• March 29, 2024, 05:41:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cyclops LED headlight on 16' SR  (Read 1604 times)

What_clutch

• View Profile
Cyclops LED headlight on 16' SR
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »

So I thought I'd share my experience with going LED on the headlight. I've ran their LED lights before and have had their older version on one of my other bikes. This new design a lot quiter than the older version you can ever so slightly hear the fan going if there is absolutely no noise around you. This also comes with a little spacer that I haven't tried that supposed to improve the low beam spread which I haven't tried, I wanted to see how it looks without it and if it indeed does improve it by putting it on within the next few days. Anyways here it is.

Low beam:

High beam:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:24:20 AM by What_clutch »

tjax

• It's all fun and games until someone looses a bollock...
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclops LED headlight on 16' SR
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:49:25 AM »

Hi there, I run the same n my DSR, you can hear the fan, but the light output is great and nice and white.  I was running them in my Triumph Tiger for a year - a bit of fun to fit, easier when you remove the headlamp assembly!

Good upgrade to stock H4 bulb.

I fitted LED indicators inserts again previously from the tiger  - perfect fit!

With little sound, making yourself seen and defensive riding are really important!

Tim
2016 DSR - Wellington, New Zealand
Oxford heated grips,
LED Headlight
LED Indicators
Zero Toprack + Custom Givi plate
iPhone power

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:10:15 AM »

Thank you for the review! I would love an LED headlight (and taillights, turn signals, etc.). I would prefer one without a fan, but I suppose it's not going to make much of a difference. I'll add this to the "Eventually" shopping list.

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »

So I thought I'd share my experience with going LED on the headlight. I've ran their LED lights before and have had their older version on one of my other bikes. This new design a lot quiter than the older version you can ever so slightly hear the fan going if there is absolutely no noise around you. This also comes with a little spacer that I haven't tried that supposed to improve the low beam spread which I haven't tried, I wanted to see how it looks without it and if it indeed does improve it by putting it on within the next few days. Anyways here it is.

Low beam:

High beam:

How did you manage to put back the original black water proofing rubber? I am looking at it half assembled right now and I think you can only cut it to let the fan breath....  or I messed up the re-assembly....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

What_clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »

Thank you for the review! I would love an LED headlight (and taillights, turn signals, etc.). I would prefer one without a fan, but I suppose it's not going to make much of a difference. I'll add this to the "Eventually" shopping list.

The stock taillight is an LED as far a as I know so all you'll need to change out is your turn signals and your main headlight and accessory light at the top of it. Just remember to buy an LED flasher relay or the turn signals won't work. I'll post up a picture of my set up. You can't really hear it unless there's no noise around and even less if you wear in ear headphones like I do and if you add music to that then there's no way you'd ever know the fan is there.

What_clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

How did you manage to put back the original black water proofing rubber? I am looking at it half assembled right now and I think you can only cut it to let the fan breath....  or I messed up the re-assembly....

You have to cut it, there's no way you'd be able to fit it on without doing so. I haven't had issues with the housing fogging up and have had dew on the seat while it's foggy out so it's worked out for me.

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »

thanks

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »

Low beam:

High beam:

When I put my LED headlight on I was able to take the metal mounting plate off the LED and then put the rubber boot on from the front then put the plate back on.  Then I didn't need to cut the rubber boot. That rubber keeps water out of the headlight assembly so you don't want to cut it if you can avoid it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

What_clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 11:38:11 PM »

Which you can take the metal plate off of this one as well. I guess I should've been more clear..if you want the function of how the light is supposed to be ran which is with the fan cooking the light constantly you shouldn't wrap it around that area bc otherwise the fan becomes useless I would think. I cut mine pretty tightly around the fan so it'll be almost impossible for a splash of water to get in there and these on their website have also been submerged in water without any effect so a little water wouldn't hurt it.

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:11:30 AM »

thanks for. the suggestion, unfortunately I cut it pretty loose and now I have to find a new one.... Anyone knows where you can buy spare parts for the headlight? I will try the local zero dealer but I am sure they will have the option to. replace the entire headlight...

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 01:57:05 AM »

Which you can take the metal plate off of this one as well. I guess I should've been more clear..if you want the function of how the light is supposed to be ran which is with the fan cooking the light constantly you shouldn't wrap it around that area bc otherwise the fan becomes useless I would think. I cut mine pretty tightly around the fan so it'll be almost impossible for a splash of water to get in there and these on their website have also been submerged in water without any effect so a little water wouldn't hurt it.

On the LED headlight I used the fan isn't blowing air on the LED light...the fan blows air on the heat sink.  It is designed to have the rubber boot between the metal plate and the heat sink, that's why the metal plate can be removed....to install the rubber boot.
2014 Zero S

mistasam

• View Profile
    • newzeroland
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »

Looks like you guys got it all installed, but here's a video I made about it as well:

https://youtu.be/iHgjR7gBV_U

tjax

• It's all fun and games until someone looses a bollock...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »

Looks a great install Sam, I covered the fan unit with the rubber boot to keep the noisy fan at bay - I will reevaluate come warmer times!  You certainly get noticed with the brighter light...now I feel more lights are needed!!
2016 DSR - Wellington, New Zealand
Oxford heated grips,
LED Headlight
LED Indicators
Zero Toprack + Custom Givi plate
iPhone power
Pages: [1]