• April 25, 2024, 11:15:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fuse panel defect  (Read 1024 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Fuse panel defect
« on: July 11, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »

This is a minor note, something I fixed myself but was very confused about for months. My accessory 12V power circuit has been mostly not working since I bought the DSR in January. (This made using GPS on all day rides to locate charging stations rather troublesome.)

The troubleshooting has been very confusing and I've been doing it myself to familiarize myself with the wiring since my backup Zero is still being serviced.

Anyway, after a lot of double takes as I traced out the entire circuit and learned what Burton put together in a more physical way, it dawned on me that there was an assembly defect: the accessory port fuse and wiring was swapped with the headlight fuse and wiring right next to it! I double checked my initial inspection photos after I bought the DSR to make sure I hadn't introduced the problem. (A fuse had blown in the swapped position, whether from troubleshooting or before I ever touched the circuit.)

In any case, here's a photo of the mistaken assembly:

And here it is corrected. Note how much more robust the accessory wiring is than the headlamp.

I've raised my accessory fuse rating from 10A to 15A to support a second port where I can run USB ports and also use a tire pump. I made a hole in the Power Tank plastics to support this and running a charge into a tank bag.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:35:18 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Fuse panel defect
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:13:19 AM »

I found this interesting. There's an unknown problem on my 2016 DSR that the display/runlight fuse pops immediately when ignition switch is on; I have no backlight for display and the runlights do not work (brake lights still work - different circuit). Based on your photos I thought I'd give it a try and see about disconnecting the display and run lights and try with a fresh fuse; the new fuse pops so the problem is not necessarily the runlights or display module.

Guess I've got a date with the dealership first thing tomorrow and have this done under warranty.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »

That sounds like a short for sure, though. Maybe the wiring in the front left run in the tank area wasn't assembled or insulated right.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:37:14 PM by BrianTRice »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »

I'll fix the photos soon to clarify the fixed arrangement.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:17:29 PM »

I found this interesting. There's an unknown problem on my 2016 DSR that the display/runlight fuse pops immediately when ignition switch is on; I have no backlight for display and the runlights do not work (brake lights still work - different circuit). Based on your photos I thought I'd give it a try and see about disconnecting the display and run lights and try with a fresh fuse; the new fuse pops so the problem is not necessarily the runlights or display module.

Guess I've got a date with the dealership first thing tomorrow and have this done under warranty.

I had this problem, and believe it or not, it was a short on the tail-light wires under the seat.  Mice had set up a nest right over the tail-light and chewed through the insulation.  I have no idea how the little buggers managed to get in there.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 04:31:57 AM »

That sounds like a short for sure, though. Maybe the wiring in the front left run in the tank area wasn't assembled or insulated right.

Thanks to your post I'm at least able to check it's not assembly error with the fusebox.  Bike is in the shop, technician diagnosing it says run lights in tail light module are burned out, wiring harness is probably okay though, and next area to diagnose is a control module.

Shop manager Garret Chissie did right and lent me a Zero S. I'll resist temptation to pull the seat apart and look at its fusebox... for now ;-)

*update 2016-07-15*
I had this problem, and believe it or not, it was a short on the tail-light wires under the seat.  Mice had set up a nest right over the tail-light and chewed through the insulation.  I have no idea how the little buggers managed to get in there.

Steve

Over the phone I've been told the problem is a short in the tail-light wires. This is being attributed to a "tip-over", and then further agitation when riding on rough roads. Was there an actual nest?  Maybe this assembly could be better armored... I haven't seen yet the exact problem area or repair. Will have a better view tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:18:42 AM by Shadow »

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »

Yes, I had an actual nest in there (insulation from my '90 Miata included in the nest materials, it sits next to the bike).  Seems the insulation is made from soy based products and mice love it. 

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Pages: [1]