• March 29, 2024, 04:42:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FXS owners: Range question for you  (Read 1942 times)

schleppy

• View Profile
FXS owners: Range question for you
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »

I just rode a FXS 6.5, and I LOVED it. My only concern is the range for my commute.

I am about 240lbs, and have a 26 mile commute (1 way). Most of that is highway. Would the FXS be able to do it if I can plug in at work? Especially if I kept it under 60 on the highway.

Thanks all, hoping to join the Zero family soon!

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: FXS owners: Range question for you
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:45 AM »

I'm guessing that you'll make it to work without issue, especially since you're willing to adjust your speed if necessary. If you have a problem it would be getting the bike fully charged for the ride home. If you use close to 100% you'll have to charge for over eight hours. You could cut that time by using multiple chargers if you're close enough to multiple electrical circuits. Again, you could adjust your speed so you use only about 80% on each trip. According to the website, though, you should be comfortably under 100%.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/specs.php
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

BertTrack

• Nutty
  • Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »

I have the FX and i use it on a 16km(10mile) commute, So 32km(20mile) total and it's top speed work. So a steady 111km/hr(69mph).

The predicted range for me is usually around 45km (28miles). But thanks to the slow pieces of the route i get home with 40% left instead of 33%

Using the built in charger it will take aprox 7 hours.

Mind you bringing the speed down extends the range a lot. 80km(50miles) is doable when you ride it normally on secondary roads.

You should be fine.
X rated fun. I mean FX

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »

My 2013 FX 5.7 is set up as an FXs My one way trip is 20 miles. 5 or 7 miles of city street,
depending upon where I jump onto the freeway. If I keep to the right, keep speed to
55 mph and, hug the "tank", I can get to and from work On a charge ( 40~42 miles ).
If I am in a hurry, and bump it up to 75~80 mph, I can make it to work easily but would
probably have to charge for ride home. If I use the on board charger, FULL charge only
shows 91%. If I use quick charger, or, add quick charger to on board, it shows 100%
but, drops to 95% within a mile, and, 91% within 2 or 3 miles. Given that, I seriously
doubt that you will have any issues. I would be surprised if you couldn't make the
trip with the 3.3. My 2012 XU with 3KW pack would make one leg of the trip using
freeway with the empty light flashing for the last couple miles. If I took city streets
I could make the round trip with relative ease.
Should be a breeze. You will love the bike.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »

I'm really sorry I didn't get an S with more range instead of my FXS.
Yes, for my commute to work it's fine, I get home with 70-80% to spare.
However, I can't really use it to travel anywhere.
I suggest you get an S much more range instead of an FXS. The range is just too limited to be a useful motorcycle. And it's not exactly cheap.
The S also charges much faster than an FXS which requires 9 hours for a full charge.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »

Being at the "edge" near maximum range is something I've had to deal with my previous electric bike. Yeah, I could do my one-way commute to the office always, and if something happened and I could not charge there, I could limp my way back home too slowly on back roads. But I had to be careful not to make any detours and I could not change my mind on a whim where to go. Or if I came home and decided to go out somewhere - no battery, so take the car.

Everyone is different, but my last bike, a Vectrix, had a range that was very similar to the 6.5kW FXS. It was pretty good and mostly enough. But I often wanted to have another 20-30 highway miles at my disposal, so I could go anywhere and back around my city without having to recharge half-way.

With the 12.5kW SR that I have now, the range is perfect. I've only been at the "edge" once, draining it to below 10% during a highway trip where I got lost and was in a hurry, so I drove 10-15 extra highway miles at high speeds. An hour top-up charge at work, and I was comfortable making the 10 mile trip home after that.

In MD the 9kW S is actually about $400 cheaper than the 6kW FX/FXS since the state rebate is $125 per 1 kW battery.

But the FXS was the most fun of the Zero lot for sure. And for me, the most comfortable too, along with the FX. Just I know that with this battery it won't cut it for me - it would be too limiting where I could go with it. I want to have a solid 60+ miles of highway range at full speed if needed. Not that I would want to do that too often or in one leg, but I often need to travel that many miles in a day between several office locations.

