• April 26, 2024, 08:05:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual  (Read 16622 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

I'm amazed at how quickly the wiki is developing. I think it's mostly Brian's hard work and dedication at the moment. Plus Mr Dude's efforts to get the wiki up and running, administer it and so on. I can't fathom how either of them have managed to put so much time in!

What's really great about this is that there is already a strong foundation of info there which will encourage people to visit and contribute.

Some of you may recall I started a thread on this forum for useful resources. The wiki deserves to be at the top of the list! :-)

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »

I haven't had much time to add to it yet, but I wanted to thank you guys for getting this going.  It'll be a very good resource!

One tangential question.  What do you think about making the content free under the Creative Commons BY-SA license?  That way, anyone who wishes to copy (archive, fork, print, ...) would be free to do so.  A good example of a site using this license is Wikipedia.  If you scroll to the very bottom of their home page, you'll see:
This page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
What that may mean, though, is that if we copy text and pictures from this forum over to the wiki, we may have to ask permission of the forum writer first.  Unless...  Is the content on this forum under CC BY-SA ?
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

I haven't had much time to add to it yet, but I wanted to thank you guys for getting this going.  It'll be a very good resource!

Man, I agree can't say how much I agree! This is epic, and a gamechanger, and (again) just plain stupid epic for us on the forum. Many, many kudos to Brian and Mr Dude, but everyone else who had a hand in it as well, for making this possible. I may not agree with everyone all the time, but that's the power of the wiki!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »

First off an apology for not having more done...  While it is up and running, the nicer editor is not working yet. Partly because its on a FreeBSD box and there are no directions for making it run off that (so I have alot of research in "why doesnt this part work")  and partly because I have both a newborn AND im buying a house. very little free-time besides lulls at work.

One tangential question.  What do you think about making the content free under the Creative Commons BY-SA license?  That way, anyone who wishes to copy (archive, fork, print, ...) would be free to do so.  A good example of a site using this license is Wikipedia.  If you scroll to the very bottom of their home page, you'll see:
This page is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
What that may mean, though, is that if we copy text and pictures from this forum over to the wiki, we may have to ask permission of the forum writer first.  Unless...  Is the content on this forum under CC BY-SA ?

the forums agreement is here: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/agreement.txt
Apparently nothing posted here is copyrighted. Atleast thats my read of this section:
You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.

as for the wiki.. at this time theres no copyright or license selected. Personally I consider everything about it to be public domain, but I havent really even given much thought about it. I certainly do not think I "own" the content on there, even though I pay for the server... And I cant see how any one person can claim ownership of a document that is community created. I would imagine that currently its as free as it can get.  A lawyer may argue that theres no explicit right to copy, but who has the rights to ownership to ask in the first place?

Im just avoiding all that by leaving it mildly ambiguous and not worrying about it. I'll only structure it if some legal issue pops up.  For example years ago I ran into an issue with trademarks and fair use. Thats why there is a disclaimer on the bottom of every page of the zero wiki. Its dumb but if zero didnt protect their trademark and let me use it without that disclaimer, they could end up losing control of their trademark. I can avoid the whole issue with a simple disclaimer saying they own the rights, and claiming fair use... and they're safe, im safe and we all move on happy.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »

Usual disclaimer I'm not a lawyer however I saw someone mention Public Domain and felt compelled to speak up about it.

Having no copyright (i.e. the use of term Public Domain) is the same as having an undefined copyright which is then exploitable by a bad actor to extort your users for settlement money and court costs, or at the very least a DMCA takedown notice and warrantless wiretap / request to compel the service provider to identify users. Good ol' hollywood-cronyism and terrorism-fearing USA, and all countries under its trade agreement influences. If you happen to be from Germany, things get even more complicated with libel and reputation of the authoring person factoring into matters of copyright.

So yeah if this is something we're at all concerned about, having correct attribution for information and media sources (including our own under a legitimate copyright license) is important. Just so you know!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »

Agreed about copyright; pretty sure the site owner just hasn't filled one in and will do so once they think it through. CC BY-SA would fit my publication intent, anyway.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:33 AM »

That's weird, how would running on FreeBSD have anything to do with the absence of the editor?  I thought the editor would be client-side, anyway.  Maybe the thing to do is get the latest version of the wiki platform in tarball form and use that instead of what the latest one that came with that version of FreeBSD is.  Though, it could be something as simple as a config file option to be set.

