• March 29, 2024, 03:01:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Custom charging adapters  (Read 1666 times)

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
Custom charging adapters
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:52:31 AM »

Hi all

In the UK, most public charging points are Type 2 (Mennekes - 62196-2 ) connectors. Others are available but type 2 is the most ubiquitous. 

On the road, at the bare minimum, I'm going to need a type 2 -> C13 adapter to utilise the on board charger (1.3kw)

Assuming I build my Eltek charging pack (8KW), I am going to need a Type 2 -> multiple C13 connectors. The problem is that the charging stations all have difference KW ratings, some are 43KW (?) Others 7KW etc...

Whats the best way to deal with this? Is all power available at once, or does the amount of power available need to be negotiated? If all available, I can choose to plug in 4 KW worth of eltek + onboard if a 7kw station is available (for example)

This would be quite good, because I can choose whether to carry my eltek charging system in the top box or not, depending on route etc.

Sorry if this is info thats already about, I did find lots of info on J1772 charging but not for type 2 stuff.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:29:52 AM by alexanderfoti »

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
Re: Custom charging adapters
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:33:40 PM »

The Type2 Connector has the same Shape for different currents, not as the CEE Form, they have different sizes for different currents.
The maximum power you can draw from a Type2 Charging Station depends on:
- The Fuses in the Charging Station itself: 1 phase 16 Amp (3,7kW), 3 phase 16 Amp (11kW), 3 phase 32 Amp (22kW) or 3 phase 63 Amp (43kW)
- The Type2 Cable you use, the maximum current depends on the cross section of your wires, and is coded inside the Type2 Plug with resistors for safety reasons. So the charging Station will switch internally to smaller fuses if you use a smaller cable on a higher capable Charging station. Hint: some Stations have no switchable fuses inside and decline charging, some have two sockets, one for 11kW and one for 22kW.

You can built your own adapter for using Type2, I've found the information only on german pages, but you may use a translator or just ask me if you need further help.

http://elweb.info/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=typ2-stecker
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196_Typ_2

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »

Many thanks

It seems most in the UK are 3.7KW/3KW or 7KW (230V single phase). I can take 2 x 2kw Eltek packs and the 1.3kw on board charger for mobile charging if required.

Having read the articles, do I need to deal with emulating the Square wave communication? (The EVSE communicates the maximum available charging current to the EV by pulse width modulation of the pilot signal: 16% duty cycle is 10 A, 25% is 16 A, 50% is 32 A, and 90% flags a fast charge option)

I can make/use a standard adapter (like this http://evbitz.uk/EVBitz.uk/T2___UK_13A.html) for 3KW stations and make my own cable for 5.3KW charging.

If I use a PP-PE resistance of 220Ohms, that should be fine.
With CP-PE resistance, can I have just a switch and a resistance of 880 ohms, or does the supply look for each stage?

Thanks for the info!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »

For public on-board charging I use a Mennekes-Schuko adapter, nice and small and works like a charm!

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »

Having read the articles, do I need to deal with emulating the Square wave communication?
No, a simple resistor between contacts PE and PP is sufficient. Just use the appropriate resistor according to your cable cross section.
But if you use it on a weaker charging Station you should carefully step down your chargers to the charging stations limit, as there is no communication between your Charger and the station. Otherwise the fuse inside the station will trip.  :(

If I use a PP-PE resistance of 220Ohms, that should be fine.
With CP-PE resistance, can I have just a switch and a resistance of 880 ohms, or does the supply look for each stage?
Between CP and PE there is just an resistance of 880 ohms in series with an diode and a switch for starting and stopping charging. At most stations this simple configuration should work. I've heard of some stations which need an additional resistor of 2700 ohms for "vehicle detected", but you can easily add this if you use a "multi stage" switch. (hope this is correct in my bad English ...)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:38:58 PM by morimaxx »

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »

Excellent.

No, makes perfect sense, thanks indeed!

I will get the connectors ordered and build a small switch box with the different resistance values.

Will let you know how I get on! Thanks
Pages: [1]