• April 27, 2024, 10:28:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: M5 Givi plate for Zero rack?  (Read 2269 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
M5 Givi plate for Zero rack?
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »

Does anyone know if the M5 plate can mount on the Zero top case rack for the S/DS/R models? I know the universal adaptor plate works. I wonder if the M5 would work too. Some drilling or minor mods should not be an issue. Anyone tried it? I'm getting a used Givi box that comes with the M5 plate and was wondering if I can make it work on the Zero. I could  try to sell the M5 plate and get a universal one, if it does not work...
'15 Zero SR

Yon

• View Profile
Re: M5 Givi plate for Zero rack?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »

It may. Try it. If not the standard monokey plate can be found for around 20 USD and come with the majority of monokey GIVI

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »

Where have you seen it for $20? Best I see has been $50-ish...
'15 Zero SR

MorbidBBQ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »

I just got the universal one from www.compacc.com for over $50.  Wondering where someone saw anything compatiable under $40.

Its for the trekker case (monokey)
2013 Zero S
2007 Yamaha FZ6
2005 Ninja 250
1983 Honda CSR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »

I guess no one has tried an M5 plate on the Zero? I will try it pretty soon - my rack is at the dealer waiting for me, and I got the box and plate at home. The M5 plate only has 4 holes for securing to a rack, so unless they happen to fit the dimensions of the Zero rack, it will need some additional metal plates and some drilling (which is possible and not difficult to do). Will see soon enough, I suppose...
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »

The Givi M5 does not fit the Zero factory rack. The rear can be fit by drilling a pair of new holes on the rack. But the front is too wide. However, I think I'll make it fit the front too, using and added metal plate. Will mount the plate to the rack and mount the M5 to it. Instead of a big sheet of metal that covers all 4 holes, I will try to use a narrower strip in the front. In the rear, I'll use a pair of washers to level it with the front where I will have the metal strip. I will do a quick prototype in the next few days with a 3mm aluminum plate, which I happen to have lying around in my garage. I already have some short metric screws that I think will be perfect to hold that plate in place when paired with some nylon lock washers. I'll use a countersink drill bit and a drill press to make them flush with the plate. It will be a little project that, for about $4 in hardware and some scrap metal should let me reuse the M5 rather than spend $60+ on a universal plate. The M5 I think looks better and feels sturdier than the universal.
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 02:08:56 AM »

I made some simple adapter plates to install the Givi M5 plate on the Zero factory rack. Just need to buy some stainless steel nuts and washers this afternoon and the install will be complete. Pretty simple to make.

I'll post some photos and a quick write-up after I am done. I used aluminum plates of somewhat smaller dimensions than ideal, so not 100% sure if it will be strong enough to support the monstrous 55L Givi case with some load in it. Will see soon enough. Ideally, one would use a full plate instead of two strips like I did, but it seems sturdy enough that I hope it will work fine. And if it isn't strong enough, at worst it will bend, but should not fail catastrophically.
'15 Zero SR

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:05:33 AM »

I made some simple adapter plates to install the Givi M5 plate on the Zero factory rack. Just need to buy some stainless steel nuts and washers this afternoon and the install will be complete. Pretty simple to make.

I'll post some photos and a quick write-up after I am done. I used aluminum plates of somewhat smaller dimensions than ideal, so not 100% sure if it will be strong enough to support the monstrous 55L Givi case with some load in it. Will see soon enough. Ideally, one would use a full plate instead of two strips like I did, but it seems sturdy enough that I hope it will work fine. And if it isn't strong enough, at worst it will bend, but should not fail catastrophically.
I look forward to seeing your setup when you finish

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:36:19 AM »

All set. Here are some photos. I think it is self-explanatory what I did. I have a drill press and a 90 degree countersink drill bit, so I made the bolts that hold the plates to the Zero factory rack flush. I think there is space under the M5 (it is a honey-comb plastic, not solid) to position it so that you don't have to countersink the heads, but this is a cleaner install.

Materials:
- 1/8" thick aluminum bar, 36" x2" from Home Depot. Approx. $11
- 4x stainless steel washers, and M6 metric screws and nylon lock nuts. Approx. $8

The aluminum is easy to cut with a jigsaw. Can be cut pretty easy by had with a hacksaw too. All holes are done with 6mm metric drill bit.

This case is 55L, and easily holds my two flip-up size L helmets side by side. Comes with a wireless remote too :) and wiring for the lights (but I would need to do the wiring some other time - right now I've installed just the case.

Have not ridden it yet, so not sure how the bike will feel. Getting my leg over the seat with that case might be interesting and a second person might have to climb over the seat instead of swing a leg over the tail.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:53:49 AM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 03:37:13 AM »

More
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:41 AM »