• April 23, 2024, 12:03:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New to Electric biking - 2016 SR ZF13  (Read 1020 times)

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
New to Electric biking - 2016 SR ZF13
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:36:05 AM »

Hi all.

I recently test rode a Zero SR (and today a Zero DSR) and I am pretty blown away.

First and foremost, its torque delivery is something else! I cant imagine what something like the Lightning LS218 would be like.
I do appreciate its overall power isn't "blazing fast" but the way it delivers it makes it feel like a 1000cc sports bike between 25-65mph.

I am a big Eco rider, trying to eek out the most miles per unit of fuel (I have built 4 diesel engined motorbikes that run on waste vegetable oil) and have a NC700 honda at the moment (good usable eco bike)

I am currently trying to secure a deal on a new zero SR. As is usual in the UK, you have to do all the work for the dealers, even on a £14,000 bike.

My rides are a bit of a random combination, but in the UK many charging points are free to use. I won't be specifying the charge tank option as I believe there are better options, which brings me to my question.

What are the best fast charge options at the moment, it seems digikeys offering is the best, but I am having issues getting an idea of price. Most units in the UK have the Mennekes connector on them, and I am not that bothered about fast charging at home.

Should that change, are there better fast charge options at home (wall mounted chargers etc?)

Thanks all!

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
Re: New to Electric biking - 2016 SR ZF13
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:39:18 PM »

I know my first post isn't particularly exciting but I didn't think it was that bad :)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 12:44:11 AM »

Not bad at all, you just didn't ask any questions that needed a response, other than the charger options. There are many threads about the available charging options, but I think the great majority of people are just using the stock charger. That's what I'm doing, until I receive my Diginow...I'm next on the list!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:02:39 AM »

Not bad at all, you just didn't ask any questions that needed a response, other than the charger options. There are many threads about the available charging options, but I think the great majority of people are just using the stock charger. That's what I'm doing, until I receive my Diginow...I'm next on the list!

Agreed, but that's the one I am most confused about. I have been finding it difficult to get usable info from the threads (the new wiki will help with that though).

Big question, will the diginow charger void the warranty?

I have been directed to a couple of people to speak to regarding ordering, but haven't had a response. I assume they are very busy under the launch/testing so have been patient.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:08:23 AM »

The warranty thing is a hard question to answer. 
Technically using any charger other than the zero approved chargers COULD give them a loophole to void your warranty.

However historically, we have the company not voiding anything for the Hollywood Electrics charger, or any other charger (to my knowledge).
We also have the engineers that design it state that its pretty hard to hurt the battery, as it will just disconnect to protect itself.
The Diginow isnt limited to the restrictions that the OEM charger has to heed... and therefore its a more powerful charger in a smaller box. It is designed explicitly for the zero, and should work safely.

I personally wouldnt have a problem with any of the chargers, including the good DIY solutions, but I am a larger risk taker than most when it comes to battery charging.

So... its one of those things where you know theres a risk, so you probably dont want to mention it to your dealer... but you're probably just ok.

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 01:26:47 AM »

Thats a pretty good reasoning.

I have no thoughts that a diginow would cause damage, but lets say the motor packs in. I would hate for the dealer to have an argument against fixing the bike. I am pretty good with electrics, so could install/remove prior to visiting the dealer should it be required.

I am leaning towards the charge tank, purely because its available now. Depends how much the dealer wants to charge :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 01:29:35 AM »

If I were a new owner, I would wait a bit for more experienced owners to shake out the early issues with the Supercharger before dropping a lot of money on it. That's not saying anything about its quality, more that it's really early in the adoption curve.

Also, you should make sure your Zero is running reliably for a bit before adding complex systems to it, and also take time to understand what the super charger does (once documentation can be released).

While Zero has only approved certain chargers, warrantee issues will center around probable cause and effect. So your brakes are covered but maybe not some core electrical fault if you've been using a high powered charger.

Harlan at Hollywood Electrics has a lot of experience working with Zero, and there are possibly fewer issues with his Elcon chargers or Zero quick chargers than with the onboard chargers.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 01:49:16 AM »

I have no thoughts that a diginow would cause damage, but lets say the motor packs in. I would hate for the dealer to have an argument against fixing the bike.

I have no idea about UK law... In the USA we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Its a Federal statute that basically says, you have to uphold your warranty unless you can prove modifications made by the end user are responsible for the failure.  So running a charger on the bike wont keep a motor from being covered, or the brakes/suspension/chassis from being covered... but it MIGHT make the battery and some other electrical parts no-longer be covered.

I would hope there is a similar law in the UK, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to look.

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 01:54:27 AM »

I have never read anything about such a law in the UK. I believe the response would be similar as the USA though. If its a completely unrelated system, the warranty is still intact. I will have to do some reading on that side of things. Thanks.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »

I am pretty sure that people at Zero have understood the Super Charger well enough to advise caution when using it. We are talking about high power density electrical power conversion equipment. Even if it were perfectly designed, there is a chance that either system (motorcycle or charger) could damage the other if operated irresponsibly. Naturally, this will almost always be a blown fuse, but blowing your Zero accessory charging port fuse by overcharging will probably not be covered under warrantee!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »

I am pretty sure that people at Zero have understood the Super Charger well enough to advise caution when using it. We are talking about high power density electrical power conversion equipment. Even if it were perfectly designed, there is a chance that either system (motorcycle or charger) could damage the other if operated irresponsibly. Naturally, this will almost always be a blown fuse, but blowing your Zero accessory charging port fuse by overcharging will probably not be covered under warrantee!

Indeed, I wouldn't expect any possible damage caused by the supercharger to be covered though.

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »

Order placed for a 2016 SR with commuter screen and NO charge tank... will hope something opens up after that.

BertTrack

• Nutty
  • Zero FX 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:07:29 AM »

Congratulations :)
X rated fun. I mean FX

alexanderfoti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »