• April 27, 2024, 04:56:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Voluntary Recall of the Main System Boards on the Zero X and Zero MX Motorcycle  (Read 2140 times)

picasso

• View Profile

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml10/10702.html

Zero Motorcycles, Inc., in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is instituting a voluntary recall of the main system boards on our Zero X and Zero MX Motorcycles.

The main system board, subject to this recall (“system board”) may, if the throttle is left in the open position or becomes disconnected, and if the acceleration switch is set to “Easy” mode or “0-25” mode, cause the motorcycle to turn on with full power flowing to the motor and accelerate unexpectedly resulting in a loss of motorcycle control and, possibly, serious injury to the rider.

You are receiving this letter because Zero Motorcycles, Inc.’s records indicate you have purchased a Zero X or Zero MX Motorcycle that contains the recalled system board. We have instituted this voluntary recall because safety is our number one priority. Please read the following information carefully.

ON WHICH MODEL MOTORCYCLES IS THE RECALLED MAIN SYSTEM BOARD INSTALLED?
The system board being recalled has been installed on the 2009 model Zero X and Zero MX Motorcycles, and 2008 model Zero X units which have undergone an upgrade to the 2009 features.

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY MOTORCYCLE CONTAINS A RECALLED MAIN SYSTEM BOARD?
If you purchased your Zero X or Zero MX Motorcycle in December of 2008 or at any time since December of 2008, you have a motorcycle with a recalled system board. Or if you purchased a 2008 Zero X and subsequently returned it to Zero Motorcycles HQ for a 2009 upgrade, then you also have a motorcycle with a recalled system board. If you do not recall when you purchased your Zero X Motorcycle, you can check the Vehicle Identification Number on the motorcycle and contact the Zero Motorcycle representative listed below to determine whether your motorcycle contains a recalled system board.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE A MOTORCYCLE WITH A RECALLED MAIN SYSTEM BOARD?
If your motorcycle is equipped with a recalled system Board you should immediately stop riding the motorcycle in the “Easy” mode or in the “0-25” mode. You should also check to ensure that the throttle is in the closed position before turning on the motorcycle.

WHAT IS ZERO MOTORCYCLES DOING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM?
Please be advised that Zero Motorcycles, Inc. has successfully bench tested a system board that corrects this problem. Zero Motorcycles, Inc. anticipates that production will be complete on the upgraded system boards on September 30th, 2009 and field testing will begin immediately thereafter. Zero Motorcycles, Inc. anticipates that the upgrade kit, including the new system board and installation instructions will be ready for distribution on or before October 30, 2009. In addition to the upgrade kit and the installation instructions you will be provided with pre-paid packaging for the return of the original system board to Zero Motorcycles.

If, after receiving the updated system board, the installation instructions and the pre-paid return packaging, you are uncomfortable or unwilling to undertake the installation, please contact the Zero Motorcycles representative below and alternative installation options will be provided. Such options may include, but are not limited to, bringing the motorcycle, the system board and the installation instructions to a motorcycle or bicycle dealership in your area, or requesting that Zero Motorcycles, Inc. provide you with a shipping crate at no expense which will deliver your motorcycle to a Zero Motorcycles, Inc. technician who will perform the necessary installation. All of the freight costs for returning the recalled product will be handled by Zero Motorcycles, Inc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:56:01 PM by picasso »

guity

• View Profile

Ouch!  Zero didn't need for that to happen...

picasso

• View Profile

Note the numbers released...."About 200"

Also of note was this line from the website of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. So what is the Zero?

"CPSC does not have jurisdiction over automobiles, trucks and motorcycles, car seats protecting children in on-road vehicles, foods, medicines, cosmetics, and medical devices, or dissatisfaction with business practices"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:54:37 PM by picasso »

gogreenmoto

• View Profile

@ Guilty,

Yes, I agree it is a bummer, but thinking about it, all big auto/moto companies go through recalls. It is sort of inevitable that recalls are going to come up. I think Ford just did a HUGE one last week, but I could be wrong. I guess that sort of implies that Zero is a big company now if they are doing a recall, which is actually kind of cool. At least they are leading with the right message, as it looks like they're taking responsibility, and doing the right thing.
Pages: [1]