• April 24, 2024, 10:47:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: suspension setting  (Read 1425 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
suspension setting
« on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:57 AM »

Have anyone tested what might be a good setting for the suspension settings for lightweight riders on an 2015 SR?

I'm only 66kg, while the bike should be adjusted for 82 kg by default.

Without much experience (this being my first bike*) i believe my suspension should be smoother, so i today i tried softening 1 step (on all compression+rebound) which didn't seem to make much difference. I also noticed that the "M1"** value on the front (didn't check the rear today) was 152mm while the manual says it should be 105mm (!). I wonder how this may have passed factory tests- is this a common value being almost 50% off spec? I also wonder how it could get this much off, or if having it at this height may be dangerous (i have not touched the preload myself yet). Now the bike was a demo bike before i got it, so it could be adjusted for some tall person (i'm only moderately tall 181 cm/ but i have long legs, so the height is not an issue to me).

* my only comparison would be the mc-school bike that i used during training for my license..
** M1 refers to the bottom of the fork tube to the bottom of the tube's dust seal in the 2015 SR manual page 4.17.

The sag itself was probably less than 20mm (while it should be 45) so i am pondering on adjusting the spring preload, the compression and rebound dampening. The question is whether my measurment may be wrong? It seems pretty straight forward, however i do not wan't to mess things up and it is the first time i try..  :P

In general, how much adjustment may be required to achieve something near specc, and how will this influence the behavior of the bike...

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: suspension setting
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:34:12 PM »

I assume you've already seen these threads:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5320.msg39136#msg39136

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5815.msg43073#msg43073

From the above it appears that considerable work may be needed to achieve manual spec, which still may not be enough for a lighter rider.

In front, you can try reducing the compression, rebound, and spring preload to zero, then add some rebound back in which may help control the springs better.  Given the situation outlined in the threads above this will not 'fix' the fork by any means, but it may help a little.  In back, I'd adjust the M2 laden sag to 550mm per the manual, then check the top of the spring at full extension to make sure the adjuster is still making contact with the spring.  I'd run 0 compression, and maybe 3 rebound to start.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »

My 2015 SR was ridiculously stiff when I got it even with the preload all the way out.  I had to cut a lot of 'spacer' to get sag correct. 

Count_Hejnowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »

Have anyone tested what might be a good setting for the suspension settings for lightweight riders on an 2015 SR?

I'm only 66kg, while the bike should be adjusted for 82 kg by default.

Without much experience (this being my first bike*) i believe my suspension should be smoother, so i today i tried softening 1 step (on all compression+rebound) which didn't seem to make much difference. I also noticed that the "M1"** value on the front (didn't check the rear today) was 152mm while the manual says it should be 105mm (!). I wonder how this may have passed factory tests- is this a common value being almost 50% off spec? I also wonder how it could get this much off, or if having it at this height may be dangerous (i have not touched the preload myself yet). Now the bike was a demo bike before i got it, so it could be adjusted for some tall person (i'm only moderately tall 181 cm/ but i have long legs, so the height is not an issue to me).

* my only comparison would be the mc-school bike that i used during training for my license..
** M1 refers to the bottom of the fork tube to the bottom of the tube's dust seal in the 2015 SR manual page 4.17.

The sag itself was probably less than 20mm (while it should be 45) so i am pondering on adjusting the spring preload, the compression and rebound dampening. The question is whether my measurment may be wrong? It seems pretty straight forward, however i do not wan't to mess things up and it is the first time i try..  :P

In general, how much adjustment may be required to achieve something near specc, and how will this influence the behavior of the bike...

For your first (OR ANY) bike you DESERVE correctly set up suspension-it really is a huge issue.
As far as sag adjustment, like others have posted, see if you can take off preload with the adjuster on the top of the fork, 19mm hex. Too much preload will increase the M1 "topped out" measurement, as sounds like its running too high on your bike.
 If you still can't get an acceptable sag (and with the preload adjuster on 0 turns out), cutting down the spacer is a possibility. That would require removing and disassembling the forks somewhat. I cut off (actually made shorter ones) 10mm/.4 " and that was satisfactory- but I weigh 200lbs with gear and my fork travel of my FXS is more than the SR. You might have to totally take apart the fork to get a better idea of what "factory installed preload" is for the SR. (I am have a suspicion all Showa does to alter the 41mm forks between the Zero models is change the spring rate/spring length and preload spacers- I def could be wrong about this.) By measuring the set length and then noting the difference between what 0 preload is on a topped out fork, and then what they add to their spacers, I found on the FXS they added 15mm which is normal for street bikes, but a little much for supermoto style forks. I was aiming for 5mm.
 All that being said, you might just need softer spring rate for your weight. I have found Race Tech to be the guys, and Maria from Zero said they have developed valving and springs that fit the Zero line. There are other suspension/spring guys out there as well that Zero owners have posted about.
Its really worth sorting it out so you feel confident in any speed and/or conditions.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:07 AM »

For your first (OR ANY) bike you DESERVE correctly set up suspension-it really is a huge issue.
As far as sag adjustment, like others have posted, see if you can take off preload with the adjuster on the top of the fork, 19mm hex. Too much preload will increase the M1 "topped out" measurement, as sounds like its running too high on your bike.
 If you still can't get an acceptable sag (and with the preload adjuster on 0 turns out), cutting down the spacer is a possibility. That would require removing and disassembling the forks somewhat. I cut off (actually made shorter ones) 10mm/.4 " and that was satisfactory- but I weigh 200lbs with gear and my fork travel of my FXS is more than the SR. You might have to totally take apart the fork to get a better idea of what "factory installed preload" is for the SR. (I am have a suspicion all Showa does to alter the 41mm forks between the Zero models is change the spring rate/spring length and preload spacers- I def could be wrong about this.) By measuring the set length and then noting the difference between what 0 preload is on a topped out fork, and then what they add to their spacers, I found on the FXS they added 15mm which is normal for street bikes, but a little much for supermoto style forks. I was aiming for 5mm.
 All that being said, you might just need softer spring rate for your weight. I have found Race Tech to be the guys, and Maria from Zero said they have developed valving and springs that fit the Zero line. There are other suspension/spring guys out there as well that Zero owners have posted about.
Its really worth sorting it out so you feel confident in any speed and/or conditions.

Thanks for your advice Count_Hejnowski, rayivers and killroy, it seems adjusting the preload does little to me, so i guess i will have a look at what options there are for getting a softer spring. I'm not sure exactly what my options are in terms of having someone professional to make the adjustment where i live (Norway/ near Oslo).
Pages: [1]