First off an apology for not having more done...  While it is up and running, the nicer editor is not working yet. Partly because its on a FreeBSD box and there are no directions for making it run off that (so I have alot of research in "why doesnt this part work")  and partly because I have both a newborn AND im buying a house. very little free-time besides lulls at work.

the forums agreement is here: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/agreement.txt
Apparently nothing posted here is copyrighted. Atleast thats my read of this section:
You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.

as for the wiki.. at this time theres no copyright or license selected. Personally I consider everything about it to be public domain, but I havent really even given much thought about it. I certainly do not think I "own" the content on there, even though I pay for the server... And I cant see how any one person can claim ownership of a document that is community created. I would imagine that currently its as free as it can get.  A lawyer may argue that theres no explicit right to copy, but who has the rights to ownership to ask in the first place?

Im just avoiding all that by leaving it mildly ambiguous and not worrying about it. I'll only structure it if some legal issue pops up.  For example years ago I ran into an issue with trademarks and fair use. Thats why there is a disclaimer on the bottom of every page of the zero wiki. Its dumb but if zero didnt protect their trademark and let me use it without that disclaimer, they could end up losing control of their trademark. I can avoid the whole issue with a simple disclaimer saying they own the rights, and claiming fair use... and they're safe, im safe and we all move on happy.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 12:23:06 AM »

It looks like they've gone to 3rd party plugins to make this happen.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WYSIWYG_editor

You're running version 1.26.3

This plugin should probably work:
https://github.com/Mediawiki-wysiwyg/WYSIWYG-CKeditor

It's close, the most recent version it appears to have been adapted to is 1.26.2.  Any problems should be really really minor.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »

That's weird, how would running on FreeBSD have anything to do with the absence of the editor?  I thought the editor would be client-side, anyway.  Maybe the thing to do is get the latest version of the wiki platform in tarball form and use that instead of what the latest one that came with that version of FreeBSD is.  Though, it could be something as simple as a config file option to be set.

Im trying to setup the VisualEditor extension.
The Parsoid service is a prerequisite.
There are no direct directions on what I need to do to get Parsoid running on the FreeBSD server.
I tried the obvious developer install directions, but had a bunch of errors.

Im working though it one step at a time. I got a few tips on what to look at and setup from someone that did it before.
When Im done, I'll probably edit THEIR wiki with how to get it working on FreeBSD.. lol

as to why the Visual Editor extension when the other one is easier?  Because its a much better editor. I think having the better editor will help us keep a better wiki. Even if it is more work.

Why does it need special setup?  Because you have to translate between Wiki markup and HTML that is what the Parser Service does.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 01:42:28 AM »

Do you have a capture of the error output?

Is there any content in /var/log/parsoid/parsoid.log (or similar)?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »

I've added a Usage article (commuting, sport, offroad, travel): http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Usage

Naturally, I deal with commuting and travel, mainly, so wrote about those so far.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 01:12:11 AM »

I just went to copy a couple files into the wiki and realized I never turned on drag and drop.
Now if you want to add images or files to a wiki page, you can drag and drop them into the editor, upload them from there, and insert links or images as needed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 02:31:09 AM »

I just went to copy a couple files into the wiki and realized I never turned on drag and drop.
Now if you want to add images or files to a wiki page, you can drag and drop them into the editor, upload them from there, and insert links or images as needed.

Thank you! Upload has been a little tedious, but mainly trying to crop and scale photos offline and then go through the form to see them on the page.

Do you have the chance to add a default copyright declaration option like CC-SA or public domain?

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »

Im trying to setup the VisualEditor extension.
The Parsoid service is a prerequisite.
There are no direct directions on what I need to do to get Parsoid running on the FreeBSD server.
I tried the obvious developer install directions, but had a bunch of errors.

Im working though it one step at a time. I got a few tips on what to look at and setup from someone that did it before.
When Im done, I'll probably edit THEIR wiki with how to get it working on FreeBSD.. lol

Hey, I work on unix systems quite a bit. If you'd like a hand with it, shoot me a message.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »

Thank you! Upload has been a little tedious, but mainly trying to crop and scale photos offline and then go through the form to see them on the page.

Do you have the chance to add a default copyright declaration option like CC-SA or public domain?
I'll make a note to do that tomorrow morning at work. Im running out the door now and unlikely to get to it tonight.
Plus I have to read whats different between them. lol.

as far as photos go, I use this:
https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
once installed, you can just right click on some images in windows explorer, and bulk resize.
You can also rotate that way if needed.
then drag/drop into the editor.
click upload
and add inline as needed from the upload links.

from 2 pdfs to wiki page, I did this in about 1 minute flat, but I'm all setup to do stuff like this at work, and I have insane upload speed.

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/FX_Chain_OEM_install_instructions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11