• April 23, 2024, 11:41:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?  (Read 3948 times)

Doug S

• View Profile

A fuse is sized for the load going through it. Wires are sized for that load or larger.

That's not correct. The job of a fuse is to prevent the wiring from overheating, period. It's okay to UNDERsize a fuse for a lighter load than the wire can handle, but it's never okay to up-size the fuse over the wire's "ampacity".

I'll agree that it MIGHT be okay to up-size the accessory fuse, if the wiring, connectors and DC-DC converter can handle the current, but you've got a lot of experience with vehicles, so you know that most vehicle wiring is done with 16AWG wire. I'll also agree that the "ampacity" of a wire isn't a cut-and-dried thing (a single wire with lots of ventilation can safely carry more current than several wires routed together in a conduit), but generally it's agreed that the safe current-carrying capacity of a 16AWG wire is 15A. Bottom line, if the horn wiring is 16AWG or smaller, which I suspect it is, I wouldn't up that fuse. Period.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile

A fuse is sized for the load going through it. Wires are sized for that load or larger.

That's not correct. The job of a fuse is to prevent the wiring from overheating, period. It's okay to UNDERsize a fuse for a lighter load than the wire can handle, but it's never okay to up-size the fuse over the wire's "ampacity".
I didnt say to upsize the fuse beyond the wires rating. I was just stating the fuse is not picked based on the wiring, but rather on the load.
the wiring is then selected for that load too.

Said anotherway for clarity....Fuses are often undersized compared to the wires capacity.  Clearly you shouldnt allow a load greater than what the wire can safely handle.

Bottom line, if the horn wiring is 16AWG or smaller, which I suspect it is, I wouldn't up that fuse. Period.
No one is suggesting that.
16ga is too small for almost all automotive/motorcycle horns, including the stock one. Voltage drop is too large.
Thats why we're talking about adding a relay. The stock 16ga wires just trigger the relay. The relay then powers the horn, through appropriate size wiring, directly from the DC-DC converter output... with a larger fuse placed there if needed.

As a side note, I think I mentioned this, but I dont like the air-compressor based horns. I put one on a bike I had, and the delay between button press and the sound was too long.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Would anyone know how much current the OEM horn draws?  That might be a good starting point...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

pacificcricket

• View Profile

I have installed this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, that's an impressive looking unit. Are you happy with it? Where did you mount it? Which bike?

As an EE, I can't recommend upping a fuse value. Fuses are sized to prevent wires from overheating, which can easily happen if you up the fuse value. A slow-blow fuse can probably survive a short horn burst and still give good protection.

Yes, the horn is plenty loud. I've installed on the left crash bar - I've got the police style crash bars on my 2014 DS.

I went with the opinion circulating on the forum that DC-DC converter is rated for 30A, so 20A shouldn't be too bad. I've used pretty thick wires, but also yes,
the load going to be in short bursts, wires shouldn't heat up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:29:49 AM by pacificcricket »

Scope

• View Profile

I had the Stebel Nautilus compact on my BMW 1150RT, even before the a-hole side-swiped me in his pickup truck on purpose (admitted in court because he thought being a firefighter he could get away with it).  Loved that horn and used it almost every day in D.C.

Now that I'm in Oahu, Hawaii, I've hit the horn once.  And promptly felt like I left my pair on the side of the road, along with the lane intruder forcing me to maneuver and not once giving me a second thought.  Then, I got the daily Gizmag email talking about the newest Screaming Banshee evolution being 40% smaller and NO RELAY necessary to power the 25A dual-tone horn. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846667950/shockwave-the-first-smart-motorcycle-warning-syste)

Just ordered it, but you've only got 5 days left so get it soon.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile

I'm a new motorcyclist by a couple of months here. The stock horn seems loud enough to get the occasional Pokemon Go player to look up while they're walking blindly into small town traffic. What is a train horn on a motorbike, won't that simply make all drivers near go into a panic?

Scope

• View Profile

A train horn makes people look (again, if not the first time). That's half the battle. I've had drivers drop their coffee, cell phones, and change-lane intentions with a crack of the horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoundMusic

• View Profile

Get this: https://screaming-banshee.com
Screaming Bansyshee LLC
bansheehorn@gmail.com
727-744-6808

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Screaming Bansyshee LLC
bansheehorn@gmail.com
727-744-6808

I like it.  Only one question:  When they say "connect the red wire to the battery" exactly WHERE would that be on a Zero??
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

I like it.  Only one question:  When they say "connect the red wire to the battery" exactly WHERE would that be on a Zero??

(Taking this seriously, ) the DC converter's positive and negative terminals are on its left side as it's installed on the bike (mounted vertically under the seat, but also under some cable and wire runs). +12V is also available from the top of the fuse box, and ground return for all accessories is a cable crimp join mid-way down the "tank" area on the left side in the lowest wire run.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Thank you.  Guess I'll pull the seat later and take a look around.  Thanks!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Semper Why

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 11:45:02 PM »

Screaming Bansyshee LLC
bansheehorn@gmail.com
727-744-6808
I picked up the successor to the Screaming Banshee, the Shockwave. I'll try to put it on the bike this weekend.

(Taking this seriously, ) the DC converter's positive and negative terminals are on its left side as it's installed on the bike (mounted vertically under the seat, but also under some cable and wire runs). +12V is also available from the top of the fuse box, and ground return for all accessories is a cable crimp join mid-way down the "tank" area on the left side in the lowest wire run.
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of the terminals on the left side, would you?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:56:22 PM by Semper Why »

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »

My horn is plenty loud, I haven't had a problem with it.  I blasted some jerkoff the other day.  He told me that I was #1 immediately.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 01:47:11 AM »

Success. The new horn is... a bit bigger than the old one.

The horn is hooked up and operating at OMG volumes. Like an idiot, I originally hooked it in the accessory circuit. A 25 amp horn isn't going to do much on a 10 amp circuit. I ended up tying into the top of the fuse box. Hopefully it will stay put. I'll check on it over the next week or so, just to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose or something.

Edit: Here is it in place.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:13:19 AM by Semper Why »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 05:07:21 AM »

Success. The new horn is... a bit bigger than the old one.

The horn is hooked up and operating at OMG volumes. Like an idiot, I originally hooked it in the accessory circuit. A 25 amp horn isn't going to do much on a 10 amp circuit. I ended up tying into the top of the fuse box. Hopefully it will stay put. I'll check on it over the next week or so, just to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose or something.

Edit: Here is it in place.

I'm rather mechanically inept, so if you could provide some photos on how you hooked it up, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3