• March 29, 2024, 06:11:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Range experimentation  (Read 5943 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Range experimentation
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:25:01 AM »

Just came back from doing a mixture of my favorite twisties and some highway for a total of 70 miles.  Plugged it back in with 28% charge remaining and (supposedly) another 30 miles of range.  Didn't do a **** thing to conserve power either (other than rely on the regenerative braking where I could).  2016 Zero S with the 13 kWh battery and no power tank.  Not bad at all!  I think Zero was conservative with their range estimates.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MajorMajor

• View Profile
Re: Range experimentation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »

I feel the range estimates on the FXS are pretty much spot on.

It's possible you were averaging slower than what the estimates are derived from.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »

Just came back from doing a mixture of my favorite twisties and some highway for a total of 70 miles.  Plugged it back in with 28% charge remaining and (supposedly) another 30 miles of range.  Didn't do a **** thing to conserve power either (other than rely on the regenerative braking where I could).  2016 Zero S with the 13 kWh battery and no power tank.  Not bad at all!  I think Zero was conservative with their range estimates.  :)

Their range estimates are spot on .. for their exact test conditions.

They claim 108 miles of range for the 2013 S with a "combined" city / highway riding cycle.
- 50% (54 miles) highway test, at constant 70 mph .. using 2/3 of the battery
- 50% (54 miles) city test, at average 30 mph, but varying .. using 1/3 of the battery

If you spent less time on the highway, but your twisties were higher speed (45-55 mph) then the battery usage you saw is pretty consistent with Zero's estimates.

If you don't spend a lot of time on the interstates, I feel for most riders there's "enough" range now to be a non-issue.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »

I tried to model range vs speed last year.  Have a look here: https://ptruchon.pagekite.me/wiki/rangevsspped
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »

I tried to model range vs speed last year.  Have a look here: https://ptruchon.pagekite.me/wiki/rangevsspped

Thanks for that! Very informative.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

markmaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 04:09:05 AM »

I have had my Zero DS13 for 3 months, and have not had the same experience that I am seeing in this thread.  My range seems close to the 9.8kwh version of the DS, but even then, I sometimes come up short. I do not have an in town comparison, but on the freeway at 65-70 mph in Eco mode it required recharging to make it home after 32 miles. I estimate the freeway range at 56 miles.
Several days ago I sent the following to Zero Inc (they have not responded yet):
I recently rode through town about 5 miles and out a country highway for 34 miles. The ride was steady at 55 mph except for slowing down for curves in the road and accelerating gradually back up to 55 mph. There was a net gain of 2,000 feet in elevation going out, so I figured that I was safe to make it back if I turned around at 50% power.
Although I drove with the same gentle acceleration and at slightly slower speeds on the return trip, I was down to 0% power after a total of 75 miles (68 miles highway and 7 miles in town).  I was able to continue for the last 3 miles with 0% power on the display, but I still had full power for acceleration and maintaining speed for those last three miles through town.
It is possible that the reduced range going mostly down hill on the return trip was due to wind direction.  In any event, my range is very close to what would be expected with a 9.8 kwh battery pack. I suggest that there is either a battery module missing or one is not connected.
I thought of one other possibility.  If the on board computer calculates the remaining range based upon the energy used, it could be that the settings in the computer are for the 9.8 kwh battery back even though there is a 13.0 kwh battery pack on board. Is this possible?
2016 Zero DS 13.0 kwh
Only dogs hear me riding, and I like it that way.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:05 AM »

Please keep us posted. Your range is certainly lower than expected. The one time I came near 0%, I'd done about 80 highway miles at noticeably higher speeds than you. On a '15 SR, which has a slightly smaller battery than yours. At 55mph you should do better than that, even though the DS is a bit less efficient than the S...

I have had my Zero DS13 for 3 months, and have not had the same experience that I am seeing in this thread.  My range seems close to the 9.8kwh version of the DS, but even then, I sometimes come up short. I do not have an in town comparison, but on the freeway at 65-70 mph in Eco mode it required recharging to make it home after 32 miles. I estimate the freeway range at 56 miles.
Several days ago I sent the following to Zero Inc (they have not responded yet):
I recently rode through town about 5 miles and out a country highway for 34 miles. The ride was steady at 55 mph except for slowing down for curves in the road and accelerating gradually back up to 55 mph. There was a net gain of 2,000 feet in elevation going out, so I figured that I was safe to make it back if I turned around at 50% power.
Although I drove with the same gentle acceleration and at slightly slower speeds on the return trip, I was down to 0% power after a total of 75 miles (68 miles highway and 7 miles in town).  I was able to continue for the last 3 miles with 0% power on the display, but I still had full power for acceleration and maintaining speed for those last three miles through town.
It is possible that the reduced range going mostly down hill on the return trip was due to wind direction.  In any event, my range is very close to what would be expected with a 9.8 kwh battery pack. I suggest that there is either a battery module missing or one is not connected.
I thought of one other possibility.  If the on board computer calculates the remaining range based upon the energy used, it could be that the settings in the computer are for the 9.8 kwh battery back even though there is a 13.0 kwh battery pack on board. Is this possible?
'15 Zero SR

