at any collision over 10 mph your gonna ragdoll. You can't really take evasive manuvers once the impact happens.

The more i think about it the more I would rather have anything between me and whatever I hit. Thinking back to two friends who have been in major bike accidents they would have been much better off strapped to that seat.

I can think of one other guy who is better off having slid away since his bike hit a support wire for a telephone pole and he slid away. More luck than anything.

In all three cases riding smart would have avoided the accident all together. Ride safe! :D

Side winds have can't be fun.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:11:18 AM by skadamo »

gogreenmoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »

The aesthetics don't do much for me, but it is an interesting idea. Seems like it would be much more newbie friendly/approachable.

"Supposedly offering "carlike safety on a single track bike, ...the rider [does] not need a helmet to ride it safely."  Most nations would be hard pressed to make exceptions to their safety laws.  This is what led to dismal sales and the very abrupt end to the C1 in the first place."

Agreed! Seems like a subjective matter at this point. Maybe tests will prove otherwise. Until then, I have a hard time understanding how the belt/no helmet wouldn't be a safety issue!
Pages: [1]