I'm really sorry I didn't get an S with more range instead of my FXS.
Yes, for my commute to work it's fine, I get home with 70-80% to spare.
However, I can't really use it to travel anywhere.
I suggest you get an S much more range instead of an FXS. The range is just too limited to be a useful motorcycle. And it's not exactly cheap.
The S also charges much faster than an FXS which requires 9 hours for a full charge.
'15 Zero SR

gman669

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »

I get around 40-45 miles at around 60 mph out of my 5.7.
2015 Zero FX
Lots of gas powered stuff...

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »

one thing to keep in mind with the FX is that the charger is half the size of the S model chargers.

So you can double the charging speed with a DIY charger, and still plug it into one outlet safely.
If you're willing to put together a couple meanwells (or other cc/cv power supplies) you could set it all to whatever is safe for the outlet you're using.. and double your output. If you can find a constant power/cc/cv charger, it will help even more.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »

I still cheat by having ICE back up for longer than usual trips, or to go riding with my girl friend, but, I am very content with my choice of FX 5.7 for electric.
It is so much lighter and much more nimble than the others. I can take it all over town on my days off plugging it in at any 120v outlet. Other than times
when I have been going for range, I haven't been concerned about getting stuck anywhere. I have the QuiQ charger at home which almost triples charge
speed when used in conjunction with the on board charger.  Totally different uses between S/DS and the FX. All excellent choices, just a rather sizable price
tag for entry so, weigh your most / best uses before writing the check

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »

Is it possible to build a small charger that can be carried around?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 01:50:01 AM »

Is it possible to build a small charger that can be carried around?

sure.if you're ok with a tailpack, or having them in a backpack.
there really isnt a place on the bike to mount it though.

the stock charger is only 650w.
you can pull up to 1875w safely from most outlets. to be really safe (incase someone else has something plugged in the same circuit) you shouldnt pull that much.. the zero S pulls 1300w without issue, so around there is fine.

so if you get two 325w@58v CC/CV power supplies, you could mount them back to back, wired in series and charge with them too. twice the speed, from the same normal outlet.

The only reason zero doesnt do this from the factory is there is no room to fit the S charger on the FX.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 02:57:02 AM »

I'd really enjoy a shorter charge time with how limited the range is.
I'm even considering buying a spare battery but they are ridiculously expensive ($4-5K here)
I have a nifty top case. How big and heavy are we talking about?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 04:04:11 AM »

I'd really enjoy a shorter charge time with how limited the range is.
I'm even considering buying a spare battery but they are ridiculously expensive ($4-5K here)
I have a nifty top case. How big and heavy are we talking about?

light, but size depends on the one you choose.
for example, a meanwell hlg-320h-54A you can see the size in the bottom of the spec sheet here: http://www.meanwell.com/mw_search/HLG-320H/HLG-320H-spec.pdf

that said, it is not your only option. there is a whole range of supplies you could use. Below 400watts leaves alot of options. LED drivers in this range are common.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

The QuiQ charger sold by Zero is 9" by 10" by 5" and weighs about 10 lbs. It will add about 1KW charge to your existing
whether it is S/DS/FX. If S or DS, probably want to plug in to two different circuits ( not two different outlets on same circuit ) for safety.

V155

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »

I'm also interessted in a zero fxs. I tested a fx last year & that went pretty well, much more fun then a DS imo. But the range of the fxs is a worry. My commute ride is 23km one way & I can chose going via freeway or normal road. But don't want to do 110km/h between lorries, so zero has to come up with some more topspeed. As I understand U can gear up the speed with another belt drive not reducing the actieradius. I cannot charge the bike @ the company parking area for now. Is there a range extended available for the zero fxs? Other thing I would chance is the front lights with 10K HiD 's or high performance LED's, dunno this will give some extra range (3-5km's)? The difference between coming home or pushing the bike.
Pages: [1] 2