• March 19, 2024, 02:13:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Footpeg Relocator Adaptors  (Read 3514 times)

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Footpeg Relocator Adaptors
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:28:43 AM »

After going with taller bars / rearset risers / Zero MX seat on my '14 'MX', I was happy with the position of everything but my legs.  My feet seemed too far forward with excessive knee angle, and going from sitting to standing required pulling back slightly on the bars, which none of my other bikes needed (and I hated).

These adaptors move the OEM footpeg mounts 23mm down & back, and 16mm farther apart.  In addition to mounting-bolt holes they have protruding pegs to engage the frame's footpeg-boss locating holes, and blind holes to accept the OEM footpeg mounts' pegs. The lower front corners of the adaptors extend 10mm below the skid plate, but the adaptor steel (316 stainless) surrounds & protects the mounts from wide/flat impacts.  Mounting bolts required are M10 x 35 x 1.5 (frame) and M10 x 22 x 1.5 low socket-head (footpeg mount) - all were torqued to 35 ft/lbs using blue Loc-Tite. These adaptors will fit the '14 FX and possibly the '15-'16 FX and FXS too, but the DS / S / SR have different brake-pedal and kickstand clearance situations so I have no idea if they'll fit those bikes correctly or not.  All the '14-'16 Zeros use the same 20-02723 (LH) and 20-02724 (RH) footpeg mounts.

Left to right - LH out side / in side, RH in side / out side:

... and here's the RH one on the bike (far left is aluminum CNC test blank, adaptor w/mount only, and complete peg/mount/adaptor setup):

Here are the diagrams - I added a .125" top step for added brake-pedal clearance to both (in case CNC mirror-imaging is used).

After 5 rides, some observations:

1) They make a lot of small things easier: sitting/standing transitions, moving feet down to (and up from) the ground quickly, braking (which feels more like a straight push down now, rather than a curved one down & back), power sliding, lifting front end over obstacles (especially while standing), etc.  The total effect is one of feeling more comfortable and in-control on the bike.

2) Rear traction seems improved slightly, possibly at the expense of front grip.

3) Brake pedal is now offset inward slightly like my ICE bikes, so it's easier to avoid riding the brake.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:22:49 AM by rayivers »
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Footpeg Relocator Adaptors
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »

Nice work and that's good to know that the results are more "dual sport" oriented! My DS/DSR feel just slightly awkward with the footpeg position because it's the same geometry as for the S/SR.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

Thanks!  I'm real happy with how they came out, they fit the frame & mount holes well and don't flex at all.

I was just looking at pics of the '13 DS / '16 DSR, it seems like the OEM footpeg locations are pretty much directly under the swingarm pivot.  Perhaps it might be better to go straight down with those pegs, rather than any further back?

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Footpeg Relocator Adaptors
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »

I'd rather not reduce clearance to ground. Maybe creatively tilt them a little forward? I'm not terribly motivated to investigate this, though, especially now that the Corbin saddle lets me rest from further back by about this amount.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

rayivers

• View Profile
Re: Diagrams
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:24:05 AM »

Diagrams added to initial post.

Ray

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »

lol whats this inches stuff?  Can your software also output metric?
Metric please.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »

Amazing work Ray! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »

My need is a setup to allow the use of the "Aggressive" foot pegs sold by ZERO as "made for the FX/FXS.  The truth is if you purchase them then you will find three things.
When the foot pegs are folded up;
1. The right side cleat will contact the brake pivot bolt before it contacts the fold point contact.
2. The right side will also contact the rear brake shield before it contacts the fold point contact.
3. The left side will contact the frame before it contacts the fold point contact.

In short, the set I received from ZERO was just a stock part number, not specific to the FX series and sure to damage what ever it hits first as it folds up.

Come on ZERO, try these parts on before you claim they will fit and function correctly.  After all you have assigned them a ZERO part number.

I have contacted ZERO and my Dealer.

I will update this post with feed back from ZERO.
2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:23:13 PM »

My need is a setup to allow the use of the "Aggressive" foot pegs sold by ZERO as "made for the FX/FXS.  The truth is if you purchase them then you will find three things.
1. The right side cleat will contact the brake pivot bolt before it contacts the fold point contact.
2. The right side will also contact the rear brake shield before it contacts the fold point contact.
3. The left side will contact the frame before it contacts the fold point contact.

In short, the set I received from ZERO was just a stock part number, not specific to the FX series and sure to damage what ever it hits first as it folds up.

Come on ZERO, try these parts on before you claim they will fit and function correctly.  After all you have assigned them a ZERO part number.

I have contacted ZERO and my Dealer.

I will update this post with feed back from ZERO.

Do you have any pictures of them?

Sparkymoto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:54 AM »

You can find the picture on the ZERO Accessories on the FXS Section.
2015 Indian Scout, 2016 Zero FXS, 1984 AM Gen M923, 1970 Honda 750, 1974 Yamaha RD 400, 1970 Kawasaki Baby Green Streak GP Race Bike, 1970 Bevel Head Single 350 Ducati

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »

I noticed the same clearance issue on my FX. The right side doesn't concern me because it only contacts the bolt. The left side did bother me, didn't want the peg to gouge the frame in the event of a tip over. My solution was to Dremel off the interfering cleats. Here's a picture!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:34:06 AM by Say10 15FX 16FXS »

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »

Finished installing a pair of Ray's footpegs adaptors.
Seems like an excellent design. Had them CNC made.
Will off road test them this weekend.

If anyone need a pair, my machinist can easily make some (the programing took a lot of time).

Thanks Ray for the upgrade.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »

Installation

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »

You're welcome, Oded - and they came out great!  The 'step' looks cool, mine don't have it (I added it later, after my brake pedal started hitting the adaptor).  One weird problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get paint to stick to them all over, despite doing the same prep work I've done with other things on the bike - I'm starting to think it's a flex thing.  My bar-riser adaptors are made from the exact same 316 stainless and painted with the same paint, they still look fine.

Ray

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »

I wash the part, lightly sand it, than use some primer paint, and than paint it black. So far, so good.
Here is a photo of it with the primer on.

Pages: [1] 2