• April 25, 2024, 06:55:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blown fuse?  (Read 2521 times)

ammonsh

• View Profile
Blown fuse?
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:14 PM »

I recently lost power all at once to my headlight, turn signals, horn, brake light and 12v accessory.  The bike runs and charges fine.  The normal fuse stack fuses are all ok.  After doing some research, it seems that my problem might be the #3 high voltage fuse (250V 4amp). 

So I took it out.  It is the type that is filled with sand, so you can't see if it is blown.  I ordered a new one which should arrive today.

NOW I can't find the fuse cap!!! crap!  Does anyone know where I can find one?  I don't use fast charging, so would it be alright to take out one of the other fuses and use the cap off of it?  The #3 fuse on the diagram attached is the culprit.

Please help.  I miss my bike and can't ride with out any lights.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:48:15 PM by ammonsh »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Blown fuse?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:23 PM »

I have no idea about a fuse cap, but a fuse continuity test with a voltmeter or simpler tester would work.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ammonsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:16 PM »

The cap is just the plastic piece used to screw the fuse back in and hold it in place.   

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:38:28 AM »

Sure, I just don't know how to make a recommendation.

Definitely wait until the bike has had its contactors open for at least ten minutes before messing with any high voltage fuses, though. You can certainly try a swap from the accessory charging port fuse cap, but don't swap the fuse itself - it's a totally different rating.

FWIW I have found that little parts I've dropped in the bike (yeah, shame on me) have wound up in the pan that covers the onboard chargers under the bike. You can get that off with just a 3mm allen wrench or could see in there with a flashlight.

ammonsh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:58 AM »

Anyone know where I can order a new dc/dc 4amp fuse and holder cap that will fit my 2014 S11.4?

By the way, the picture from my Zero manual that I posted here is wrong.  There are only two hi voltage fuses in this area.  How can Zero give you a manual that has pictures that shows incorrect parts????

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »

By the way, the picture from my Zero manual that I posted here is wrong.  There are only two hi voltage fuses in this area.  How can Zero give you a manual that has pictures that shows incorrect parts? ???

Because each model year has slightly different layouts for the electrical internals. Check the manual for the following model year (2015).

ammonsh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »

Okay I got replacement fuses. Now can anyone tell me where I can get the black cap that holds it on?

ammonsh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:20:08 AM »

Thanks all!  The Ghost has returned to full power!!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:43 AM »

Congrats! If you find a spec for the black cap, please share for adding to the wiki.

erensi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 12:42:33 AM »

...just reviving this old thread because I think I'm having the same problem on my 2015 SR.  No 12v power but motor runs fine, no blown fuses in fuse box.  Looks like it is https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Loss_of_12V_Power

Here's mine:

I've been trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my 2015 SR ZF 13. When I turn on the bike, I get power to the indicator lights and LCD display (without backlight), and the motor runs fine. But the LCD backlight, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, hazard lights, and horn do not work.

This started happening last week. Prior to that I was having a problem with the LED headlight that a previous owner had installed. Sometimes it would cut off and I could make it work again by jiggling the wires that went to it. I don't know offhand if the problem was with the LED itself or the connector, or the wiring. I bought a new LED headlight bulb but before I got around to the replacement, I started having this problem where none of the lights work.

One other thing I should mention is that the "cigarette lighter" 12v socket was acting up too, just prior to the lights out problem. I couldn't tell if it was the socket itself or the phone charger I had plugged in, but I suspect it was the socket because it was rusty when I got the bike and I cleaned it out. After that it worked fine until recently.

I thought maybe there was a short so I checked the fuse box today and all of the fuses are intact, as well as the 2 x ABC 4A and SPT3.15A high-voltage fuses.

Anybody have a clue what might be happening?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:14:52 AM by erensi »

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »

Not sure if it is the case, but might it be a DC-DC converter problem?
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 12:27:47 PM »

Sure sounds like such to me as well. At the 13V stuff isn't working and all that comes from the DC2DCC.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

erensi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 11:57:39 AM »

That's what I think too.  But as a follow up, I replaced the crappy noisy and failing LED headlight bulb with a fanless one I got on Amazon,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ

I checked all the high-voltage fuses with a meter and they were all fine so I figured it was the convertor itself.  I went for a ride today since the motor still works, and on my way back it all the 12 DC stuff works again!  Headlights, LCD backlight, turn signals,  Rear light. 

What are the odds this is a permanent fix? I hope it is not intermittent.

:-\
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:00:19 PM by erensi »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »

That's what I think too.  But as a follow up, I replaced the crappy noisy and failing LED headlight bulb with a fanless one I got on Amazon,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ

I checked all the high-voltage fuses with a meter and they were all fine so I figured it was the convertor itself.  I went for a ride today since the motor still works, and on my way back it all the 12 DC stuff works again!  Headlights, LCD backlight, turn signals,  Rear light. 

What are the odds this is a permanent fix? I hope it is not intermittent.

:-\
Sounds like a flakey connection or connector somewhere. Intermittents are the biggest hassles in troubleshooting, by far.  You almost never really know when you have them fixed.

Perhaps all will be fine for a year or so and then you go over a bump and lose your 12 volts again.

Or perhaps it craps out before you read this message, even without a bump.

IMO, the odds of it never happening again, especially if you did not do anything that could  fix the problem, is very low, but still possible.

Good luck, you need it!

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »

Glad to hear your 12v is working again.

LED headlight bulbs normally have a constant current driver between the source voltage and the LED element.
If the driver is starting to fail they can produce a buzzing/humming noise. Can also cause a lot of "noise" (EMI or RFI) in a circuit that can freak out other devices like the DC DC.

Pages: [1] 2