• April 24, 2024, 08:43:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual  (Read 16608 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Unofficial Zero Owners Manual
« on: June 16, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »

So I have been handed a project that I think is a great idea for the community, but I dont have time or resources to properly fill it out.

http://zeromanual.com/

The idea is simple.  The community comes together and helps fill out a wiki of how-tos, and information.
Later when someone needs something, like how to change the belt, or torque specs... they can easily look it up without pawing through 100s of forum pages.
I am the owner of the URL and pay for the server hosting, so I can say with certainty that it will be up for a very very long time. Ad free and open for everyone.

If anyone wants to add to the site, please do. Its an open wiki. I have registration required to edit, but only to keep bots and vandalism to a minimum.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »

Thanks for setting this up and hosting it. I'll do my part to fill in the areas I've bookmarked or tracked.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »

Thanks for setting this up and hosting it. I'll do my part to fill in the areas I've bookmarked or tracked.
Thanks for putting in the time on it.
Its frustrating for me, because even though I am at a PC all day, I only get a few blips of time here and there. Not enough to format large pages and articles.
For example, I stopped 4 times while writing this post, because work comes first. lol.

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »

Is it possible to upload a doc to the wiki? I putted around for a few minutes but couldn't figure that out. I have an OEM manual for dis/assembly of the tail fairing I received when backchanneling with Zero that was super helpful when I did a project a couple weeks ago. A bit too cumbersome (it's maybe 7 pages with a couple dozen helpful pics/diagrams) to try and deconstruct PDF and paste into the wiki interface but happy to upload if able.
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »

Is it possible to upload a doc to the wiki? I putted around for a few minutes but couldn't figure that out. I have an OEM manual for dis/assembly of the tail fairing I received when backchanneling with Zero that was super helpful when I did a project a couple weeks ago. A bit too cumbersome (it's maybe 7 pages with a couple dozen helpful pics/diagrams) to try and deconstruct PDF and paste into the wiki interface but happy to upload if able.

I keep a large repository of relevant available PDFs on a Dropbox account which I've shared privately. I'm unsure whether to host some things publicly, but it's probably a good idea.

Also, Zero may not want that released, so perhaps just list a way to contact you about it...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »

This is now significantly updated with some of the major areas I've tracked. I'm editing on a per-section basis so hopefully if others pile on we won't collide much.

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »

I keep a large repository of relevant available PDFs on a Dropbox account which I've shared privately. I'm unsure whether to host some things publicly, but it's probably a good idea.

Also, Zero may not want that released, so perhaps just list a way to contact you about it...

I'm happy to send it to you and you can host it from your dropbox if you wish. I'll continue to one-off email it to those that request it. Zero and I collaborated for a week getting this project done and instruction manual authored and I was told it will be hung on their website, so I can't envision any issues with hanging it on the wiki.
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »

I'm happy to send it to you and you can host it from your dropbox if you wish. I'll continue to one-off email it to those that request it. Zero and I collaborated for a week getting this project done and instruction manual authored and I was told it will be hung on their website, so I can't envision any issues with hanging it on the wiki.

Excellent.

I just went through the setup process and you can now upload the following file types:
png, gif, jpg, jpeg, pdf, ppt, jp2, webp, doc, docx, xls, xlsx.

To upload a file, look to the left side of the site, and "upload file" should be under tools.
This also lets you upload images for diagrams and such.

I will eventually make it so you can embed and show the PDF on the page without downloading it, but that takes more setup time and I am currently at work.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:05:47 AM »

I just tested the PDF upload with Burton's diagram for 2013 Model S. Seems to work perfectly for linking. I'll have to research what I need to do to enable embedding PDFs.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:41:09 AM »

Before getting too deep, would it be worthwhile to think a bit more about the site's topography? I see some "MY2013" type headings, and that's good, but is there a way to break it down by model number as well? Seems rather painful and inefficient to sort through all the model years and models to get the information relevant to my bike.

Granted, wikis are known for their search utilities, but is there a quick and easy way to organize things up front?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:01:39 AM »

Before getting too deep, would it be worthwhile to think a bit more about the site's topography? I see some "MY2013" type headings, and that's good, but is there a way to break it down by model number as well? Seems rather painful and inefficient to sort through all the model years and models to get the information relevant to my bike.

Granted, wikis are known for their search utilities, but is there a quick and easy way to organize things up front?

Yeah, there is alot of content on one page at the moment. I am kind of letting it organically flush itself out.
As more stuff piles up under one heading, it will be changed into a link and moved to a separate page.

Theres a hard balancing act here..
on one hand if you split things up too fine, you get alot of dead or empty links and its hard to read through.
on the other hand, if you dont split things off, it all piles up into one HUGE page that is impossible to look through.

Any user can make a new page, Im not restricting it. Right now though I think people are just trying to get the info they had trouble finding earlier, out into the wiki.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 01:16:26 AM »

Yeah, there is alot of content on one page at the moment. I am kind of letting it organically flush itself out.
As more stuff piles up under one heading, it will be changed into a link and moved to a separate page.

Theres a hard balancing act here..
on one hand if you split things up too fine, you get alot of dead or empty links and its hard to read through.
on the other hand, if you dont split things off, it all piles up into one HUGE page that is impossible to look through.

Any user can make a new page, Im not restricting it. Right now though I think people are just trying to get the info they had trouble finding earlier, out into the wiki.

Agreed about all of this. I did realize I put charger options in when I should have just described the charging inputs and behavior. So that'll get split out shortly.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:00 AM »

This topic hits on information architecture, but for now it's easier to say "here's a table of brake pads by model year" than to look up model year and see a separate document and have to click elsewhere to find comparisons. It's a tradeoff, and I'm with MrDude on letting it evolve a bit and err on the side of "getting the info put together first" and sort it out later.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »

Just a quick one to say thanks for doing this Mr Dude. I look forward to having a look round and hopefully contributing myself.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »

Hope Zero is watching this post and assist in providing some info.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11