• March 19, 2024, 09:04:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Checking belt tension  (Read 2652 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Checking belt tension
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:31:08 AM »

Ordering parts for the S is such a pain in the butt.  I can't "mail order" from Zero, I have to order through my dealer which means making a trip down to the dealership.  They place the order (after I pay them) and then I wait (on average) two weeks for the part to come in, at which time I have to head down to the dealer to pick it up.

Is there any OTHER tool I can use to check the belt tension that is readily available from anyone?  Perhaps something Harley Davidson or Victory (both use belt drive) might have in stock?

Thanks in advance,
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ElectricZen

• View Profile
Re: Checking belt tension
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »

You just want to check belt tension?  Gates krikit belt tension Gauge is available on amazon for $10-20 bucks.  Looks exactly the same as the one zero sells.

This?  http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_4&products_id=191

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MUTAGS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466879959&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=gates+krikit+gauge&dpPl=1&dpID=31pvKGIxD7L&ref=plSrch

Hope the links work!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:41:34 AM by ElectricZen »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:03:58 AM »

Perfect!  Thank you.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »

You can also use this app:

Carbon Drive Bicycle Calculator by Gates Corporation
https://appsto.re/gb/2lkiA.i

It works well enough, I think.

BertTrack

• Nutty
  • Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 05:49:23 AM »

The Krikit is something you can order in any car parts store. At least in the Netherlands they can (i know)
X rated fun. I mean FX

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »

Don't know about the tool, but it is key to have the right tension - i broke 3 consecutive belts after my dealer replaced it with the wrong tension... Not a great experience to lose any torque in the highway !

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:54:13 AM »

You can also use this app:

Carbon Drive Bicycle Calculator by Gates Corporation
https://appsto.re/gb/2lkiA.i

It works well enough, I think.

Ohh, I'm going to try that app.

FYI, I just checked the user manual and the tension should be 20-30 kg.

Yesterday, I was launching semi-hard from a stop light and I ran over a small pot hole. I think the belt "ratcheted" because heard a noise.  I checked the belt today and I cant see any damage and the tension measured 35 kg, so a little high.  Maybe it was something else like something rattling in my top case. 

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:53:50 AM »

I had the same thing happen yesterday.  I hit a recessed manhole cover while accelerating hard.  I heard what I thought was racheting but could not see any belt damage.  Perhaps just a quick tire slip and the noise was the tire regaining traction?

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »

The Kriket tool arrived in the mail today.  It LOOKS simple enough however the instructions that came with it has "photographs" (and I put that in quotes on purpose) look more like black Rorschach smears than anything helpful.  Why do manufacturers do that??  Sheesh.  >:(
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 01:09:49 AM »

The Kriket tool arrived in the mail today.  It LOOKS simple enough however the instructions that came with it has "photographs" (and I put that in quotes on purpose) look more like black Rorschach smears than anything helpful.  Why do manufacturers do that??  Sheesh.  >:(

I agree. But it is simple, when you push it against the belt, the bar will rise up according to the belt tension (thus it needs to be "flattened" first) When the thing makes the clicking sound, release it gently and read where the bar crosses the marks on the device.

Try do measurment on both the top and the bottom part of the belt (as close to center as you get)- it may differ as much as 10kg. This is worth noting because adjusting the tension with too much slack (10-15 kg) may read out between 20 and 30 which probably is worse than having a slightly too tight belt (based on what i have read on the topic).

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 04:48:34 AM »

The manual says to check the bottom of the belt loop because of the plastic belt guard.  That is good, because measuring one place will be better for consistency. 

kurt nt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »

Belt tension was something that I worried about a fair bit when I first got my SR.
Too tight and the motor bearing makes a lot of noise, too loose and there is the danger of ratcheting the belt.
I bought all sorts of belt tension gauges when I first started.
The Toledo one with the two prongs and gauge, the Kriket and also the Harley Davidson type.
I even tried the sonic method (supposedly the best).
I found that I was doing a lot of work for nothing.
Gates have a downloadable app that also helps.
Enter in the relevant data and it will give the amount of deflection needed.
About 8mm of deflection half way along the bottom side of the belt seems to work best for me.
I use the Harley style belt gauge to measure this.
Place the tool half way along the bottom side of the belt.
Push upwards until the belt stops moving.
Easy and simple with no messing about.
I have done 15000 km of very hard riding with no problems.
Hope this helps

George Cowly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »

Does anyone know when exactly the adjustment of the tension should be done, before or after a ride. I've realised, that my SR's tension goes up from 25kg (cold) to 35-40kg (warm). I reckon it has to be adjusted in cold state.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:21 AM »

Does anyone know when exactly the adjustment of the tension should be done, before or after a ride. I've realised, that my SR's tension goes up from 25kg (cold) to 35-40kg (warm). I reckon it has to be adjusted in cold state.

You would think so.  Otherwise how could you ever warm up your belt to a specified temperature?  I am sure the tension must be measured at room temperature, just like you do for your tire air pressure.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]