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »

Were you going by the dash, or the app? I believe that I read somewhere that once on "E", you still had 20% to 25% battery left.
If using the app, it would probably be much closer to true capacity.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »

markmaxwell

Can you share the significant digits of your VIN?

Though with 2015's the look ups are wrong on the battery size... it might help inform discussion.  So don't let that make you think you've got the wrong battery in the monolith.

Also Charge times could guide to battery size, as will using the App for more precise state of Charge review.

The App has "Watts per Mile" however calculated will allow for comparative to riding style, average speed and drag.

"Eco" mode won't really impact highway driving.  It reduces available torque, and tinkers with regeneration but holding at highway speed "Eco" won't matter.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »

I beg to differ.  Eco mode can save you on the highway as it limits your top speed.  The biggest drain on your battery is prolonged high speed riding.  Air drag increases geometrically as speed increases arithmetically so having Eco mode limiting your top speed to 70 mph (which, in my experience criss-crossing the country for over thirty years on ICE bikes is more than enough to keep up with traffic no matter what the posted speed limit) goes a long way to stretching out your range.

I use Eco mode as a "Poor Man's Cruise Control."  Holding the throttle wide open, and you'll maintain a steady 70 mph.  Even in a 55mph speed zone, I've passed police cars who don't even give you a second look.

This is especially important on a Zero because I've discovered it's REALLY easy to be going way faster than you think you are because you don't have the usual sensations of exhaust noise, engine vibration, or running through gears.

I keep my S in "Custom Mode" on surface streets (100% torque, 100% regen) but just before I enter the freeway I switch over to Eco mode (and back to Custom as I'm exiting).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

markmaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:19:41 AM »

Were you going by the dash, or the app? I believe that I read somewhere that once on "E", you still had 20% to 25% battery left.
If using the app, it would probably be much closer to true capacity.
I was going by the dash.  Except for setting the custom parameters, I have not found the app to be very useful. I would not have my phone out when riding and it looses the Bluetooth connection when I am more than about ten feet from the motorcycle.  Perhaps this is a time that it would prove useful.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:29:34 AM by markmaxwell »
2016 Zero DS 13.0 kwh

markmaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:29 AM »

markmaxwell

Can you share the significant digits of your VIN?

Though with 2015's the look ups are wrong on the battery size... it might help inform discussion.  So don't let that make you think you've got the wrong battery in the monolith.

Also Charge times could guide to battery size, as will using the App for more precise state of Charge review.

The App has "Watts per Mile" however calculated will allow for comparative to riding style, average speed and drag.

"Eco" mode won't really impact highway driving.  It reduces available torque, and tinkers with regeneration but holding at highway speed "Eco" won't matter.

Which digits are "significant"?
Charge times do seem pretty quick for 13 kwh, but I never actually timed the recharge.
2016 Zero DS 13.0 kwh

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 06:31:53 AM »

Charge times do seem pretty quick for 13 kwh, but I never actually timed the recharge.
[/quote]

If you don't want to share the last 4 for privacy... that is fine.

The rest have bearing into the configuration you have.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:46:43 AM »

My ZF14.2 2014 S took about 15 hours to fully recharge the one time that I ran its battery pack down to zero.  But I think that has a lot to do with the way the charger was programmed. It took about 8 hours just to get to 40%.  My Kill A Watt showed a very low power input when it first started charging and also the charger tapered off a lot before it reached 100%.  The charger's power draw varied from a high of about 1300 watts (I never saw the 13 amps that the charger is apparently rated at) to as low as 600 watts, as I recall. When it neared 100% the power dropped to around 250 watts.  But when running the battery pack down to only 50%, it typically recharges right around 10% per hour.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

markmaxwell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »

If you don't want to share the last 4 for privacy... that is fine.

The rest have bearing into the configuration you have.
[/quote]

VIN: 538SD9Z21GCB0****
2016 Zero DS 13.0 kwh
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6