• March 29, 2024, 04:59:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Has anyone replaced their horn with something people will actually hear?  (Read 3913 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

I know with my ICE bikes I usually couldn't just swap out the horn... the louder horn usually had to be set up with a relay direct from the battery because the existing circuit didn't provide enough power.  Will I have that same issue with the Zero S?  The stock horn is really rather embarrassing and (if possible) I'd LIKE to replace it with this:

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/for-the-bike/horns/ear-cannon-air-horn.html

If that won't work, then I'd settle for:

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/for-the-bike/horns/ear-cannon-air-horn.html

Thanks in advance.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile

You will still want a relay for the horn. The contacts in the controls are the same size as all other bikes.
Personally I prefer the hella horns. The air horns have a delay as the compressor spins up.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Damn.  This could be challenge without a wiring diagram...  :(
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Semper Why

• View Profile

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile

I just scream, get outta the way unless you want an assfull of Pontiac! Learned it from me father. No additional wiring is needed for this mod.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile

Have Twin tone air horns mounted in the fairing of my SV650S.
relay and compressor mounted under seat next to battery.

Blotman

• View Profile

Yes. The stock horn has a tendency to be ignored by other drivers. I mounted the Hella Supertone on my Zero. The stock horn is also a Hella with connectors the same size as the Supertone. The Supertone is actually two horns that sound at differing frequencies. Some cutting and crimping is needed to get that second horn on. Each Supertone horn is much larger than the stock horn, so it took a little playing around to find a position for both of them that didn't obstruct the steering.

This horn is very audible on the highway, and even more so in the back roads. I am very pleased that I am now getting some freakin attention when someone is about to cut me off.
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

MrDude_1

• View Profile

Yes. The stock horn has a tendency to be ignored by other drivers. I mounted the Hella Supertone on my Zero. The stock horn is also a Hella with connectors the same size as the Supertone. The Supertone is actually two horns that sound at differing frequencies. Some cutting and crimping is needed to get that second horn on. Each Supertone horn is much larger than the stock horn, so it took a little playing around to find a position for both of them that didn't obstruct the steering.

This horn is very audible on the highway, and even more so in the back roads. I am very pleased that I am now getting some freakin attention when someone is about to cut me off.
Those are the Hella horns I was thinking of. I had them on the SV and the CBR.
They'll be louder if you use a relay. (unless they already used a relay. Zero is an electronics company, so they might have been smart about that...)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

They'll be louder if you use a relay. (unless they already used a relay. Zero is an electronics company, so they might have been smart about that...)

That's what I'm HOPING, but the complete lack of any kind of wiring diagram puts it all in a deep, dark mystery...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile

That's what I'm HOPING, but the complete lack of any kind of wiring diagram puts it all in a deep, dark mystery...

I looked through the only wiring diagram I know of (Burtons, found here: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Wiring_Diagram )
but I dont see any relay. only the connector plug.

You could always unplug the controls, and backpin the horn through a ammeter and honk it. that would tell you if its a small relay load, or a large horn load.

Burton

• View Profile

If you wanted to use a relay for the horn I would hook up to the accessories circuit for the power supply for the horn (positaps would help less you bridged your accessories circuit out) as it has a 30amp fuse (at least it does on mine ;) )

Then attach the gate to the stock horn 12v wiring ... not sure if it will make a difference though. There is only one relay on the 2013 S / DS and it is for a blinker.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

pacificcricket

• View Profile

I have installed this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's supposed to draw about 17A, so I used the original horn circuit to trigger the relay (comes with the horn), while the power comes from the
accessory circuit (fuse upgraded to 20A).

Doug S

• View Profile

I have installed this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, that's an impressive looking unit. Are you happy with it? Where did you mount it? Which bike?

As an EE, I can't recommend upping a fuse value. Fuses are sized to prevent wires from overheating, which can easily happen if you up the fuse value. A slow-blow fuse can probably survive a short horn burst and still give good protection.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile

As an EE, I can't recommend upping a fuse value. Fuses are sized to prevent wires from overheating.

I always take issue when people say this.
A fuse is sized for the load going through it. Wires are sized for that load or larger.

If you're only going to pull a small load, like 4A though something, you run a 5A fuse because anything larger is a fault.. It doesnt matter if the wires can take 20A, because 5A is high.

For example, in any car you will find a 5A fuse for some small thing... but the wires are the same size as the 15A or 20A fuses. Its normally cheaper to run the same size wires.
By the same note, an intermittent load, like the horn, may have undersized wires... thats the problem most motorcycles have.. tiny wires and small contacts in the controls are supposed to power this huge load of a horn. Thats why most motorcycle horns get louder with JUST a relay kit. same horn. If you tried to sustain the load a horn puts on those wires and contacts for a long period of time, they would get warm.

So, look at the wires and all the connectors and then, if its safe.. sure up the fuse. after all, you are changing the load.
In the case of the zero, also look at the max output of the DC-DC converter and be sure you're not exceeding its capabilities...  but if not, then up the fuse.

but the fuse is matched to the load and wiring. not just the wiring. It may be perfectly safe to change, if you're changing the load.
Pages: [1] 2 3