• April 26, 2024, 11:27:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supercharging adventures  (Read 1958 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Supercharging adventures
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »

My digiNow supercharger is on my bike and I have been testing it out.  The first, and most important, test was at a NEMA 14-50 outlet.  I'll be using these all day on June 16th when I leave for my Four Corners of the USA journey. 

Here is a video of testing it out.

Attached photos:
1)  Peak charging power was close to 10kW at a NEMA 14-50.
2) Average charging power was between 8-9kw.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Supercharging adventures
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »

Nice paint job, so that's why you had to remove the plastics.

Can't view visit view the video because of my connection, but how did the controller installation go?

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:08:58 AM »

Congratulations!  I am so jealous!   

Can't wait to hear about your trip...  be safe.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:21:32 AM »

Hey, that's great! Maybe soon they'll start shipping units to the rest of us who gave them $3000 in October.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »

The video will embed if you use http instead of https in the URL.

! No longer available

Are you planning to take the Elcons as well, for insurance?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

Ok Ben so it looks like you had real high amps up through over 91% than it started easing up which is nice.  So the big question how long to go from say 20% to around 95% on that big 1450.
Nice new tank too, enjoy your journey  and spread the word like an easy riding Johnny Appleseed.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »

So is the Diginow on the passenger seat and another charger on the side rack?

Is the noise the Fan on full blast?  If you install the Diginow in the 'tank' area, how does it get airflow?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

So is the Diginow on the passenger seat and another charger on the side rack?

Is the noise the Fan on full blast?  If you install the Diginow in the 'tank' area, how does it get airflow?

This is not the recommended install location, and might be temporary for testing. The tank location gets plenty of ventilation under the plastics and between the frame and battery. Running the charger within an open top case should also provide enough ventilation.

The fans run at a single speed whenever the charger has power. This is not a regular charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »

Hey, that's great! Maybe soon they'll start shipping units to the rest of us who gave them $3000 in October.

Yes. Soon. Please be patient; they're ensuring that the product has the right quality of build and system interaction.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »

Ok Ben so it looks like you had real high amps up through over 91% than it started easing up which is nice.  So the big question how long to go from say 20% to around 95% on that big 1450.

The short answer is that it really more or less works like P=IV. So, current times voltage and time yields state of charge change. The Zero app estimates time to 100% rather well so you can set an alarm by it (say) 10 minutes early to get a reasonable top off.

A community driven trip planning guide is probably going to happen, because charging doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »

Brian are you running both chargers at the same time?

And if so how are you getting around power running from one charger to the other during charging, big diode?

Or are you running one set of chargers through the controller and the other through the on-board aux charging port?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »

Sometimes just the supercharger, sometimes both. Install is the latter, already documented but not trivial to operate, not a casual thing to just adopt.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 12:43:54 AM »

Please be patient; they're ensuring that the product has the right quality of build and system interaction.

That's easy to say when you've got one. Apparently the "quality of build and system interaction" was good enough for Ben, but not for the rest of us? Look up the phrase "creeping elegance". At some point you have to actually ship product.

Seriously, this went from ridiculous to absurd a long time ago, and now it's just starting to smell like weeks-old trash. I realize I may be killing the messenger here, but since you seem to have a back channel the rest of us don't, light a fire under those guys.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »

Please be patient; they're ensuring that the product has the right quality of build and system interaction.

That's easy to say when you've got one. Apparently the "quality of build and system interaction" was good enough for Ben, but not for the rest of us? Look up the phrase "creeping elegance". At some point you have to actually ship product.

Seriously, this went from ridiculous to absurd a long time ago, and now it's just starting to smell like weeks-old trash. I realize I may be killing the messenger here, but since you seem to have a back channel the rest of us don't, light a fire under those guys.

I really understand your frustration, but lighting a fire is literally the wrong thing to do if you want something that works. Ben's ride has PR value and he's game to deal with the teething issues. I'm dealing with them because I volunteered and can deal with all the engineering explanations and rough edges.

These guys have been working beyond normal hours and solving integration problems that literally everyone else threw their hands up about. The risk for failure for early adopters is getting stuck remotely with slow charging, so be glad it's me and not you.

I may be enjoying electric touring at times but I'm wasting a lot of time testing and fiddling and checking performance and reliability issues. It's not smooth sailing; I get to figure out headwinds and weird or occupied chargers, how to navigate small towns, reading Plugshare very carefully, and optimizing my Elcon rollout and cable arrangement. Not to mention being a newbie at this and soliciting advice from the extremely tiny group of experienced people, hoping to package that advice up for others.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 01:19:37 AM »

They DO exist...
They're just an incredibly hard product to design/test and mass produce. Im making something much simpler for myself, and I have more issues than expected. lol.
Would pictures help you feel better?

Pages: [1] 2