• March 29, 2024, 05:29:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "new" 2014 model S already dead. :(  (Read 3217 times)

tico

• View Profile
"new" 2014 model S already dead. :(
« on: June 23, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »

So it looks like my beloved 2014 model S (11.4kwh) that I got a month ago from trading in my old 2012 ZF9 is dead. I've already emailed Zero, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience:

Two days ago at the end of the day I plugged it in to charge with about 30% charge remaining, and then didn't touch it until late last night. The bike wouldn't turn on, the green charging LED is on solid, the dash shows a 2,3 blink code "CAN network error", 0% charge indicated on the dash, backlight doesn't light up blue, and most alarmingly, no LEDs at all on the BMS!!   :o

With either cycling the key on and off, or plugging/unplugging the power cord, I don't hear the contactor click.

Tried to download the logs from the Zero app, but no luck.

Haven't heard back from Zero yet, but I'm guessing the charger ate the BMS or the battery?

If the battery has been run down to 0% I can't imagine it will recover well from that. I've only put about 600 miles on this bike this past month that I've had it, but I wonder if there was an issue with the way it was stored the past 2 years before I got it "new" that could lead to this kind of premature failure.
 :'(

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: "new" 2014 model S already dead. :(
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »

Try resetting the BMS. Instructions on the zero manual site.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:05 PM »

Try resetting the BMS. Instructions on the zero manual site.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried resetting the BMS, no response or change whatsoever.  :(

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:21:40 AM »

The earliest the closest dealer says I can drop it off is a week from now, no guarantees how soon they can look at it.

Anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting what exactly died?

I would kill to have factory service manuals available like I had for my old Hondas.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »

Well, before you drop it off, you can try uncovering the BMS and looking for any obvious damage or maybe if you're lucky a disconnect. I wrote some initial notes up based on combined advice from people who have done this in the wiki:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Battery_Management_System_.28BMS.29

Note that the board does connect to battery voltage no matter what (on the left side as you're facing the board which is apparently where cell voltages are read and balanced), so there is a potential for a spark or such. There's a large connector at the top which, if loose, would cause what you're seeing, but there are plenty of other explanations. (This connector is supposedly extremely hard to work with.)

Look over the board components for anything that looks fried. The board is not really fixable because of weather-hardening; you'll need a BMS replacement if it's anything other than a disconnect for the pins at top, but hopefully the dealership will believe you if you present with evidence and can pre-order the board to save time.

You also might be able to log into the MBB over serial via the OBD-II connector if it's actually getting power. I vaguely doubt that's true for your symptoms, though.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:27 AM »

Oh, and be careful not to lose any screws or rubber vibration dampeners; the way the BMS is mounted is really important for its safety. And make sure there's some dielectric grease near the front ports which is supposed to help prevent moisture damage.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:07:16 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion!
Though I don't see anything loose or anything obviously burnt. :(

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:48:34 AM »

So does anybody know of an on-board charger dying in such a way that the battery discharges itself through the faulty charger?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 01:23:09 AM »

So does anybody know of an on-board charger dying in such a way that the battery discharges itself through the faulty charger?

I haven't seen any reports like that. It seems really unlikely - solid state electronics will usually burn out and just open a circuit rather than welding shut.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:07 AM »

I haven't seen any reports like that. It seems really unlikely - solid state electronics will usually burn out and just open a circuit rather than welding shut.

Yeah, that makes sense to me as well, it's just strange to me that this is a 2014MY bike that I've driven for only a month before this problem came up, yet I see no other reports of charger problems from other people that have owned 2014s for the past couple of years. Ant the complete lack of any indicator LEDs on the BMS seems pretty uncommon too.

I mean, when my 2012 had motor magnet / pickup problems, so did tons of other folks. 

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:35 AM »

Did you check your fuses? The battery isn't completely dead, because you are seeing errors on the dash - if the battery was dead I expect the electronics generating these errors won't work.
'15 Zero SR

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:12:36 AM »

I looked at the fuses under the seat, didn't see anything amiss.

The bike is plugged into the charger, which I assume is how it's getting the power to light the green "charger connected" LED, as well as blink the "CAN network error" LED sequence. When I don't have the charger connected I don't see those.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 01:36:53 AM »

Well, my appointment with Gulf Coast BMW / British USA finally arrived, and I dropped off my Zero with them. More waiting to see what comes of it.
 :-\

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »

So I heard back from the engineer at Zero-- it looks like they've determined that the BMS board is to blame, and that the battery voltage is okay.

Hopefully they can get that replaced without any other problems coming up and I'll be on the road again soon!  ;D

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:29:38 PM »

... another week goes by without my bike. :(

Still no updates.
Pages: [1] 2 3