• April 27, 2024, 10:30:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why can't Zero install power tank when they are building my bike?  (Read 1480 times)

dukecola

• View Profile

So, I ordered my bike last week, the dealer says that the PT has to be installed by them, zero wont do it at the factory.  That seems odd.  Not only that it's going to cost me $200 in labor and I have to dish out $250 in CT sales tax because it's an accessory, not part of the bike. Really?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Why can't Zero install power tank when they are building my bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:47 AM »

Thats not uncommon. There are more dealer installed options in cars and bikes than you would think.
Simple unrelated example is my wifes car. Its a limited edition Series Blue BRZ.. it has ground effects, undercar airflow panels, spoiler and diffuser, and different rims.
every one of those items are dealer installed, even though they're not options for the series blue, and all advertisements have them installed.  (they also lower the drag of the car significantly at speed. it gets awesome MPG)

GM in the past has had some really crazy dealer installed parts too.

after learning all about that, im not surprised that zero would rather build the same bike for everyone, and then have the dealer do the options.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »

I used to work at a small shop (I'm a licensed mechanic) that was well known in the area for a/c and emissions repairs, the local Honda and Toyota dealers used to have us install air conditioning units for them when they were too busy, the whole kit came in a box and was simply plug and play, so yes every manufacturer probably does this in one way or another
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 06:12:09 AM »

I understand things like windscreens, etc, but the battery. They are building the bike and they can't add the power tank when building?  That's like ordering a V-8 truck and they send it to the dealer with a V-6 and have the dealer put the V-8 in it. Ridiculous.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »

That's like ordering a V-8 truck and they send it to the dealer with a V-6 and have the dealer put the V-8 in it.

Nope. When you get hands-on with the bike you can see that area is clearly designed for an accessory to be mounted, either the Power Tank or Charge Tank. Some of the tools involved are a little weird, like an ultra-stubby PH2 and an extra skinny long shaft PH2. Most of it is a long shaft 3mm hex driver. I think I did need a 7mm socket too.

Anyway these are all basic tools the dealership will have. I agree it's not intuitive that Zero would ship the Power Tank as an added accessory when it could save on shipping and dealership costs to build the bike with one already installed. That's just how it is though. In the USA you'll need the Power Tank as a separate invoice to take advantage of the charging accessory tax credit (30% up to $1000).

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

I understand things like windscreens, etc, but the battery. They are building the bike and they can't add the power tank when building?  That's like ordering a V-8 truck and they send it to the dealer with a V-6 and have the dealer put the V-8 in it. Ridiculous.
They wont swap the v6 for the v8 for emissions reasons, but they have swapped axles, transmissions (auto to manual) added AC systems, changed radio units, etc...

And thats not counting non-factory dealer specials like putting in different seats, pinstriping, etc.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:59 AM »

That's like ordering a V-8 truck and they send it to the dealer with a V-6 and have the dealer put the V-8 in it.

In the USA you'll need the Power Tank as a separate invoice to take advantage of the charging accessory tax credit (30% up to $1000).

I think I already maxed out the tax credit when I bought a Diginow. :-)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:02:42 AM »

In the USA you'll need the Power Tank as a separate invoice to take advantage of the charging accessory tax credit (30% up to $1000).

If you have a Diginow, then you dont need the Power Tank.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:25:31 AM »

Power Tank + DigiNow Supercharger has advantages I don't need (quicker 1C charge rate, longer pack service life, a few more miles between charges at highway speeds), and disadvantages I don't want (weight, cost, mounting options).

On the DSR all that weight is going up top and it's tricky enough for me (5'10" 180lbs rider) to manage on just the stock bike. I think a Power Tank + Diginow Supercharger combo makes a lot of sense on the S/SR, which is low enough I wouldn't freak out about another 100lbs running weight to gain a lot more miles per day in long distance riding.

What you need is up to you.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 05:47:53 AM »

Nope. When you get hands-on with the bike you can see that area is clearly designed for an accessory to be mounted, either the Power Tank or Charge Tank. Some of the tools involved are a little weird, like an ultra-stubby PH2 and an extra skinny long shaft PH2. Most of it is a long shaft 3mm hex driver. I think I did need a 7mm socket too.

Anyway these are all basic tools the dealership will have. I agree it's not intuitive that Zero would ship the Power Tank as an added accessory when it could save on shipping and dealership costs to build the bike with one already installed. That's just how it is though. In the USA you'll need the Power Tank as a separate invoice to take advantage of the charging accessory tax credit (30% up to $1000).
The power tank does not get 30% rebate...it does qualify for the 10% rebate if you buy it with the bike.

The charge tank qualifies for the 30% rebate and in order to avoid muddy water Zero recommends putting the charge tank (and install cost) on a separate invoice.

The DigiNow also qualifies for the 30% rebate.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:25 AM »

I agree that under most circumstances I would rather have faster charging than a little extra range.... except...

It depends on the type of riding you are trying to do. Some parts of USA the charging infrastructure is not that great (sucks big time) and you might need the little extra range.

I'm sure @benswing can attest to this.

2014 Zero S

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:53:03 AM »

I agree that under most circumstances I would rather have faster charging than a little extra range.... except...

It depends on the type of riding you are trying to do. Some parts of USA the charging infrastructure is not that great (sucks big time) and you might need the little extra range.

I'm sure @benswing can attest to this.

There are many variables.  I like to go on day trips with friends, who BTW have ICE bikes.  I think it would be rude to expect them to pull into a Niissan dealer and wait on me while I grab a charge.  The SR with PT will prob meet most of my day trip distances.  If the extra range let's me get to destination and back without a charge, then perfect.  When I'm traveling solo, pulling into a campground or Chargepoint doesn't inconvenience anyone.  As for tax credit, I put the PT on bike invoice, I'll at least get the 10% on that, and I'll get the 30% (up to $1000) on the Diginow.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:13:14 PM by dukecola »

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »

As for tax credit, I put the CT on bike invoice, I'll at least get the 10% on that, and I'll get the 30% (up to $1000) on the Diginow.

I was confused....but I think? I get it now...

So you don't have the extra battery (power tank) you have the charge tank and you are also getting a DigiNow charger....so your plan is to be able to use both at stops that have dual J1772 like the way @benswing is using the DigiNow plus Elcon?
2014 Zero S

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 01:13:46 PM »

Just skimmed this while charging.  I like the idea of a charge tank + DigiNow supercharger.  Fast charging at the many dual J1772 locations.  Although you can only get 6.6 from many dual charger stations as I am learning in Oregon.

Subscribe to Benswing on YouTube to follow my summer journeys.
Like Ben Rich - Electric Biker on Facebook.

First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »

The better ( Newer? ) ChargePoint chargers will let you use both sides at full power. Several of them around Vegas give me a 7kw continuous chart  ( While charging my Focus Electric ) using the Chargepoint app.
You can check PlugShare reviews for your next stop to see what people have said about stations. There are a lot here that do split the total output though. Another option if in a cluster would be to use two
adjacent chargers if they aren't already in use. The government center here has 5 or 6 within a few parking spaces, and, NV energy has about a dozen at their Sahara location. I can't imagine that Las Vegas
is on the Bleeding edge for charging, so, I am guessing that you will find many similar during your travels.
Pages: [1] 2